X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Has The Stronger Grip?

I finally got around to wiring my "Interlok" kit which powers my main panel from an external box and generator. While I was cutting the separate leads and looking at the larger cables in the box I wondered who has the stronger hand grip strength? Strickly between Plumbers and Electricians, who do you think needs or develops stronger hand grip strength to do the job? I try to use heavy hand grips called "Captains of Crush" to keep from losing hand strength. If I had to choose I think I'd go with the Electrician considering how much they use side cutters and different gauge wires, but after watching Rick and Ben, I wouldn't bet money

Re: Who Has The Stronger Grip?

The strongest hand grip is that of a young baby. Once they grab your finger and hold on, you never want them to let go. Sorry Frank, I couldn't resist that one.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Ever shake the hand of a stone/brick Mason? I would say they have the strongest hand grips out of anyone, but if I had to choose from these 2, I would say Plumbers.

Comment

1 plumber
        2 sailor
        3 mason
        4 electrician

Comment

A sheet metal worker is on up there as well. All day cutting and notching by hand...fageddabotit...lol. COC. Has a lot of stuff these days. I remember when it was only a 1, 2, or 3. It was so much harder to progress than it is now. Milo was an awesome magazine. Have not gotten one in a while.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Who Has The Stronger Grip?
            A teenage boy with a girlie magazine. Forearm muscles that Lou Ferrigno would pay good money for.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

when I do wiring and need to cut cable I use a cable cutter, (much like a bolt cutter but the jaws are different)
              most of the small wire being copper cuts easy, much easier than steel wire that is in fencing (on barbed wire I any more just use a small bolt cutter for most of the barbed or #9 wire I use on corners of fences,

when I have done plumbing over the years the need to grip does not seem as much as when wiring,

I tore up my one wrist laying block one summer, and did not help the other I would agree a mason would probably worker there grip more than many other trades,
              I would think the electrician would have more need for grip than the plumber,
              but then that may just be what there doing that day,
              a carpenter that uses a hammer it may not need to be a strong grip but it would be used constantly,
              I remember nailing roofs and decks and framing when I was a kid, thousands of nails, (it is now funny to watch some one try to use a hammer, and hit any thing),
              (a number of years ago my son had a building project, and I was helping him, I gave him the air nailer and I just use the hammer, and I finished my wall before he did),
              also at one time I could nearly keep up with the roofing nailer's, (they sold or made a little trough like holder that would let the roofing nails settle out so the points were down and you would wear that around your neck and the nails were pre positioned and one could take a clip of nails and nail on a shingle nearly as fast as they could move there nailer guess there called a nail stripper),

but the last few days we have been building fence on 212 acres of grass, and even tho we did use the tractor to dig the fence post holes they still needed to be cleaned out and some needed to be straightened, using the hand post hole digger, and then each wood post needed to be tamped and in between each wood post a steel "T" post was driven using a post pounder,

actually I would most like volt for mason first, then rancher I would vote for cow farmer (if I had to ride a horse, as I would develop a tremendous grip riding a horse, but since I am a cow farmer, and use a pickup instead my grips is not as well developed, never have been able to stay on a horse).
              but for your your pole I would vote electrician,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I would say Plumbers because we have to pick up 10,000 pieces of #14, #12 and #10 off the floor around our work when they are done with the job.
                26+6=1

Comment

I have never met an electrician with a decent grip if all he does is his job.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • conductor fault locating
                  • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

plumber by far. our work is much more physically demanding and therefore we build up more muscle without ever going to the gym.

not to many electricians using a shovel putting in ground work. or hanging anything larger than 4'' thin wall these days. would love to see a sparky hang 6'' nh by themselves off a ladder.

of course we are getting smarter with tools. the days of a torque wrench and nut driver has pretty much been eliminated. now for production use, i use my 12 volt milwaukee no hub torque gun. calibrated to both 60 and 80 inch pounds.

next roundup we can finger lace. who's going to yell uncle first

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Plumber,in particular, My Awesome Son In Law, Gerard
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        Ever shake the hand of a stone/brick Mason? I would say they have the strongest hand grips out of anyone, but if I had to choose from these 2, I would say Plumbers.
                        Agree 100%. The seabees had this "test" where you hold a 10lb sledge by the end and with a straight arm, only bend your wrist, let the sledge come down to your nose and bring it back up. Easy enough. There's another "test" and I've never seen anyone do this but one person and he was a mason. Put your arm flat on the table and hold the end of a 8 lb sledge that is laying flat on the table. Rotate your wrist to bring the sledge up while keeping your arm flat on the table.

BTW, if you smash your face or break your wrist trying these out...it's not my fault because you're stupid. lol
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Agree 100%. The seabees had this "test" where you hold a 10lb sledge by the end and with a straight arm, only bend your wrist, let the sledge come down to your nose and bring it back up. Easy enough. There's another "test" and I've never seen anyone do this but one person and he was a mason. Put your arm flat on the table and hold the end of a 8 lb sledge that is laying flat on the table. Rotate your wrist to bring the sledge up while keeping your arm flat on the table.

BTW, if you smash your face or break your wrist trying these out...it's not my fault because you're stupid. lol
                          Back in the 60s ,Cape Cod.Mass. The toby Bros. did Con. block Foundations ,Fast N cheap. The old 12"X 16" blocks were 35 Lbs each. They would take one in each fist And straight arm the 2 in front of them ! No one else could ever do it . PS. We also did the sledge Hammer to nose.
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i seem to remember at the first roundup when we went to the amusement park and played the ring the bell with the sledge hammer.

all i can say is josh's kids can thank uncle rick for their stuffed animals

they did say thanks to ben for trying so hard

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Plumber for sure using wrenchs compared to screw drivers...holding on to a supethawg with a 4.5/8 holesaw compared to a cordless with a halfinch boring bit. Pex cutters, and crimpers . Wirsbo tool, cast iron pipe wrenchs, cast iron pipe ,hilti, sectional machine cleaning copper holding a 4" peice of aba in one hand and your pipe cutter in the other. Just my opinion but nothing worse then that dreaded dead fish handshake.

Comment

Working...
                              X