Humming Bird versus Praying Mantis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humming Bird versus Praying Mantis

Some of you might recall a post of mine from last moth in 'project pics' about the sheppard hooks i put in some planters so we could have some hanging baskets spaced around on our deck.

Well one of those sheppard hooks has two hanging baskets of flowers and a humming bird feeder at the top. The humming birds are there on and off all day, fighting each other off so they can get a drink even though there are enough places for 6 birds to drink at once. They seem very territorial and chase other hummers away.

But now, foe the past week, there is a new threat to the humming birds...a praying mantis. Now i never would had believed it if i had not seen it myself but that bug sits on that feeder and will try to grab a hummingbird. He's only 3inches long, not full grown, and the birds are 5 times his size and weight, but he doesn't care. He's there all day waiting for wasps or other bugs to fly in and investigate, then he pounces on them and they are history. I have never seen or heard of these two fighting like this.

I have some photos on my laptop which i will load into this thread, working off the tablet right now.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 08-06-2012, 08:04 PM. Reason: fixed a bunch of typos. my spelling on the tablet leaves a lot to be desired it seems.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Re: Humming Bird versus Praying Mantis

More common than I would have thought and with bad results for the hummingbird!

Comment

That's crazy!

Comment

Amazing... I guess it's not how big you are as much as how big you THINK your are! That of course doesn't mean that the mantis won though, as he's no longer on the feeder and I'm betting that the humming bird just took a tumble, shook him off and returned. That would have been nice to see though!

I am surprised that the mantis was able to inflict any damage to the bird though... I see feathers fly, but I'm left wondering. Does the mantis inflict any kind of venom to it's prey? I'm more of the impression that it just grabs hold and then sucks the life out of insects and doesn't have anything else other than it's stealth and strength.

Very interesting though,

CWS

Comment

There are Kung Fu fighting styles that mimic the praying mantis. Check out this link for results of a humming bird vs praying mantis encounter. Praying Mantis Makes Meal of a Hummingbird | Bird Watcher's Digest

Comment

Originally posted by Camero68
            It’s true what they say then ... Nothing is what it seems.
            Welcome to The Forum, great bunch of folks and topics. Frank

Comment

Bob,

That video is both entertaining, and educational. Ultimately, in the end, everything organic is grist for the mill for something else. No telling what that might be though.
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I tried to post some photos the other day but couldn't for some reason.

Let's try again.

No Luck. I don't know why but I can't upload photos from my phone, my tablet, or my laptop, all of which I have used to upload photos in the past with no problem. Anyone else having a problem uploading pics?

Anyway, the Mantis is gone, haven't seen him since the storm that rolled through here two days ago, so the Hummingbirds are happy.

Got the upload working, must have been something on my end...loose nut at the kb probably :-)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bob D.; 08-08-2012, 05:37 PM.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                X