• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hurricane SANDY

Stay safe guys!

Comment

0530 well it's been raining here all night but nothing worse than your average storm.

wind is starting to pick up a little, its 52°F here so if the power goes out people won't
      freeze though they may be a little cold.

if you look at the chart in my original post, you may notice that the track has changed slightly and now has the storm coming into Delaware Bay, which puts it within a few miles of me. That track line is within 2 miles of my house. Back when I started this thread the track had SANDY hitting NJ somewhere along Long Beach Island. The chart in my first post is pulled from the NWS site and updates each time an advisory is issued.

Name:  6685a3fbc138d7210f402c74074b167c.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  182.7 KB
      Last edited by Bob D.; 10-29-2012, 05:15 AM.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Hurricane SANDY QuickLook, POSTED 06:00 EDT 10/29/2012
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

Bob D,

Thanks for the referance to the storm track and data. Interesting that it is now forecast to turn north and it looks like it is going to run right up the Route 15 valley towards Williamsport, PA and then continue on through the Corning, NY area.... that of course means it going to run right over my home in Painted Post which sits on the side of the hill facing south down that valley (like directly in the path). I sure hope the hills in northern PA will dampen the heck out of it by then though. We've got a few big trees on that property, but I keep them trimmed so hopefully the damage will be minimal to none. I'm well up on the side of the hill, so no flooding worries; but, there's always that runoff which loves my driveway and basement thanks to the village.

People crack me up when it comes to these storms. There's always a panic with store shelves being cleared, folks buying up flashlights and batteries, and just going crazy in thier rush to get stuff. What?... like you've never seen a storm before?

Probably a couple of dozen acquaintenance have asked us if we're preparing for the storm. Hey, I'm always prepared. Routine for me yesterday was just checking on the state of charge for all the batteries yesterday and topping off a couple. We've got enough flashlights and batteries on hand that I think I can supply the neighbors. Biggest problem here will be the severity of the wind, but I've got no large trees on the property here; so just have to worry about debris from the neighbors. Heat is my only weakness at this house if there is a long and sustained outage. At that point I think we'd have to use the fireplace. Everything else is covered I think though.

One thing of course that came to mind a year or so ago, is that most modern gas stoves don't function without electricity for their ignitors. I imagine that while gas may continued to flow for an extended period, you can't use it if the ignitor and safety on your kitchen range (or other "green" appliance) won't work. I've got a couple of AC Invertors and back-up batteries should that event occur. Hopefully that base is covered for a few days of outages. (I can also charge those via one of the vehicles too.) Next year's budget I'm planning a generator system.

Good luck to everyone,

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 10-29-2012, 10:49 AM.

Comment

VIDEO: PSE&G preps for flooding, downed trees in advance of Hurricane Sandy – President Ralph LaRossa explains – Early Start with John Berman & Zoraida Sambolin - CNN.com Blogs

Wind is finally starting to pickup here to where you could say we are
            getting some severe WX. Rain has increased to a strong downpour.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 10-29-2012, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Bob, our prayers are with you and everyone else in the path of this storm.
              ================================================== ====
              ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Rain so far, here in the Binghamton area has been very mild, and for most of the afternoon more of a mist. Wind was heavier but still not out of ordinary for a "winter" and at the moment (7:30 Eastern), it maybe gusting 20 mph or so. The night will tell I'm sure.

Down in NJ, it looks pretty nasty on the nightly news show.... Hope things go well for you Bob and also for you Flux, as the storm moves inland.

CWS

Comment

For those of you here that are Amateur Radio Operators.....Ham Radio....
                  please stay away from 14.325mhz This is the emergency hurricane frequency where critical messages
                  will be passed and weather information announced.

I'd even suggest you stay +/-4khz away as you transmit you may inadvertently be in their bandpass and cause weak
                  signals from getting through.

Also as a side note it's really a shame that we actually have folks that are jamming and interfering maliciously
                  and with intent to disrupt!!!!! Too bad the FCC is impotent and refuses to remove such folks from the Ham Radio
                  brotherhood.

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                    For those of you here that are Amateur Radio Operators.....Ham Radio....
                    please stay away from 14.325mhz This is the emergency hurricane frequency where critical messages
                    will be passed and weather information announced.

I'd even suggest you stay +/-4khz away as you transmit you may inadvertently be in their bandpass and cause weak
                    signals from getting through.

Also as a side note it's really a shame that we actually have folks that are jamming and interfering maliciously
                    and with intent to disrupt!!!!! Too bad the FCC is impotent and refuses to remove such folks from the Ham Radio
                    brotherhood.

Cactus Man
                    Those of us who are Hams and remember one of the primary missions of Amateur Radio is helping in emergencies and know not to tx on 14.325 unless involved. Those who are giving you trouble are not true Hams.

Comment

Eye of storm is passing through our area now. Relatively calm but still raining. So far this has not been as serious a storm as I expected it to be based on the reports. Either my area escaped the worst or it broke apart when it made landfall.

About 140,000 w/o power in the 7 southern counties of NJ right now. We still have power, never lost it but its not over yet.

Thanks everyone for your best wishes for everyone in the area and for me and my family, much appreciated.

I think that the state, county, and local government agencies all did well in prepping for this storm. Some will say they did too much and over-reacted, I don't believe that to be the case. I was many years ago the OEM Coordinator for a city of about 18,000, so I have an idea of what it takes to prepare for a storm like this.
                      Last edited by Bob D.; 10-29-2012, 09:34 PM.

Comment

So we did end up losing power last night. Sometime around 4am, then it came back on at ~9am. Can't see any serious damage looking out the window, haven't been out on the roads yet but downed wires in our area. Still raining here, theclosestrivergauging station has the river at just about 1.5' above flood stage, so not too bad. A little over a year ago (august 2011) when we got all that rain this same gauging station went off scale high and the road was covered with over 5 feet of water. We are still recovering frpm last years storm, with 3 bridges/spillways destroyed and 3 lakes dry after 14 months.

Comment

Bob,

Very happy to hear you folks made it through the storm okay and also thanks for the Ham Radio note.

CWS

Comment

That’s very prepared of you. Be safe everyone.

BandSaw Blades Online - Custom Welded Band Saw Blades

Comment

Well, i spoke too soon. Along the north side of my property we have a line of arborvitaes which form a barrier with the neighbors. They have been there since the house was built and are about 18 feet tall. As the storm passed over and the wind direction reversed it blew about 20 of them over. They are not visible from the house and i didn't notice the damage until i took some trash out behind the garage around 2 pm. So now i had to figure out how to pull these trees back upright and anchor them until (hopefully) take root again. They were pulled over but not broken or completely uprooted, so maybe i have a chance to save them. I went to TSC and bought all the screw anchors they had which was only four. So I picked the two worst trees and used my come-a-long to pull them back to vertical then propped them up with a 2x4 and some ropes running from the anchors to the trunk. Ran out of daylight and it was starting to rain so i finished up for the day. Tomorrow i will have to find another dozen anchors for the rest of the trees.

Name:  4526053657f12ddbfb56f16af7d14ea3.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  59.1 KB

In the photo above you can see the line of trees. All those just below the garage are the ones that have been blown over. I believe it is because they are on the north side of the garage (north is the bottom of the photo) so they get little sun except for the portion of the tree which reaches above the roof line. so they have not developed a strong root system and so are vulnerable to high winds from the south.

As the eye of SANDY approached the winds were from the north and that pushed the trees up against the side of the garage so no damage. But when the back of the storm came through the wind was coming out of the south and the tops of the trees, about 6 to 8 feet, was exposed to the 50+ mph winds. Anyway the whole length of the garage, about 52 feet, the trees will need to be reinforced with anchors and cables. I'll screw the anchors in next to the foundation of the garage, about 3 feet from the base of the tree. That's as far away as I can get. I plan to put the anchors spaced between each tree and run two cables to each tree at roughly a 45 angle so that each anchor will have two trees attached with cables run out at a 45 and angled roughly 45 deg up. I used this layout on a couple of the trees up along the driveway (where you see the Hummer parked in front of the garage) a couple years ago and it seems to have worked. Those trees didn't budge in the past couple days so I hope it will work again here. Anchors are ~$10 each which is cheaper than replacing all those trees so its worth a try to me.

I'll try to remember to get some more photos tomorrow.
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 10-30-2012, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Been without power a couple days, just came back on. Generator did a great job! I had no damage, but many neighbors were not so lucky. Massive trees down on houses and cars, a few people killed. Boats that were dry docked floated onto roads and lawns. My prayers to all. Frank

Comment

Working...
                                X