X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welder Recommendation and or review

I have been asked to purchase at least one and maybe as many as five mig welders for the technology center. I'm curious about the new multi-purpose machines that will do mig, tig and arc and want to know if any of you guys have anything to say about them either good or bad. I really like the specs and the price on the ThermalArc 181i but it is considerably lower priced than anything either Miller or Lincoln offer.
    sigpic

Re: Welder Recommendation and or review

i have the lincoln 180 mig welder. make sure to get the commercial one and not the home depot model.

the 220 unit weld great both with shielding gas and flux core. indoor shielding gas is the way to go. outdoor flux core.

the miller is also an excellant unit. but like anything else do you go ridgid or spartan or general.

i have pretty much all lincoln, from arc , mig, tig to engine driven.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Most of the equipment there is Lincoln and Lincoln does make a couple of mult-process machines as well and they spec out well but as I said, lot's of money but then again, you get what you pay for. I'm willing to spend the bucks but again, all my equipment is one purpose stuff. The ARC welders are just arc and the mig's just mig so I have no experience with multi-process. Some guys on the Miller forum are recommending ThermalArc's stuff and it sure looks good but you never know until you start beating on it.
      sigpic

Comment

One of the best weld sites. Shop floor talk
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Why not buy quality,in good shape used equept? Works for a lot of us out here
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The school board wouldn't let us for liability reasons
            sigpic

Comment

So I ended up with a Thermal-Arc 252I which will mig, tig and arc and has all of the accessories which is good because I hate buying something and then having to buy more stuff later on. It has a very good duty cycle and from the looks of it, should do what we need it to do. I'm looking forward to the tig function because all we currently have is a 25 year old Lincoln add on for the old grave stone.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                So I ended up with a Thermal-Arc 252I which will mig, tig and arc and has all of the accessories which is good because I hate buying something and then having to buy more stuff later on. It has a very good duty cycle and from the looks of it, should do what we need it to do. I'm looking forward to the tig function because all we currently have is a 25 year old Lincoln add on for the old grave stone.
                " Now You start the big worry " Mr. #%$@ , I'm Soo SORRY ,I ran into the Red Machine with the OXY. AC. CART !!!! Price $1800.00 each ??

Comment

Working...
                X