X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dealing with a Bully

As I was growing up I have always heard “Indian Giver”, meaning to give someone something then take it back. Well that is a big fat lie. What did the Indians give us that they took back? The answer to that is nothing. It was the government that gave to the Indians and then took it back. So let’s call it like it is, “Government Giver” Yea that’s more like it…

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
      In this day of the Internet you can find all sorts of sites designed to cater to people's fears about certain things - I'm guessing in order to find more recruits. The KKK pushes the concept of a white Christian society and informs everyone how the white race is going to disappear soon. Fearful about illegal immigrants - plenty of sites out there with stats on how they are going to overrrun the country. Fearful about Islam invading our shores - go to CBN and watch their videos to be convinced.

I have a friend who has some of these fears and goes to these sites to reinforce his fears. I cannot understand it. I should have become a psychologist instead of an engineer and studied people like this to understand what makes them tick.

Blue,
      Some call it fear and some warning, if something is or isn't done about a given situation..
      But, no matter who is giving this fear/warning without probable cause or evidence you have to take it with a grain of salt, sometimes rock salt.. They also need to say why they came to this conclusion..
      God created us all equal. And for those that say differently, some how they got corrupted. I am no better than someone else but, at the same time someone else is no better than me.. Our actions shows others who we really are. Like the old saying goes,"actions speak louder than words"..
      I think it's good to get a warning if it has merit. And that would be easy enough to find out, though investigation of sorts..

I bet the Indians (Native Americans) would have liked a warning that the white man was going to invade thier country, you kinda wounder where we would be today if that happened..(food for thought)

Comment

Originally posted by urch55 View Post
        As I was growing up I have always heard “Indian Giver”, meaning to give someone something then take it back. Well that is a big fat lie. What did the Indians give us that they took back? The answer to that is nothing. It was the government that gave to the Indians and then took it back. So let’s call it like it is, “Government Giver” Yea that’s more like it…
        Urch,

Understand your sentiment and agree with it, but I think you interpret the saying from the wrong side.... "Indian Giver" (at least as I have always known it) actually does mean "to give to an Indian".... not the other way round as you interpret it. It's used in the same light as a "care giver".... meaning that "you give care" and not that "care" gives you. So an "Indian Giver" is one who gives to Indians.

But your point is well taken, we European white invaders of North America have treated the indiginous "Indian" population most shamelessly. But, I think if anyone looks at the history of white Europeans, one would find our ancestor's history of conquest and subjugation quite shameless throughout history. Even in the last century our own country's imperial/commercial interests have not served us well, in the moral sense, in parts of Central and South America, the Middle East, and parts of the Asia and the Pacific.

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 10-02-2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

wow just goes to show! I always thought it was what urch said.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
            Urch,

Understand your sentiment and agree with it, but I think you interpret the saying from the wrong side.... "Indian Giver" (at least as I have always known it) actually does mean "to give to an Indian".... not the other way round as you interpret it. It's used in the same light as a "care giver".... meaning that "you give care" and not that "care" gives you. So an "Indian Giver" is one who gives to Indians.

CWS

CWS,
            Nope, that example you gave don't make sense. "care giver" gives care yep I understand but, "Indian giver" does not give Indians....

Any way, it's not just me and the era I was raised in check this out..Indian giver - Definition of Indian giver
            Here's an examplehttp://idioms.yourdictionary.com/indian-giver
            Last edited by urch55; 10-02-2012, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Okay, I see the definition you referred to.... but this is the internet, so it doesn't necessarily make it a fact !

Here's another link (Wikipedia) that pretty much goes along with your interpretation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_giver

However, I can see my interpretation being in there too (I grew up in NY). My family alledgedly is part indian, but I have no idea what tribe... and as my wife once stated, "One nose bleed and you're out of the tribe!" (That refers to how far back and how little actual "Indian blood" I might have at this point.)

I guess my interpretation may well be just a family or regional thing. Here in my family the interpretation has always been as I stated, and that is how I have understood it for as long as I can remember.

But, I can also see it the other way too. I've seen a couple of movies of the supposed "more realistic" of portrayal of indians in which an indian gives or receives something and in turn something was given in exchange. So I guess either explanation of the term can be used or has an explanation for the particular interpretation.

If viewed as an indian tradition, I see nothing whatsoever negative about it. One offering is matched by another... it seems a nice (and even Christian-like) tradition to "exchange" offerings.

But as I interpret it, "giving and then taking it back" it is definitely a negative!

Thanks for the link,

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 10-03-2012, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I say, amen to that Frankiarmz !!!

Comment

Originally posted by urch55 View Post
                  Blue,
                  Some call it fear and some warning, if something is or isn't done about a given situation..
                  But, no matter who is giving this fear/warning without probable cause or evidence you have to take it with a grain of salt, sometimes rock salt.. They also need to say why they came to this conclusion..
                  God created us all equal. And for those that say differently, some how they got corrupted. I am no better than someone else but, at the same time someone else is no better than me.. Our actions shows others who we really are. Like the old saying goes,"actions speak louder than words"..
                  I think it's good to get a warning if it has merit. And that would be easy enough to find out, though investigation of sorts..

I bet the Indians (Native Americans) would have liked a warning that the white man was going to invade their country, you kinda wounder where we would be today if that happened..(food for thought)
                  While it is good to know about things, you need to know whether the info comes from a credible source. For me a good indication about the credibility involves who is providing the message (like a Christian organization telling everyone how Sharia law is coming) as well as the tone of the website. If it is filled with highly emotive messages all on the same topic (eg illegal immigration) that's another red flag. It's designed to play on your emotions. As for facts - in general there is so much online sometimes it is hard to tell what the real facts are. Anyone can probably find a link to support there arguments and make it look like fact.

Comment

Working...
                  X