Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's been a tough couple days around here.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been a tough couple days around here.

Last weekend we had a strong thunderstorm roll through, downing many trees and blocking roads as well as loss of electric for thousands of customers. We were just starting to get it cleaned up when this past Friday evening another severe t-storm shows up. This one was worse than the first with very strong straight line winds over 70 mph, lots of rain, and knocking out power to the southern 7 counties in the state. We didn't get power back until early this morning, cable and internet this afternoon

We are lucky, there are many who the utility projects they will not get power back until July 6. There are some who still don't have power back from 10 days ago, now they may wait another 6 days. We had no serious damage to our home or property, only a few branches down. But in my driving over the last 36 hours to find gas for the generator, i saw many homes with trees on them, wires down everywhere, and roads blocked off by wires and trees. The electric company has been surveying the damage from helicopters since it so hard to get around. Local government vehicles have their snow plows mounted and are using them to do light duty dozing to clear roads of branches.

This is the first chance i have had to get on here.

Thank goodness I got that generator and the Generlink last Fall. It certainly paid off over the past 2 days. I could power anything in the house safely without putting utility workers at risk, all through one connection to the house at the meter.

i have a photo of the setup i'll add later
    Last edited by Bob D.; 07-01-2012, 10:02 PM. Reason: fixed some typos
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: It's been a tough couple days around here.

Leaves on the trees catch those winds like sails on a boat! Glad you dodged a bullet. I don't look forward to those messy storms, but enjoy helping out with the chainsaws. Got a "Interlok" kit which locks out the main breaker and allows you to choose which circuits to power with your generator. Mounted the box outside but still waiting for my wife's cousin to wire the breaker to the outside receptacle. I am not cheap and offered to pay him well but he's real busy. I need to pick up a length of 10/3 and just do it!

Comment

Not usually seen in this part of the Country, we experienced the weather phenomena known as "Derechos" and can be very violent. More below.

Comment

Oh man I forgot to mention the lightning. I never saw a lightning show like this in all my life. It was mostly cloud-to-cloud and it just kept flashing about 30 or 40 times a minute for almost an hour. Never saw that before. It was like being in at a football stadium during a concert and seeing all the flashes as people take pictures, it was that kind of rapid fire progression. Was talking to my neighbor this evening and he commented on it too. I loaned him my little generator to keep his fridge cool. It's only 2300 watts so won't handle much more than that but it saved everything he had in the fridge. My 10K Generac was
        working great. I could run my well pump and the boiler for hot water plus lights. when we didn't
        need the pump I opened that breaker and let the AC run to keep it cool inside. I was mainly running
        the generator for the fridge and freezer and had plenty of reserve power so I figured why not run the AC.

Still have 120000+ customers w/o power. Here's an active map that is updated every few minutes.
        I don't know why we have power because on the map it shows everywhere around us for over a mile
        is out. But my street with a dozen homes is all lit up like Christmas eve.

http://www.co.cumberland.nj.us/contr...px?FeedID=3815

The news article above is dated July 3 but its only the first of July as I write this. They've got it written
        past tense and talk like the cleanup is over but its still going on. There are trees and poles down that I
        know the line crews won't get to until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest. A friend 10 miles away was
        told it would be July 9th before his power is back on.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 07-01-2012, 09:49 PM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

God Bless You all. Nice You'v done Your homework. I keep the Motor Home for this very reason. 33.ft. and has it all for Mom N Pop.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            God Bless You all. Nice You'v done Your homework. I keep the Motor Home for this very reason. 33.ft. and has it all for Mom N Pop.
            Tool, If the storm is big enough to take out trees and power maybe it'll be big enough to take out the RV too? Scattering risk might suggest storing the RV in a remote location so it's ready when you need it.

May I suggest my driveway?
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              Tool, If the storm is big enough to take out trees and power maybe it'll be big enough to take out the RV too? Scattering risk might suggest storing the RV in a remote location so it's ready when you need it.

May I suggest my driveway?
              Our concern In N. Ca. is Earth Quakes not wind. I Keep it at My const. Yard. I have an old tent I can send .
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Our concern In N. Ca. is Earth Quakes not wind. I Keep it at My const. Yard. I have an old tent I can send .
                I'll take it.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                X