X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazard Fraught Tools

just thought you may enjoy seeing this, there may be some items that interest you,

Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 10-11-2012, 10:31 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: Hazard Fraught Tools

I have that cordless hammer. The switch on it malfunctioned and I couldn't get it to shut off. I ended up framing an entire two story home in an hour and a half.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

With these high gas prices that manual chainsaw looks like a good buy.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Lol
        that Moron lamp wood be good in a dark cabinet if i could rest my head on a roll of paper towels

Comment

a buddy of mine that knows the owner of hf very good sent me that a week ago.

pretty amusing and somewhat accurate

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I have a few HF things - some things are actually not bad - others total junk and some in-between. Having said that I'm speaking as someone who uses these these things in a DIY context - whether they would survive daily use is another matter.

Comment

I want a cordless extension cord, but il settle for the garden hose extention cord.

Comment

One of you guys pick up a moron lamp and chainsaw for me. They would be a sensation down under...................!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

when harbor freight first came out most of there tools were junk, but over the years they have been better quality, still have to watch there products, but I have bought a number of there products and have been very pleasantly surprised, with the quality of them,

I have there over sized socket set for 3/4" drive, the neighbor was working on a semi truck and needed a socket that fit the transmission shaft, so he borrowed the size that fit the nut, and could not loosen it so the Idea came to them to put the truck in gear and use the engine to turn the shaft, (using a SK sliding t bar) they did that and wrapped the SK T bar in to a curly cue, and the socket was no worse for wear,

I have most every summer a group of high school kids from the city come out for a week and help on the farm (they want to experience some farm life and it is a program through our local church), and have bought a number of Harbor freight tools for that program, besides some small "sharping" of some of the pry bars, they have preformed well,

I have some of there impact wrenches, in 3/8, 3/4, and one inch, drive sizes, (no they probably would not last in a commercial tire shop), but they do me very well, for the times I have needed them,

I do consider them on some of my tool purchases,

there hand screw wood clamps, I have many of them and there are good,

but not that impressed with there electrical tools only have bought two of them and not that impressed,

but there a company that has a place,

but I did think that the fake add was funny,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

We had a Harbour Freight open in our area about a year and a half ago. I think they've made a major dent in the three other tool suppliers in our area (Sears, Lowes, and Home Depot). You go the HF and they are always crowded.

I had never purchased from HF before the local store opened. Today, I have made several purchases and have been pleasantly surprised. Some of the stuff in the store may be fairly poor, but then there are a lot of very good items too. Like most places, you just have to know what you are looking at. I don't own any of their power tools though. I have a couple of thier inexpensive tool cabinets, the woodworking bench, and things for measure like aluminum yard stick, squares, etc. All are accurate and as useable as useable as competitors costing four and five times as much. I also like their screw clamps which work very well and are quite affordable.

My most recent purchase was their dovetail jig ($24 with their famous 20% coupon). I only purchased this to see what it was like, figuring it would be really cheap and flimsy and would have to return it. I was very much surprised, all heavy gauge steel, and found it to be 1/4 the price of the nearest "look-a-like" (both made in China). It took a little deburring, but what a deal!

CWS

Comment

I know just the person at work for that rotary nose picking kit.
                      I think an aanonymous gift is in order, and not a gag gift either.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Somebody has either way too much time on their hands or a serious beef with Harbor Freight
                        sigpic

Comment

If you look online there are countless threads about HF tools - what's good and bad etc. I'm a member on practicalmachinst.com website (not been there in a while) and they are pretty tolerant to DIY questions on metalworking/machining but HF tool discussions went too far and they were banned

I too have quite a few of their stuff and that has saved me quite a few $ over the years from buying brand names. Good experiences include their C-clamps on sale for around $1 each - used them heavily in stone working and they still look good. A few name brand ones corroded quickly and had to be discarded they got so bad.

I don't tend to buy anything that I don;t want to breakdown during use which as masonry equipment. When I needed a small concrete mixer I avoided HF and bought a Multiquip. However, I caved in a bought a HF concrete vibrator. Needless to say I got a burning smell and it died at the end of one pour (luckily I was almost done). Opened it up and found that due to poor assembly they had not secured a wire in a terminal block. That had come loose and arced melting the terminal block. 50 cents later and a bit of my time and it was running again. I have to say I was quite impressed with the build quality of the motor and internal components such as bearings.

Garbage tools - taps and dies - threw them away and got some Greenfield ones for the project. A heat gun that started sparking and died in the middle of a project. Luckily I had purchased the "extended" warranty - normally I don't do that but they were donating proceeds at that time to the victims of the 2007 SD wildfires so I got that to help the cause. So took it back in and they gave me a redesigned much nicer one that still works.

Some of their metalworking stuff is worth getting if you do any metalworking or automotive repairs. I have th 4X6 metal bandsaw and 20 Ton press among other things. The press has come in useful for fixing many things including compressing clutch packs while rebuilding transmissions.

I've heard good things about the mini lathe and the small mills but I don't do enough metalworking to warrant purchasing those.

Comment

Well you can always step up to quality tools with Northern Tool
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              Well you can always step up to quality tools with Northern Tool
                              Is that a full step or a half step?
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X