Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hurricane SANDY

Franki,

I was thinking of you the last couple of days as I figured your location was going to get bashed a bit. Sorry to hear of the power outages, but I knew you would be well prepared for that (especially with your flashlight colletion ).

I'm very glad to hear that you made it through the storm without physical damage to your property. That's great! Sorry of course for you neighbors... were those people "killed" that you mentioned in your neighborhood?

I have a neice living in mid-NJ, and they are still without power, but thankfully they are all doing well and nothing more than superficial damage to the property from the wind. NO water damage, thankfully.

Best wishes,

CWS

Comment

If you want to download a special digital edition of the Newark Star-Ledger about the hurricane go here and follow the instructions. Don't know how long it will be available so don't delay, download today

Get The Star-Ledger's 24-page digital replica edition commemorating Hurricane Sandy's historic landfall in New Jersey — for free.

Go to The Star-Ledger | Digital Replica Edition - Daypass Logon and enter your phone number, email address and the access code "FREE", in all capital letters.

Download FREE Special Sandy Edition of The Star-Ledger | NJ.com
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        Franki,

I was thinking of you the last couple of days as I figured your location was going to get bashed a bit. Sorry to hear of the power outages, but I knew you would be well prepared for that (especially with your flashlight colletion ).

I'm very glad to hear that you made it through the storm without physical damage to your property. That's great! Sorry of course for you neighbors... were those people "killed" that you mentioned in your neighborhood?

I have a neice living in mid-NJ, and they are still without power, but thankfully they are all doing well and nothing more than superficial damage to the property from the wind. NO water damage, thankfully.

Best wishes,

CWS
        Thanks for the concern. No deaths nearby. My wife thinks I'm a bit of a survivalist, but she can't argue with the results! The LED flashlights are great, especially when combined with certain rechargeables. I have a couple coleman fluorescent tube camping lanterns, but I want the LED lantern by Rayovac. Thanks to my husqvarna generator, no spoiled food! Catching up on the devistation is difficult to watch. I feel so bad for all the folks having to rebuild their homes and businesses. Frank
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camping-Hiki...066#vi-content
        Last edited by Frankiarmz; 10-31-2012, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Well, finally got the power back at 11:00AM after being out the first time (pre storm) with a tree with saturated ground falling across the lines at 11:00AM, 10/29. Got taken care of relatively fast and was back with power at 3:00PM. At 4:45PM, it goes back out again. Look up the road and another tree came over the same lines. As a side note, the four or five times that we have lost power the past couple of years, it has been caused by trees in this same particular area. I am in a somewhat heavily treed area as it is, so really nothing of real note about this particular treed area.

So again, the pocket of us 48 people (the total households affected by these trees) are with a tree (again) across the road and no power, winds are increasing quite substantially, darkness is approaching, and the Eye is heading our way. And just being a small group of households, we all know that we are pretty far down on the priority list, plus our outage is somewhat isolated from the larger ones that I saw online before the internet went out.

So, being fully prepared, had all emergency systems up and running. Both Freezers and Refrigerators, well pump, both bathrooms, master bedroom, selected power outlets in the kitchen for microwave and coffee maker, and everything in the family room (TV, computer, woodstove w/blower). Everything all battened down and now all there is to do is wait.

Most all of the really large trees are on the South side of the house, so I was somewhat relived when the wind was predominantly coming from the North. The biggest gust I had was 41mph, but must realize that I am nestled within the trees, so my readings do not anywhere agree with what I was seeing at the tree tops. Unbelievable the span of their swaying without them coming down.

The wind is really howling, darkness makes it impossible to see what's happening outside and the only Real link to what's going on (TV is too repetitious and not covering what I need) is the Net, and it goes out at 10:15PM. Now it's just me and my weather station and TV.

For any Weather enthusiast, watching this storm approach with Weather Instrumentation is something else, my Davis Pro Weather Station was not compromised by the weather. To watch the Barometric pressure dropping at such a rate was amazing. The Eye (southern edge) pasted a little past 11:00PM. The lowest pressure I recorded was 28.285. Probably will never see the pressure anywhere near that low again.

OK, now the storm is passing, winds have died down, still dark as hell and haven't a clue as to what damage there might be outside, refill the generator, and watch TV. Seeing all the data from S. Jersey, I am now starting to realize that I'm soon going to be getting the wind from the South. All of that saturated ground with the largest trees south of me. I was sure that something was going to come crashing down. Couldn't stay up any longer and decided to let what was going to happen, happen. Waited for the winds to pick back up, they weren't, went to bed.

Morning came and was astonished that, other then a few semi large limbs down, NOTHING....Hooray!!! Even my stream, that was really gushing, did not tare up the banks very bad. Only effect was the lost of power. Tree across the road was cleared last night at 5:00PM, 10/30 but still without power. Guess it was more important to get the roads open for the opened schools on Wed.

Finally got power back today at 11:00AM. All in all, feel very fortunate, but also very sad for what the Jersey Shore and the City experienced. Being born and raised (to age 15) in S. Jersey, I have many, many fond memories of that whole coast line. Very, very sad.

This has been my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Ron

Comment

Power out for 30 hours, massive trees down in our area.

Other than that, just a massive clean up in our area.

Comment

Working...
            X