X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing Frenzy

Viacom announced that due to declining revenues they would be adding more commercial time during regular programming. Is it just me or does it seem like you can't go anywhere these days without someone trying to sell you something? Last night I was watching a program and went to the kitchen to get something to eat. I didn't find what I wanted so I hopped in the car and drove to the corner store thats about a mile and a half away. When I got back home, the commercials were still playing. Have we had about enough of this crap?
    sigpic

Re: Marketing Frenzy

seems like once a year people throw a party to watch the commercials during the big game

for 2mil at 30 seconds, they sure do get our attention.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Feels like we are here for there amusement somethimes. Can't even watch a Youtube video with getting forced into a commercial, same thing at the movies. Best I can do is use the remote to mute the sound or switch the channel. Frank

Comment

I too got sick of the commercials and also realized i was paying for them. I was paying the cable company $120.00 a month to watch my show with all these commercials. So i have done what a lot of people are doing, got rid of cable, use the internet with Netflix and watch most shows commercial free. Some shows you can start at show 1 season 1 and watch all of them up to the current season. My teens love it more than cable. And the one sony box they had me get has an icon for you tube.It does not have the latest season or new release movies but then you can look at Hulu or any other non cable providers. Cut my cable bill by $110.00 a month, Netflix is $8.00 a month, But no commercials. I spent to much time watching tv anyway.

Comment

Yeah, too many commercials and they are always at least twice the volumne of the program you are trying to watch!

You really want to see how bad it is, you need to tune into something like the "RetroPlex" channel. Here in our area, that is only one of the two commericial-free "movie" channels that we get via Time-Warner Cable (the other is TCM, Turner Classic Movies). Anyway, on Saturday nights they run old TV westerns which currently are the "Lawman" half-hour and the "Cimmaron" which I believe was originally 90 or 120 minutes, with all the commercials. So, Retroplex runs two "Lawman" episodes from 8:00 to 8:50.... that means that originally, those two half-hour programs (from the 60's or 70's) had only about five minutes of commercials each.... can you imagine, only five minutes of commercials for an entire half-hour? "Cimarron" currently runs from approx 8:50 to 10:00.... so if it was originally a 2-hour program, that meant that it had only 20-minutes of commercials and station breaks for that 2-hour period.

I've often wondered why we need so many commercials. Does it really cost that much to do these things today? It makes me wonder about the whole economy, in many ways. Back in the 50's when I was just a little kid, there were were real cops at all the major intersections that I had to cross going to school. Also, when you went downtown shopping, there were "foot-patrol" cops everywhere. I remember when the shift change occured, they'd march out of the old police station like a company of soldiers... must have been a hundred of them or more and regardless of day or night, they were everywhere downtown. Now you might occasionally see a patrol car here or there.

I grew-up in the 50's (grade school) and my Mom stayed home and my Dad worked in a Gas Station. Yet we owned a home, had a TV, and a car (although an older one) and we ate pretty good and I always had new clothes for school. By the time I got to high school, by Dad had a car and a truck and we had a color TV and a new house, with new furniture, etc.

We weren't alone, as my neighbor buddies had stay-at-home Moms too, and their Dads had similar jobs... Jim's Dad was a "Milkman", Tommy's father worked in the local hospital kitchen, Joe's Dad was a janitor at the Jewish Community Center, Mr. Best down the street was a salesman in a shoe store, and my future wife's father sold hardware at Sears.

My first non-farm job in Sept. 1963 was only making $1.25 an hour and I only worked 37-1/2 hours a week... yet that first Christmas I bought my Mom a typewriter and my Dad a jig saw. I also bought myself a new sports coat. All from the most exclusive dept store in Binghamton (Fowler's) where I worked as a bus boy. In '64 I changed to a factory job, then making a whopping $1.50 an hour, and then to an office job, making $1.65. That spring, I bought my first brand-new car, a '65 VW.

Point is that everything seems to be costing a lot more for everybody since the early 80's. Pay has gone up tremendously, but the prices have far out-paced the wages and people simply can't afford things like they used to; apparently even TV Networks!

CWS

Comment

Excellent observations CWS.My dad worked in a food store the A&P , we lived in apts had a car, black and white tv, wired radio. My Mom cooked a wide variety of foods, lamb chops, all sorts of sea food, meats, everything.Nowadays I shop like I'm on food stamps, buying cheap cuts of meat, very little fish. I look at the steaks and shake my head at $10.00 a pound, lamb chops at $16 a pound! Don't know why we have to pay $100 for the pleasure of watching tv and commercials, even on pay movie channels? I have a gizmo that allows me to record any program off of cable, but without that I can't even record a program or movie and watch it later. Back in the day Mom and Dad would take us driving upstate to different state parks every weekend. We always drove on at least one weekend day and have family visit the other. I'm not driving around with gasoline over $4 a gallon. We may have all sorts of electronic devices but give me low cost good quality food and cheap gasoline and you can keep the iphones, laptops and flat screens. We had many fewer tv programs but they were great shows and yes, the commercials were maybe 5 minutes every half hour, not three or four minutes every ten minutes. Do any of you watch storage hunters? A commercial every 5 to 7 minutes! We are not living the dream in my opinion.

Comment

You cant channel surf anymore either because all the channels play commercials at the same time.
              26+6=1

Comment

It's insanity I tell you. Pop up ads on every site I visit. You tube commercials, watch this, click here, little icon thingies in the corner of my TV screen wanting me to go on FaceBook and like them...... F! them is what I say. Does anybody really buy stuff because of the advertising.......Oh, I guess they do actually. Witness the millions of sheep that feel the need to have an Iphone in their pocket even though most any smart phone running android will blow the p.o.s out of the water. I must be getting old I guess. Think I'll head down to the Packy and pick up a six of Bud Light Platinum, smooth taste with a clean finish.......
                sigpic

Comment

Ummmm, Love that 6.8% Bud Light Platinum... Finally a light beer with more alcohol than regular beer.... At least we have one good value going for us.

Comment

Originally posted by fresnoplummr View Post
                    Ummmm, Love that 6.8% Bud Light Platinum... Finally a light beer with more alcohol than regular beer.... At least we have one good value going for us.
                    There's a commercial for that...

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                      Point is that everything seems to be costing a lot more for everybody since the early 80's. Pay has gone up tremendously, but the prices have far out-paced the wages and people simply can't afford things like they used to; apparently even TV Networks!
                      CWS
                      Seems? SEEMS?

Sir, it does cost more for everyone! This is what I have been ranting about for this entire time! I've had this coversation before. I'll state this again, back in the 70's during a recession, a man only had to work ten minutes at the federal minimum wage back then for one loaf of bread and one gallon of gasoline. Translating, all a supermarket stock clerk had to do in ten minutes was punch in, don his apron, and load up one case of soup to pay for his commute TO work, commute FROM work, AND his lunch, all that for working 1/6th of an hour!. Today, 1/6th of an hour at $7.25 per hour is about $1.20. We can't even buy half a loaf of bread with that! Even less the gasoline to drive to work! Today I paid $3.59 for a loaf and $3.81 for a gallon of gasoline! That's $7.40, meaning today a man has to work over an hour for the same product that a man from an earlier time only had to work 10 minutes for.

Goddamn this topic rips me a new one...

Comment

That same gallon of gasoline in CT would be $4.14!!!!! Sure looks like someone wants us to switch to an alterantive fuel? Okay, I'm ready for that hybrid car, problem is I can't afford the old car I have, so how do I pay $40,000 for a chevy volt? I can't afford the price of meat and fish and produce, so sign me up for soylent green!!! Whatever the folks in charge think is best for me will be fine, I have no choice, no opinion, no free will. Happy now?

Comment

Seems I read someplace that in the end, a loaf of bread will cost a days wages. Are we there yet?
                          Just asking.

Comment

I hope you weren't picking on me for "seems"... it's just a polite term... of course I agree with you entirely. I thought it was just me and perhaps your wages might have kept pace... you'd be one of the few if it had.

More important perhaps is the "whys" of that. I like to say that there is only so much money to go around... if you are extremely rich, then that must mean you're stealing it from the rest of us. Unfortunately that is largely true. Management never made the kind of difference that exists in today's business... I mean the difference in pay between the worker and the management.

In my first factory job back in 1964, I made about $1.50... that was $60 a week without overtime. My manager made $2.25 and the middle-level managers made $5.... they were the $10K guys! The company owner probably made about $50K, but I'm only guessing based on what they drove and the houses they lived in.

AT retirement in 2003, my immediate manager made more than twice my salary. His manager made ten times my salary and the CEO was doing something like over a $Million in salary, and probably twice that much in bonuses. They WERE stealing from the rest of us, literally!

And with our investments, and if you are so lucky, pensions... the theft is ridiculouse and totally uncontrolled. We hear how hard it was on the City of New York when the bust hit the big financial companies.... NYC lost $Millions in taxes because bonuses were not handled out in the same manner that year. Those Wall Street guys get massive bonuses... and it comes from skimming straight out of our savings and pension investments.

It is those kinds of things that have given "capitalism" such a bad rap for many of us. "Capitalism" is what built this country, but at one time it was about having an idea, having a product, building a company, and having employees who contributed to that process. Yes the guy who owned the company was the initiator, the entrepreneur, but it was his employees who made the product, helped develop it and who ensured its quality and reliability that were very important to its growth. That was recognized and rewarded. Many were the times when the economics of the moment might falter, but I've actually worked for companies and know of other companies where management hung onto their workers as long as possible... because they were "assets". These were earlier times when "the company" and it's products were important and everyone contributed to it's survival; and the employee, as an asset was preserved for the good of the company.

Today, there are probably very few companies that still adhere to that philosophy. Most companies are very much like my ex-employer and the other companies in this area. Employees are no more valuable than the raw material we need to make product. In fact, the employees are more easily manipulated and used to make profit. When "the numbers" aren't promising, you can't reduce the bottom line by ditching material or machinery... but it is a very easy and quick task to layoff employees. You can change the bottom line on your accounting sheet in the blink of an eye, simply by reducing your head count. Believe me, I've seen my management "make their numbers" year after year by laying off hundreds of workers. It's always so nice to face the holiday season when you've just lost your job. But what the He!!, if management "made their numbers", they got their bonuses... and every year the plant manager would buy a new Cadillac... but the factory workers handled their Christmas giving out of their un-employment checks.

So yeah, we don't get to buy the stuff that we used to be able to afford easily. The middle class has shrunk dramatically, with far too many dropping into the poverty zone. The profits don't get shared anymore... the guys on top just fatten themselves. And when the employee gets squeezed to the point that there is nothing left to take, then its fairly easy to simply buy foreign workers and pay them less.... and after that profit is squeezed to the maximum, the owners can simply scuttle the plant entirely and let the community pick up the waste that was left. Companies are no longer thought of as long-term assets to be preserved. We can simply move the entire operation off-shore if need be. But all too often the owners just sell everything off, and reestablish it under a new name, in a new land. Maximum PROFIT is all that matters.

CWS
                            Last edited by CWSmith; 09-08-2012, 12:15 PM. Reason: typo... change is in red

Comment

everything seems to be costing a lot more for everybody since the early 80's.
                              isn't that when all that 'trickle down' economics cr@p got started?
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X