Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Talk talk talk

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
    Believe it's on Schedule A, where you itemize deductions.
    yes but they way he is stating it he is trying to take credit for those contributions twice. If he paid 13% then those contributions were already figured into his final tax, now he's trying to say he should somehow get credit for a contribution equal to 7% of his income on top of what he paid in taxes which would already include any charitable contribution allowed by the tax code.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

I'm sure Romney has a smart accountant(firm) preparing his taxes to the letter of the tax code law and dotting every i. People with his sort of wealth do just fine by hiring people who can work the laws in their favor. If you asked me this same question twenty years ago I would be all upset over the disparity between what a wealthy person can claim and folks like myself. Here and now, I don't care! If Romney did not break the law, good enough for me. I feel the bigger issue is where our country will be after the election. Can Romney and Ryan have a positive impact on changing all the serious problems facing our country? I'm satisfied that President Obama and the democrats have nothing new, different, or better going forward than they have done up to this point.

Comment

And, as much as I know I'm flogging a dead horse and no one cares to listen, I'm satisfied that the republican agenda consists of only one thing of any substance; funneling more wealth to the already fantastically wealthy. Anything else is either obfuscation or else who cares it gets votes.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

And, as much as I know I'm flogging a dead horse and no one cares to listen, I'm satisfied that the republican agenda consists of only one thing of any substance; funneling more wealth to the already fantastically wealthy. Anything else is either obfuscation or else who cares it gets votes.
          I care and so does everyone who believes our situation is nearing critical. We gave President Obama a chance to change things and all we got were uplifiting speeches. The democratic agenda included passing a helathcare bill that will be paid for with more taxes on us. His grand talks of "green" jobs resulted in billions of taxpayer dollars going to friends (solyindra) who lost our investment with no investigation.
          Here we are with a sixteen trillion dollar debt, and no hope in sight. We don't have any choice but to give the republicans a chance to put up or shut up. In theory we can vote them out if they don't make good on improving things. I just don't know if we have the time to keep voting out either party as they take turns pushing their own agenda, and not doing what's in the best interest of "We the People", and America?

Comment

The debt is too big to ever pay for real at this point. The only way out is devaluing the dollar so that they pay fixed interest rate long term bonds off with devalued dollars. Only question in my mind is how does this play out and where should I put my little bit of wealth to preserve it. I think the run-up in gold probably has something to do with this.

Regarding the healthcare thing... Isn't Mr. Romney's rhetoric on the subject basically along the lines of yes, the American people deserve healthcare, but offers no way to pay for it? He has seemed to be kind of tripping all over himself trying to find a way to use the hatred of the healthcare act to his advantage when it is just a ramp up of his own plan to a national level. I find it telling that there is no real debate offered, just posturing. Regardless, something is broken with our healthcare system. I've been in pain for over a week with a shoulder injury without seeing a doctor. I don't dare get a diagnosis until I understand exactly what would and would not be covered under my current insurance.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Yep and thats the Democrat's agenda too. They just try to do it under the cover of social reform. Same crooks, different party
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                I care and so does everyone who believes our situation is nearing critical. We gave President Obama a chance to change things and all we got were uplifiting speeches. The democratic agenda included passing a helathcare bill that will be paid for with more taxes on us. His grand talks of "green" jobs resulted in billions of taxpayer dollars going to friends (solyindra) who lost our investment with no investigation.
                Here we are with a sixteen trillion dollar debt, and no hope in sight. We don't have any choice but to give the republicans a chance to put up or shut up. In theory we can vote them out if they don't make good on improving things. I just don't know if we have the time to keep voting out either party as they take turns pushing their own agenda, and not doing what's in the best interest of "We the People", and America?
                I pretty much guarantee they won't put up and they damn sure won't shut up LOL
                sigpic

Comment

The debt is too big to ever pay for real at this point. The only way out is devaluing the dollar so that they pay fixed interest rate long term bonds off with devalued dollars. Only question in my mind is how does this play out and where should I put my little bit of wealth to preserve it. I think the run-up in gold probably has something to do with this.

Regarding the healthcare thing... Isn't Mr. Romney's rhetoric on the subject basically along the lines of yes, the American people deserve healthcare, but offers no way to pay for it? He has seemed to be kind of tripping all over himself trying to find a way to use the hatred of the healthcare act to his advantage when it is just a ramp up of his own plan to a national level. I find it telling that there is no real debate offered, just posturing. Regardless, something is broken with our healthcare system. I've been in pain for over a week with a shoulder injury without seeing a doctor. I don't dare get a diagnosis until I understand exactly what would and would not be covered under my current insurance.
                  What the American people deserve or want is of absolutely no importance if it can't be paid for, and if our economy worsens. Who would vote for a candidate who came out and said "sorry folks but we are broke and some Americans will have to go without higher education, healthcare, and other government assistance. I know this will result in some folks dying but we either face the hard truth now or we all suffer!". If the situation with our debt, unemployment and overall economy is that bad, then "deserve" holds zero importance in our conversation. I wish it was otherwise, I wish we could afford higher education to all who want it. I wish we could offer healthcare to all, a clean environment, jobs to all who want to work. We must abandone such goals until such time as we can afford them. Frank
                  Last edited by Frankiarmz; 08-20-2012, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Going back to the origional question, and statment, you know what the problems are.

First it is said that 40% of ever federal dollar is borrowed, most of US would agree that is a problme, so most would say we need to reduce spending or raise income to balance the budget,

now realate this to a person,

NHmaster has a role education, ,

for example say ther is a simular money problem with the school distric he is in,

how does one handle that?

TAX incresses,
                    cuts, across the board,
                    elimmination of programs, (his program or some other so his can stay operating),

so how do you handle that, problem. ever body knows the problem, money is short
                    but not ever one has the same view of the problem, and how to fix it, all the above ideas could fix the problem,

But which is best?
                    Which one will do the best for the...
                    general population?
                    for the general student population?
                    for the program NH operates?
                    for the school in general?

A lot depends on how one looks and from who view point one looks through,

here is a Email that I got a few days ago, but how would you get congress to vote for it?
                    (I have no idea if it originated for Buffett or not,

Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling:

"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just
                    pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more
                    than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible
                    for re-election.

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds)
                    took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple!
                    The people demanded it. That was in 1971 - before computers, e-mail,
                    cell phones, etc.

Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took one (1) year
                    or less to become the law of the land - all because of public pressure.

Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to
                    a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask
                    each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will
                    have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed
                    around.

Congressional Reform Act of 2012

1. No Tenure / No Pension.

A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no
                    pay when they're out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social
                    Security.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the
                    Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into
                    the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the
                    American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all
                    Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.
                    Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and
                    participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the
                    American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void
                    effective 12/1/12. The American people did not make this
                    contract with Congressmen/women.

Congress made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in
                    Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers
                    envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their
                    term(s), then go home and back to work.

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                      Going back to the origional question, and statment, you know what the problems are.

First it is said that 40% of ever federal dollar is borrowed, most of US would agree that is a problme, so most would say we need to reduce spending or raise income to balance the budget,

now realate this to a person,

NHmaster has a role education, ,

for example say ther is a simular money problem with the school distric he is in,

how does one handle that?

TAX incresses,
                      cuts, across the board,
                      elimmination of programs, (his program or some other so his can stay operating),

so how do you handle that, problem. ever body knows the problem, money is short
                      but not ever one has the same view of the problem, and how to fix it, all the above ideas could fix the problem,

But which is best?
                      Which one will do the best for the...
                      general population?
                      for the general student population?
                      for the program NH operates?
                      for the school in general?

A lot depends on how one looks and from who view point one looks through,

here is a Email that I got a few days ago, but how would you get congress to vote for it?
                      (I have no idea if it originated for Buffett or not,
                      Those are all good ideas but barely scratch the surface of what needs to be done. We can get our legislators to shape up, crush unions, and tax the heck our of the rich and still not get a handle on fixing our economy. I agree that overspending was part of the problem with the deficit along with a lack of a balanced budget but what about unemployment and the trade deficit? I keep thinking that there is no way our economy can survive as a service based rather than manufacturing. I imagine much of our consumer wealth leaving our economy and it happened over many years.How much of the thousands of dollars each person or family spends on consumer electronics and other goods actually stays here? We transport and sell all those imported goods, but I doubt that is the majority of the profit.

What I'm getting at is that the e-mail makes us feel good because it is aimed at our legislators, but our problems are massive and the fixes must be massive as well. Pass legislation to both ease regulations that inhibit manufacturing here as well as taxing imports as a further incentive to bring back revenue paying businesses and JOBS! I think cutting the fat out of local, state and federal budgets is necessary but we can't cut our way to a strong economy.

Personally, I would hold every congressman and senator who held office for the last forty years partly responsible for our current mess. What did they expect would happen as businesses and jobs disappeared? Whoever voted for NAFTA, or thought borrowing money to run our government was a good idea should be prosecuted. Would you support that sort of decision making on a local level? What if your town had two or three manufaturing plants that paid good revenue and employed thousands of residents, and the mayor and common council encouraged them to pick up and leave? What if the same city leaders then decided to run up the debt with no chance of paying it down?
                      Well that is what happened to our country and the people we elected did nothing!!!

Comment

Frank I am not saying there is not a hundred problems that need to be fixed,

but I was pointing out ONE PROBLEM, and I bet that a dozen of us on this board could not even come to an agreement on what to do,

especially when you have so many areas that can not be touched, or even if you can touch them as well,

and then you have to deal with the problems that come when you "fix" some thing,

for example, If you slash federal spending even 20% how many people will be with out work?
                        how many roads, bridges, sewers, programs across the country that depend on the federal government for funds, would have go away or be postponed for a long time,

how many would be hungry by cutting food stamps 20%

how many business would go broke by not having government orders,

and the list goes on,

If you tax the crap out of people the same thing will nearly happen as they will not have money to make ends meet and so on, and ever dime taken by the feds or government is one less you have to spend to make a decisions with your self,

It would be like cut 40% out of your home budget, major changes would have to take place for most people,

I am not saying it can not be fixed, but the thing now is the fixes will hurt as well, even if in the long run it makes things better,

all the Email I posted was to show there are some answers that many help, but in the same line the people who they effect would have to approve them, are you going to vote to loose your retirement?
                        or health care?
                        why would a congressmen vote for the same,

I think also there is not a view of what is best for the country but what is best for my party's ideology as how can I set it up to keep power,
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Frank I am not saying there is not a hundred problems that need to be fixed,

but I was pointing out ONE PROBLEM, and I bet that a dozen of us on this board could not even come to an agreement on what to do,

especially when you have so many areas that can not be touched, or even if you can touch them as well,

and then you have to deal with the problems that come when you "fix" some thing,

for example, If you slash federal spending even 20% how many people will be with out work?
                          how many roads, bridges, sewers, programs across the country that depend on the federal government for funds, would have go away or be postponed for a long time,

how many would be hungry by cutting food stamps 20%

how many business would go broke by not having government orders,

and the list goes on,

If you tax the crap out of people the same thing will nearly happen as they will not have money to make ends meet and so on, and ever dime taken by the feds or government is one less you have to spend to make a decisions with your self,

It would be like cut 40% out of your home budget, major changes would have to take place for most people,

I am not saying it can not be fixed, but the thing now is the fixes will hurt as well, even if in the long run it makes things better,

all the Email I posted was to show there are some answers that many help, but in the same line the people who they effect would have to approve them, are you going to vote to loose your retirement?
                          or health care?
                          why would a congressmen vote for the same,

I think also there is not a view of what is best for the country but what is best for my party's ideology as how can I set it up to keep power,
                          I totally agree that the problems are many, and that a solution not well thought out only makes matters worse. I sure don't have the answers, but I am sure allowing businesses, and jobs to leave was a big mistake in the name of free trade and open markets.
                          I also agree that both political parties don't really care about the country or else they would look far down the road to where their agenda takes us. Corporate, and stockholder profits at the expense of American jobs in my opinion bad idea, healthcare that is paid for by more taxes, bad idea. $4.00 a gallon gasoline, bad idea. Maybe I give smart folks too much credit, but don't you think there are folks at the highest level of government who can figure out how to fix things without making too much of a mess? How could they allow solyndra to go belly up with our tax money and not investigate and prosecute? We've got two gangs of wolves guarding the chicken coop, and I don't know how you get them to protect the chickens and not fill their own bellies? Don't look good

Comment

I think also there is not a view of what is best for the country but what is
                            best for my party's ideology as how can I set it up to keep power,
                            This is true and I have stated this in the past. Members of both parties are more about what is right for their party than they are about what is right for the country.
                            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

I think also there is not a view of what is best for the country but what is best for my party's ideology as how can I set it up to keep power
                              ya think?

maybe?

Comment

Okay, so here we are today dealing with the results of all those years of party agenda and not the good of America. Does anyone think there will be a shift by either party to change their agenda and effect positive changes needed to save our economy and country? I talk to a lot of folks, some of them pretty smart and none of them think this will all turn around for the better.

Comment

Working...
                                X