Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
granite chess board anyone? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • granite chess board anyone?

    So, I have a bunch of granite pieces laying around and figured I should try doing something with them. Well, I cut a couple pieces into 1 1/4" squares and epoxied them together. Ground them down (different thicknesses) then edged it and polished it. Turned out pretty sweet I think, might tackle a table top some day. I'll need some bigger tools though.

    Attachment
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: granite chess board anyone?

    how did you grind them down?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: granite chess board anyone?

      looks like a great project, and you did a great job,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: granite chess board anyone?

        Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        how did you grind them down?
        Used a variable speed grinder and a cup surface grinding wheel. Then used the polishing pads, 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, 3000. I don't have a polish pad so its not super glossy, but its very smooth. I did wet polish it, basically had the hose running a light stream on the piece while I worked it. Gotta be a bit careful doing so with a electric grinder, but the lower rpm does make it a little easier to manage.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: granite chess board anyone?

          Very nice! I've got couple of chess sets that are fairly nice, but the boards are pretty cheap and that sounds like a nice project, though I've never worked with stone/granit of any kind other than to lay it. I've got a box of black granit tiles left over... but I have no cutting or polishing equipment. Your board looks pretty attractive, enough so that I'm wondering.

          Thanks for the post,

          CWS

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: granite chess board anyone?

            Nicely done!
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: granite chess board anyone?

              Here are a couple of things I made with some leftover granite. Serves no useful purpose other than decorating the table. I sometimes put fruit on it.



              Comment


              • #8
                Re: granite chess board anyone?

                Gee, those came out looking pretty nice. I don't have a grasp of their diameter, but I'm picturing one of my wife's cherry pies sitting on one of those cooling.



                Excuse me... I'vd got to go ask her when she's going to get back to her baking !


                CWS

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: granite chess board anyone?

                  Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  Gee, those came out looking pretty nice. I don't have a grasp of their diameter, but I'm picturing one of my wife's cherry pies sitting on one of those cooling.



                  Excuse me... I'vd got to go ask her when she's going to get back to her baking !


                  CWS
                  10.5" - but of course when you make yours you can make them so they fit your wife's pies You could make a lazy susan.

                  You can actually get quite creative mixing stone with other materials like metal or wood. Did anyone notice the center on the second piece - it is polished stainless steel. I bought some SS bar stock, cut it in my metal bandsaw and polished the face to a mirror finish.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: granite chess board anyone?

                    Blue, how did you edge those?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: granite chess board anyone?

                      Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                      Blue, how did you edge those?

                      4cm full bullnose and 2cm Ogee router bits fitted to a grinder (variable speed grinder with the speed turned out to about 4000 rpm or so for routing). I used to own a Flex router could never be bothered to use it and ended up selling it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: granite chess board anyone?

                        Thanks, figured so, I really want to get some profile bits myself... Got some ideas, crazy ones actually, but that's another idea and for another day.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: granite chess board anyone?

                          Yes you can do some cool stuff if you have the time and patience. A lot of my stone working was done to remodel parts of my home but I occasionally do some smaller stuff if I have time. Have not done much lately.

                          Here are a few pics of my "bigger" projects.

                          Kichen countertops



                          Bathroom vanities





                          Oro travertine wall recess inlay with walnut travertine edging (I custom made those edging to match a bunch of shelves I made for the living room out of oro and walnut travertine (stacked edge with the two different stone)



                          Little countertop for hallway cupboard



                          I also have done some outdoor stuff for when I remodelled my backyard such as this.

                          Cost Esmeralda firepit top

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: granite chess board anyone?

                            Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                            4cm full bullnose and 2cm Ogee router bits fitted to a grinder (variable speed grinder with the speed turned out to about 4000 rpm or so for routing). I used to own a Flex router could never be bothered to use it and ended up selling it.

                            Really? I would never have thought you could use a "router bit" on granite or any other stone... are these something special, like diamond-edged or something just designed for stone?

                            Years ago (well, make that a half-century), when I was in my late teens I helped a guy open a new stone quarry, but that was for sedimentary stone, flat stone which is common here in NY's Southern Tier. I learned to cut that with a chisel and stone hammer. Granite is just so much harder though and I've only seen that cut on a diamond, wet saw. I have no idea how to work it otherwise.

                            It sure is interesting to me though, and your work examples are terrific.

                            Thanks,

                            CWS
                            Last edited by CWSmith; 08-19-2012, 02:38 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: granite chess board anyone?

                              Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                              Really? I would never have thought you could use a "router bit" on granite or any other stone... are these something special, like diamond-edged or something just designed for stone?

                              Years ago (well, make that a half-century), when I was in my late teens I helped a guy open a new stone quarry, but that was for sedimentary stone, flat stone which is common here in NY's Southern Tier. I learned to cut that with a chisel and stone hammer. Granite is just so much harder though and I've only seen that cut on a diamond, wet saw. I have no idea how to work it otherwise.

                              It sure is interesting to me though, and your work examples are terrific.

                              Thanks,

                              CWS
                              Sorry - when I said router bit I was implying a stone router bit which is not the same as a wood router bit. You are correct - these are diamond bits. It's not difficult to get into doing this stuff with hand tools. For example I cut granite with a Makita Hypoid saw with Loc-Line hose attachment for wet operation and you can use a set of straight edges (I have some steel ones) for making straight cuts. You can also buy pre-made saws (called rail saws) that achieve the same thing but more expensive. The equivalent of a table saw is a bridge saw but unless you get serious not worth getting - hogs space and also costs a bit.

                              I will direct either of you two gentlemen to the Stone Fabricators Alliance website if you are serious about getting into stone working. Go to Welcome to the SFA and use the forums. You can also go the Stone Advice website - that's the old SFA website - Stone Advice : Forum, Articles, Photo Gallery. Not much going on there anymore but lots of good threads to read through. For example polishing techniques.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X