Redgard vs Morter Mixed with Acrylic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redgard vs Morter Mixed with Acrylic

Sorry if I am not posting this in the correct place, this is my first post. My contractor wants to use morter mixed with acrylic to cover the screws that he drilled into the Hardibacker he is using for my shower. I keep reading about Redgard. Should I insist on Redgard or just let him go with morter with acrylic. Please let me know your opinions ASAP. Thanks!

Re: Redgard vs Morter Mixed with Acrylic

Thinset is fine to cover screws if it is on the walls of the shower/tub surround, aslong as your not doing a steam shower and as long as your above the pan. Most CBU manufactures recommend thinset over the screws/nails, and thinset set in fiberglass tape on the seems.
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    Moore, Oklahoma
    (
    405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
    http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

I say do it right the first time.

Use Redgard and never have to worry about the job!

Cactus Man

Comment

Redguard is a paint on moisture barrier. Mortar is simply masonry with no moisture barrier capabilities. What has been/is being used in your shower as a moisture barrier? You need something - you cannot just use backerboard and expect it to be water proof.

I would suggest you head over to the John Bridge forum and ask your question there and possibly in more detail in case a moisture barrier has not been used - that's not the correct way to build a waterproof shower.

Comment

I will no longer install any bathroom tile, tub, shower, hell even the floor without redgard installed behind it. It's cheap insurance. I've had contractors complain that it adds time to the install, I tell them to bad, I don't care, I don't cut corners.

Comment

No reason to install Redguard on the walls of your shower. Doesn't have to be waterproof there. Use Epoxy/Urethane grout if you want to go above what the norm is. If your going to use a waterproofing membrane go with Hydroban or Aqua defense. Redguard is the worst membrane you can buy. It will just pill right off once cured.
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

You need something - you cannot just use backerboard and anticipate it to be waterproof.
              Landscape Paintings
              Van Gogh Paintings

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                No reason to install Redguard on the walls of your shower. Doesn't have to be waterproof there.
                What in the world?

Comment

Working...
                X