Swimming pool maladventure.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming pool maladventure.

This last weekend my wife and I took our three grandkids to a hotel and indoor waterpark with water slides for kids.

At the time of the "incident" we had two kids on our hands. I was taking the 4 year old across a pool on floating pads. The water was 4' deep or so. (Over their heads). My fully clothed wife had the 3 year old. My wife yells my name, I look over and see the 32" tall 3 year old walk into the pool and vanish into 4'6" of water. She wrenched her hand from grandma's, ignored grandma and went for the pool. I was maybe twenty feet away in 4'-6" feet of water. I left the four year old on a pad (she knew to stay put) and hustled as fast as I could to the edge of the pool. My wife was getting ready to jump in (camera, purse and all). I was about six feet away and suddenly a life guard comes up out of the water with my granddaughter. Asking if she's OK. My granddaughter was not upset but instead was irritated with the life guard for touching her! Can you believe it?

She disappeared into the water in a blink. That fast.

While my wife and I would have had Brynna out in just a few more seconds I was so grateful I gave the shocked lifeguard a $50 tip and a hug. Odds were in our favor I guess. There were no other kids in that part of the pool except me and my 4 year old granddaughter and when my wife yelled my name the lifeguard, who was sitting in the lifeguard chair ten feet from where the "peanut" went in the water was able to respond instantly.

Now instead of calling her peanut I call her little miss fearless. The girls are taking swim lessons but aren't swimming yet.

The 3 year old had been playing in the zero entry depth pool so didn't have a life preserver on. After the "incident" both girls wore life preservers. Lesson learned.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Swimming pool maladventure.

I have an above ground pool and my neighbor has an inground pool. We both have fences surrounding them with latches on the inside, so an adult would have to reach over from the outside to gain access. We know kids are fast and curious, you don't want them to be fearful of water and pools, but until they understand the dangers it is up to us to protect them! Just last week a 45 year old woman near my town drowned in her new pool. Even adults should not swim alone! Glad swift action avoided serious harm. Frank

Comment

geno, glad to hear it was more of a scare than anything else.

phoebe's been in swim class for the last 10 months every sunday morning. it's daddy and phoebe time.

but before that time, we went to catalina island for a few days and everyone thought i was crazy for putting her in a life vest at age 11 months while in the ocean 7' deep. of course the $20. vest was well worth the laughter we endured.

now she knows and respects the water.

then at age 20 months we went to lego land an i couldn't get her out of the water park. no vest and the big slides. fortunately every 2 hours they shut down the water park to give the parents a breather and get the kids out for 10 minutes. that was our chance to get out of the water park and back into the amusement park. what a difference a little time makes.

before soon she will be jumping off the bungy bridge with me

glad to hear that all is well and the heads up for all.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Geno, glad it ended up no more than a scare. Unfortunately for a family I know, it didn't turn out so well. Colin Becker, only 2 drowned last week, its very sad. I know the family and have worked on some projects in the past for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
          Geno, glad it ended up no more than a scare. Unfortunately for a family I know, it didn't turn out so well. Colin Becker, only 2 drowned last week, its very sad. I know the family and have worked on some projects in the past for them.
          Alpha,

I am so very sorry to read this. There's nothing worse than a child dying. A family losing a child is a tragedy. Losing a child, you lose all the love you've invested and then you can only hope you made their life happy during your time together. I'm very sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            geno, glad to hear it was more of a scare than anything else.

phoebe's been in swim class for the last 10 months every sunday morning. it's daddy and phoebe time.

but before that time, we went to catalina island for a few days and everyone thought i was crazy for putting her in a life vest at age 11 months while in the ocean 7' deep. of course the $20. vest was well worth the laughter we endured.

now she knows and respects the water.

then at age 20 months we went to lego land an i couldn't get her out of the water park. no vest and the big slides. fortunately every 2 hours they shut down the water park to give the parents a breather and get the kids out for 10 minutes. that was our chance to get out of the water park and back into the amusement park. what a difference a little time makes.

before soon she will be jumping off the bungy bridge with me

glad to hear that all is well and the heads up for all.

rick.
            What kind of moron laughs when someone puts a life vest on an 11 month old when in deep water? (7' is deep enough to drown pretty much everyone I know even if they are standing on their tip toes.)
            When a young child is in the water, I think it's all about adult supervision.

You should remember having the proper protection on to save your hide from falls the next time you're 20' in the air and have something you can attach a tether to. $65 is cheap to save your spine.

Comment

Swimming is an essential skill for young children. You can do no better service to your children than to teach them to swim and let them get used to the water in their own swimming pool.Two of the most important and necessary safety products available to any pool owner, especially one with young children, are fences and pool covers.I agreed what's said above!!!

Wide Range of Oval Pools | Above Ground Pools
              Last edited by davidryan8100; 11-08-2013, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Geno,

Thanks for the post, I'm very happy it all turned out so well and that she is safe and not the least bit startled and now frightened to go back to the pool.

I'm whole heartedly FOR getting children swimming lessons as early as is practicalbe, though I really don't know at what age that should occur. I think Plumber Rick probably has the best idea.

I took swimming lessons when I was about ten and again the following year. It was at a lake a few miles from our home in the country (Ansco, the film company's lake). But the water was so cold that you'd turn blue within a few minutes and frankly I never did learn with either of those summer lessons. Finally when I was about 13, my grandfather taught me to swim. I'm not a good swimmer though and my wife doesn't swim at all, and subsequently when our son was the little guy, the only place for him to learn was at the local pool and no parents were allowed to participate. And, like his dad, he never took to it either. Guess we're all "land-locked". Too bad, because I think we've all missed something here.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by davidryan8100 View Post
                  Swimming is an essential skill for young children. You can do no better service to your children than to teach them to swim and let them get used to the water in their own swimming pool.Two of the most important and necessary safety products available to any pool owner, especially one with young children, are fences and pool covers.I agreed what's said above!!!
                  Forget learning how to swim! Nowadays the best service you can do your kids is to teach them how to handle a good tactical knife and assualt rifle! CWS, you better hope to God that tether isn't made in communist china. What has happened to our once great country?

Comment

Franki,

You quoted David, but noted me... so, do I need to be concerned about "fences and pool covers" coming from China, or the "tactical knife and assault rifle"?

I'm hoping I've passed on as much knowledge and responsibility as possible at thier young age. But the tactical weapons probably isn't a bad idea either!

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                      Franki,

You quoted David, but noted me... so, do I need to be concerned about "fences and pool covers" coming from China, or the "tactical knife and assault rifle"?

I'm hoping I've passed on as much knowledge and responsibility as possible at thier young age. But the tactical weapons probably isn't a bad idea either!

CWS
                      Sorry CWS, I was just joking around. Bored out of my mind here, looking forward to Spring and being outside more.

Comment

For the back yard pool, these floating alarms are a good thing to have.

Pool Patrol Floating Pool Alarm With Remote Receiver: Pool Alarms
                        26+6=1

Comment

I went swimming last summer too. You know, right around the time this thread was current.
                          ================================================== ====
                          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                            I went swimming last summer too. You know, right around the time this thread was current.
                            Ha, I didnt even notice that.
                            26+6=1

Comment

Working...
                            X