Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stress-Good for the immune system?

Short-term stress may boost immune response - SFGate

Re: Stress-Good for the immune system?

I define short term stress as "Life"! I don't think we can reasonably expect to avoid stress any more than we can not expect to experience pleasure or other mood altering or challenging situations. Learning to deal with life's ups and downs is key to a full and balanced life. I do think long term stressful situations involving things like health or money can be debilitating.

Comment

It's the numerous, long, slow daily stresses that will be the death of me.

Comment

A thoughtful letter ( I think) in response to the article:

Lessen your stress

It was disappointing to see the headline "Stressed Out? Good for your immune system" in the Health section Thursday. Stress is widespread across the United States, and the consequences can be physically and psychologically damaging. The phrase "stressed out" rarely refers to acute stress in the biological sense, like the short-term stress studied by Dr. Firdaus Dhabhar.
        Rather than encourage Chronicle readers to stress out, why not encourage exercise? Moderate to intense exercise temporarily increases stress hormone levels, causing the same beneficial immune response mentioned in the article, while also lowering stress, improving cognitive function and lowering risk for developing many chronic diseases.
        Reducing stress and encouraging exercise are especially important for children, whose rising obesity rates are troubling. Overweight and obese children experience higher levels of stress and depression. It is crucial to address these problems for the future health and well-being of our children. Schools should teach children healthy habits, like physical activity and stress reduction. With stress hormones, like most other things, the dose makes the poison. But why take the risk when there are better alternatives?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
          A thoughtful letter ( I think) in response to the article:

Lessen your stress

It was disappointing to see the headline "Stressed Out? Good for your immune system" in the Health section Thursday. Stress is widespread across the United States, and the consequences can be physically and psychologically damaging. The phrase "stressed out" rarely refers to acute stress in the biological sense, like the short-term stress studied by Dr. Firdaus Dhabhar.
          Rather than encourage Chronicle readers to stress out, why not encourage exercise? Moderate to intense exercise temporarily increases stress hormone levels, causing the same beneficial immune response mentioned in the article, while also lowering stress, improving cognitive function and lowering risk for developing many chronic diseases.
          Reducing stress and encouraging exercise are especially important for children, whose rising obesity rates are troubling. Overweight and obese children experience higher levels of stress and depression. It is crucial to address these problems for the future health and well-being of our children. Schools should teach children healthy habits, like physical activity and stress reduction. With stress hormones, like most other things, the dose makes the poison. But why take the risk when there are better alternatives?
          I agree with the writer above regarding exercise and healthy behavior but I think the person missed the point of the article. We cannot avoid stressful situations and must learn to deal with such things in a healty, realistic manner. Wheter it is the loss of a loved one, personal health issue , trouble with money, or something else that causes stress, these things and more will happen during the course of our lives.
          I think it's better to recognize when we are experiencing stress and work though it the best we can, than to expect it can be somehow avoided. Stress can manifest itself by causing cramps and muscle spasms, so self awareness and relaxation helps to lessen the damage.
          I have seen very healthy and fit people self destruct from stress because they were not prepared to deal with it properly.

Comment

Working...
          X