X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colorado Massacre, Your Thoughts

This tragedy is about a whack job that killed 12 and wounded 50. Everybody wants to know why? Everybody always wants to know why but in truth it makes no difference why. So now the politico's will use the incident to shore up support either for or against 2nd amendment gun rights as though the issue here is the gun(s) and not the deeply disturbed individual that murdered those people. It will become a political football even though the tragedy has NOTHING to do with guns. He could have killed as many or more with a bomb. a machete ore even his car if he wanted. Ever notice how many times the press reports things like "an SUV rolled over and killed 3 passengers" as though the SUV was an evil entity and decided on it's own to kill. They do the same with murders and such when guns are involved. The gun itself becomes the perpetrator and the human squeezing the trigger is just a pawn in the guns scheme to kill and maim. Oh well, such is the madness that controls the population.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
      Now what is it the second amendment the right to bear arms any arms or the third amendment O hell who cares we in Australia can only bear a knife or if we are lucky a good right fist and to kill seven people and wound fifty in a picture theatre would take all night I am not sure but its the same in England and Europe where civilised societies have no need for their citizens to bear arms and trust in their armed forces and police to protect them.

Tony

When seconds count the police are only minutes away. This another case of people being caught in a gun free "kill" zone. I guess no one told the shooter it was a gun free zone. Could a armed citizen stopped him? We will never know. Bullet proof vest or not, at that distance it would be like getting hit in the chest with a sledge hammer. Better a gun in your hand than a cop on the phone.
      26+6=1

Comment

Now what is it the second amendment the right to bear arms any arms or the third amendment O hell who cares we in Australia can only bear a knife or if we are lucky a good right fist and to kill seven people and wound fifty in a picture theatre would take all night I am not sure but its the same in England and Europe where civilised societies have no need for their citizens to bear arms and trust in their armed forces and police to protect them.

Tony
        List of rampage killers: Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Food for thought---If a large number of people had weapons, how many more might have been shot. Think about it for a minute-the guy comes in to a dark theatre, blows off a tear gas bomb and starts shooting. How many of you could see staight to start returning fire? Or would you shoot at the fire from his shot; or maybe someone else who is trying to stop him. From what I have heard and read, it was a little chaotic in there. Don't get me wrong, I am a 2nd amendment advocate and I have a permit to carry, but I am not sure in this situation; it may have helped and it may have made things worse.

Comment

pretty much impossible to stop a person who just came out of the insanity closet.

until they find out what made this guy go nuts, it can and will happen again, sadly.

i was amazed 23 years ago while traveling in foreign countries. the police didn't have guns. i guess most of the country didn't either. but a gun is not the only weapon that can cause mass tragedy.

look at the old timer 9 years ago that drove through the farmers market in santa monica, calif. he wasn't even crazy. George Russell Weller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
              When seconds count the police are only minutes away. This another case of people being caught in a gun free "kill" zone. I guess no one told the shooter it was a gun free zone. Could a armed citizen stopped him? We will never know. Bullet proof vest or not, at that distance it would be like getting hit in the chest with a sledge hammer. Better a gun in your hand than a cop on the phone.
              Yes and I suppoes your quick draw macgraw the fastest and accuate gun slinger in the west who shoots from the hip and kills your target every time even in a dark theatre with a smoke grenades going off and people running everywhere trying to escape and the shooter wearing body armer I would say without a doubt you would end up shooting innocent people.

Tony

Comment

We are all using hindsight as to what we would possibly have done. The gunman had every advantage, cover of darkness, choking gas, weapons, armor, readiness and comittment to carry out a heinous crime. I always carry a strong tactical flashlight so I can light up a dark area in a movie theatre. Seriously, unless you had your hand on the trigger of your gun, safety off and ready to start shooting what chance would you have had? I think there needs to be certain upgrades or modifications to give the public a fighting chance in such situations. Emergency lighting that comes on immediately, and more properly trained law abiding citizens carrying firearms. This cowardly gunman had all that protective gear and surrendered without a fight because he did not want to get hurt! Would he have risked the same actions if he knew half the theatre goers were armed and ready?

Comment

Yes but the U.S.of A holds the world title for killings by privatly owned guns and yes the right to bear arms in 2012 in a civilised society is totallly differnent than in 1771 I have read a little about your secound amendment and was drawn up in a totally different time where there was no standing army to defend your country and you government state and federal would form well regulated Militia to defend the people and the people would keep arms so they can serve the Militia and over the last two hundred years you have just manipulated your second amendment to suit your individual rights which from my point looking in from another country seems to be what the US is all about the individaul and not the country as a whole.

Tony

Comment

Tony ,You never miss an opportunity to poke Us Yanks in the eye. It's bad enough for Us to feel this pain without
                    Your constant assessments of our constitution , Way of life. Take a hike !
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Yes but the U.S.of A holds the world title for killings by privatly owned guns and yes the right to bear arms in 2012 in a civilised society is totallly differnent than in 1771 I have read a little about your secound amendment and was drawn up in a totally different time where there was no standing army to defend your country and you government state and federal would form well regulated Militia to defend the people and the people would keep arms so they can serve the Militia and over the last two hundred years you have just manipulated your second amendment to suit your individual rights which from my point looking in from another country seems to be what the US is all about the individaul and not the country as a whole.

Tony
                      Tony, you are somewhat correct in our pursuit of an individual's rights. The rights of a criminal seem to outshine the rights of society as a whole. We have the right to "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness", and to that end law abiding citizens should be encouraged to arm and protect themselves because our police cannot be everwhere crime happens. I would say that in light of all the violent crimes perpetrated by both legal and illegal residents and terrorists now more than ever our citizens should be well armed and trained to defend themselves.

The United States of America has spread itself thin protecting the weak, and defeating brutal, oppressive regimes around the world, and as such our economy is deeply troubled. We may reach a point where we cannot provide basic needs to many of our unfortunate citizens and when that happens we cannot expect law enforcement to adequately maintain the peace. I think the best deterrent to being a victim is to have a strong defense. The criminals are well armed, and continue to function outside of the law. It is about time more good people arm themselves and have the odds of staying safe in their favor.

My front door has two deadbolts but would only take seconds to kick in, that is why my shotgun is at the ready. In my opinion only a fool would leave himself and his family at the mercy of criminals and expect law enforcement to respond in time to save the day. Frank

Comment

The widespread availability of guns just elevates the stakes for everyone involved. Personally I've never understood the obsession with gun ownership? For those saying how anything can be used as a weapon - while that is correct it is not their primary use whereas the purpose of a gun is to injure or kill, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                          The widespread availability of guns just elevates the stakes for everyone involved. Personally I've never understood the obsession with gun ownership? For those saying how anything can be used as a weapon - while that is correct it is not their primary use whereas the purpose of a gun is to injure or kill, correct?
                          The reason for gun ownership spans target shooting, hunting and yes, personal protection including injuring or killing. Perhaps you can't appreciate the desire, or need for gun ownership because you, or someone you love has not been the victim of a violent and possibly preventable crime? I don't know the crime rate in San Diego, but here in Norwalk, CT there are shootings and victims almost every week. The shooters are criminals, not law abiding citizens obsessed with owning a gun. Just because it may appear as if your life is not in jeopary, does not mean that is accurate. Most of us have this illusion of safety which is shattered when we become victims.

Not too long ago here in CT, a doctor and his family felt very safe in their home. Two criminals shattered that illusion. I wonder if the sole survivor of that home invasion would agree with your assumptions? Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            The reason for gun ownership spans target shooting, hunting and yes, personal protection including injuring or killing. Perhaps you can't appreciate the desire, or need for gun ownership because you, or someone you love has not been the victim of a violent and possibly preventable crime? I don't know the crime rate in San Diego, but here in Norwalk, CT there are shootings and victims almost every week. The shooters are criminals, not law abiding citizens obsessed with owning a gun. Just because it may appear as if your life is not in jeopary, does not mean that is accurate. Most of us have this illusion of safety which is shattered when we become victims.

Not too long ago here in CT, a doctor and his family felt very safe in their home. Two criminals shattered that illusion. I wonder if the sole survivor of that home invasion would agree with your assumptions? Frank
                            But that again goes back to how easy it is for anyone to get a gun. Otherwise how do criminals get it. And then why draw the line at guns. How about some rocket launchers and grenades as well. Hence my point - it is too easy for anyone to get a gun. How far do you think your shotgun will get you against people armed with some serious hardware. The assumption is that they will be coming with something you can handle with your shotgun.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                              But that again goes back to how easy it is for anyone to get a gun. Otherwise how do criminals get it. And then why draw the line at guns. How about some rocket launchers and grenades as well. Hence my point - it is too easy for anyone to get a gun. How far do you think your shotgun will get you against people armed with some serious hardware. The assumption is that they will be coming with something you can handle with your shotgun.
                              The process to obtain a gun legally in CT is far from easy and is not the path criminals take. Was that a serious question? You really don't know how criminals obtain guns? My assumption is that a potential victim stands a better chance of defending himself against a criminal who has a gun, if he himslef has a gun and knows how to use it. I am positive my shotgun will get me farther in the area of home defense than your lack of one. From your perspective it may seem your are in no danger and in no need of a gun, but it really only seems that way.

Comment

Since we are discussing the Colorado event evidently it was pretty easy for the shooter to get the guns and ammo without much difficulty. Yes please educate me on how criminals get guns.

Comment

Working...
                                X