X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Gallon Bucket Recycling

I made myself a lint trap for my dryer because the washroom is not on an outside wall. I further filter it by putting three layers of window screen over exhaust duct on my trap..
    I know they have wee little traps you can buy at home depot but, you have to fill them up with water every time you use the dryer. I can go a long time without adding water. I put about a cup of bleach in the water so nothing starts to grow.. It has been working out great for the last 11/12 years...
    Attached Files

Re: 5 Gallon Bucket Recycling

how does this thing work?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      The vent as you see goes in one side. That has a 3" pvc coupling inside of it. And with a 3"-4" long 3" pvc pipe in the coupler, the pipe is notched so the dryer air is deflected towards the back of bucket. In the meantime by the water cavitation and the vent air blowing into it, that is how the lint is being trapped/filtered by it..

Comment

Ok GJ,
        Took some pictures on the inlet because I know it's alot easier to understand with pictures..
        Attached Files

Comment

I think I see the principle behind your design except I don't quite understand the purpose of the metal contraption on the top of the bucket.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            I think I see the principle behind your design except I don't quite understand the purpose of the metal contraption on the top of the bucket.
            That is just a duct to keep the hot air flowing away from the wall and table top that it sits under..
            It's kinda crude but it works...

Comment

so the hose goes into the water or is just stuck to the top of the bucket?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

so the hose goes into the water or is just stuck to the top of the bucket?
                No the air duct hose from the dryer does not touch the water.. I fill the bucket to with in 3-4" of the "deflector" and when the bucket gets to have only about 6" of water left in it I fill it back up. Maybe once a year or so I dump the water out to clean up all the lint that settles on the bottom of the bucket.

Comment

Yep. Seen it. Free heat if you can control the humidity.

Comment

I like it! Great design and practical use. Thanks

Comment

i use them in an emergency when the ducted vent is not working. but it's just a temporary thing. i bet after a year you have enough lint for a sweater and socks

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I will definetly be using this. Our dryer vents directly outside so there is always alot of lint everywhere.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I think one of the main issues with dryer lint is that people wait too long to clean the lint screen that's built into the dryer. A few years back I started,(yeah, I do most of the laundry at our house ) to clean the screen after every second load. That has almost all but eliminated any lint build-up around the outside of the house. For me that's importatnt as my air conditioners compressor is right under the dryer discharge vent.
                          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I will definetly be using this. Our dryer vents directly outside so there is always alot of lint everywhere.

GJ,
                            Then what you can do is install a 3" pvc 1/4 bend on the exhaust side of the water lint trap and continue your hose/duct from that to the outside of the wall. I guess you would call it "cut it in". That way you would still have the outside vent discharge with 95% less lint and you would not have to use window screening...
                            My trap is sitting on my shop floor and I don't have any lint problems.. But I also use 3 layers of screening on the exhaust side.
                            I clean the lint screen in the dryer after every or every other time we use the dryer..

When I would go on a service call for plumbing I would have the lady of the house say, "too bad you don't fix appliances". So I would ask them what needs service or what is your problem? A lot of times they would say my dryer don't work as good as it used to. so I checked the lint screen and 80% of the time that was thier problem....That and the screen in the washer machine hoses would be clogged with sediment so I would fill real slow. For that matter so would the aerators...

Comment

Their has been times i have to snake out dryer vent pipes to remove excess lint buildup
                              JERRYMAC
                              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X