X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milestones

Today is 6 mo sober and 8 mo off the cigs. Got the cigs handled, that's done and over with. Still have moments of craving and, this is funny, dreams where I wake up thinking "Oh no! I smoked last night!" The cravings are not very immediate and demanding anymore. More like hearing an old song on the radio.

Cut way down on soda, down to one every week or two instead of 5/day. That at least doesn't seem to be an addiction; I can have one once in a while when I need a wake-up and be ok. Cleaned up my act in regards to diet a lot. No more fast food, lots of veggies, etc. Not really counting calories, just trying to eat quality and not eat simply out of boredom or procrastination. Scale says I'm down 10 lb from the peak of blubbery belly. That's a good sign but I really could care less about actual weight. More concerned about how I look and feel. Would like to get the love handles and bit of belly to disappear. Really fantastically difficult. Never had to pay attn to diet before and suddenly have all kinds of sympathy for those who've fought it thier whole life.

Regular exercise has helped hugely, both with gut size management and with general attitude. Especially with no booze I need exercise to keep the attitude somewhere near sane. Rowing on the lake most every morning for 1 1/2 or 2 hours. Gets me up early which is good for me too. Need to get a plan in place for a replacement for the rowing for when winter comes. x-c skiing my best thought, but not sure if I can do the same schedule with that. It is still dark and bitter cold here at 6 in winter and I just don't see me getting fired up to roll out and ski then. Might have to try the machines at the gym.

Not sure what to do about the alcohol; I'd decided to take 6 mo off drinking and sober up and reassess. It's been six mo, I'd like to have a drink, but I do not miss being a drunken fool, being hung over most mornings, spending all my $ at the bar, etc. Worried the alcohol will prove to be like the cigs; one or two once in a while is not possible for me with cigs and I worry a drink or two will lead right back to a pint of whiskey every night. Anyway, no rush to decide. Don't think pouring a drink is the right way to celebrate 6 mo sober, so not about to do so.

The business has suffered a little from my adressing my addictions. My employee quit. Couldn't handle me sober (hell, I barely can stand me sober). I've given up on employees for now. I can't make them happy and they can't do anything well enough to suit me. If I've got to stay sober to drive in case a call comes that just makes the alcohol decision on I don't have to think about for a while. Think I may be trading chemical addictions for workaholism. Woking a little too much. I'm at about the maximum long term sustainable pace for me right now, and it is summer. One idea is to bump prices up every few months until that slows things down a little. Another that I am alreeady doing (a little) is saying no to some jobs.
    Last edited by Ace Sewer; 07-25-2012, 11:50 AM.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Milestones

One mans quest to better himself. Kudo's
    sigpic

Comment

I'm on the same root and can definetly relate with everything your saying im sobering up for my kids and wifes sake. As well as my own congrats keep on trucking eh and good luck.

Comment

God bless You Ace, I'm am proud of You! Please hang in there on the booze. Been 28 Years, never think of it. I'll be the same for You in time. Be well Tool
        Last edited by toolaholic; 07-27-2012, 10:22 PM. Reason: spelin
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
          I'm on the same root and can definetly relate with everything your saying im sobering up for my kids and wifes sake. As well as my own congrats keep on trucking eh and good luck.
          Wonderful! The difference is, You'll be fishin with that wonderful Lil Guy and teaching Him to be a Man. Mom deserves a sober You also. Be well .Tool
          Last edited by toolaholic; 07-27-2012, 10:23 PM. Reason: spelen
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Good job and congratulations, you have made a lot of changes in your life, and I am sure they will be for your betterment, but it may take a little while to get over the bumps,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Way to go, Ace!

I can only imagine the hurdles that you are getting past. You're a good man, and just the fact that you've recognized yourself and have faced these challenges is testimony to your strength and fortitude.

Keep up the fight and take pride in your gains,

CWS

Comment

When I quit smoking cigarettes for 5 years, I finally understood what an addict feels like when they quit hard drugs or alcohol. It's an extremely hard thing to do...and to do it cold turkey. I've been back on cigs for a year now because I got married last year, and wanted to lose some quick weight...and I did 20lbs. I was about to quit again for good, but my mother passed 3 months ago, and that was a stressful situation.

The hardest part about quitting smoking imo is laying off the food. I gained 40lbs the last time I stopped smoking and it didn't look to bad on my frame because I am 6-3, but my gut looked like a beer gut, and I'm not much of a drinker.

Ace...you tackled a whole bunch of difficult things at once, and it takes a strong person to do that. Just let it be known you're not the only person here going through things like this alone, and I'm always willing to talk to others to cope through things like this, because after all we are all human beings.

Comment

Yes, the cigs have taught me a lot. Took 4 tries over 3 years to get it right. After 3 times through, the physical addiction and withdrawel was not so tough. There is the patch and other nicotine replacement devices, but while they take the edge off they also drag it out. You are either a fast band-aid puller-offer or a slow picker; what suits you suits you.

Far, far more difficult for me was realizing that I was not done quitting after a week, a month, etc. The ongoing day to day slog of slow effort is much more draining to me than a few days of withdrawel. Now that I have recognized what is required and where the pitfalls are (and accepted that it is just plain going to be difficult sometimes, even years down the road) I am much better prepared to deal with it. Moments of stress still have me thinking of running to the nearest store. But that thought is a fleeting reaction, not really something that I am considering doing. The thought is an involuntary response that I smile at in wonder. Because it shows that, even months later, just the memory of nicotine still has such a hold on me.

So, the cigs have taught me a lot. And the soda has shown me that my life is not ALL addiction. I love me some coca-cola, but fortunately with that I CAN have ONE once in a while. And if that sets me back a week on the weight loss goals, well, that is the price and I can choose as I see fit.

The alcohol is so much trickier. I'm just playing it safe with that for now. I miss it less and less anyway.

Also, the ~$200/week not spent on poisons adds up awfully fast. A Benjy in my wallet seems to last forever now.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

You're doing just great, keep it up.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

$200 + per week on a combo unit,storage for same,etc. Could this be your new you? Might be good for you.

Comment

red, I've got plenty of work so no need to take on a new piece of the puzzle. That $ is going a couple places right now... I put $6 in a drawer in my desk every eve; that's my cig $. I dip into it now and then for treats and things to make me feel good about what I am doing. New running shoes (though that didn't last... the knees), my rowing club membership and lessons, my ski pass will come out of that also, and I spent some $ on doing some nice things for other people... makes me feel good.

The booze $ is going into extra principle on the mortgage on the building. If I keep cranking it in the way I am I'll soon have it paid off and have a nice nest egg to boot. Enough that I'll be able to semi-retire and just keep a hand in work when I feel like it or need to make some $ for a big purchase in only ~5 years.

Comment

Working...
                        X