X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane SANDY

Getting ready here for a near direct hit from SANDY.

Luckily (for us) it looks like from the latest projected storm path that the center of the storm will pass north of us which means we will be on the weaker side of the storm. Yesterday it was projected to hit Delaware which would have been worse for us (and Delaware). Its still early as far as predicting where it will make landfall. NWS usually does not have high confidence in landfall predictions until 12 hours before, the storm can take off in any direction so it just an educated guess at this point.

as far as flooding (for us anyway), our home is on the top of a ridge at 120 ASL and we are 12 miles inland from Delaware Bay, so even last year when we got over 12 inches of rain in ;ess than 24 hours we got no water in the basement, so I think we will be OK on this one too but you never know.

[this image is pulled from the NWS site and updates each time an advisory is issued]

I am as ready as I can be I think. Got 10 gal of gas for the generator, moved all FMOs into the garage or shed or tied down anything that could become airborne. Checked all gutters and downspouts as we are being told to expect 8 to 10 inches of rain. Also did a quick inspection of roof for anything that might need attention before the storm. Extended downspouts an additional 5 feet from the foundation wall to help move the water away from the house. I do this with some 5 foot lengths of 4" PVC that I keep on hand for just such an occasion. All batteries for power tools (and flashlights) charged. Battery for generator charged and test run of generator yesterday. Stocked up on food to get us through until Thursday. Plenty of LP gas for BBQ in case we need it for cooking.

Before the storm hits, we will fill some containers with water for flushing and general use. We have drinking water for 5 days already. Even though we have the generator if the generator should fail the stored water will be our backup.

If you have Google Earth installed on your computer you can view the track of the storm using the url below.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gis/best_tra...best_track.kmz
    Last edited by Bob D.; 10-29-2012, 06:06 AM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Hurricane SANDY

yea, we didn't do any of that.... but I did buy a case of wine

Comment

Hopefully, based on the current track, your area will be spared. And also the Va Beach area where my daughter is.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      ---------
      ---------

Comment

this is what makes earthquakes much simpler.

we write about it after it hits

good luck. it's never too late to come west, marks bd dinner starts at 4

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

At 4? Which early bird special ya'll going for?

Comment

the place gets packed. with all the young ones, it's nice for everyone else to eat in peace.

there are no early bird specials. it's if you want a table or wait an hour for your beeper to go off.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Good luck to all in the path.

Glad to hear you are prepared Bob D. You folks get more than enough of these Atlantic-riding storms I think.

Up here in the Binghamton area all we have to worry about is the wind and the rain and hope that any trees that have the potential to cut the power lines, have already done so in the past year.

But, we've got plenty of drinking water and food. All the batteries are fully charged and so we simply wait and see.

Good luck to everyone,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                if it was easier to get the wife on a plane we would be out there more often. as it is the last time on a plane for her was our trip to Hawaii in 05

CWS; i wish you the best riding out the storm too. I was in Peeskill working for ConED during Floyd in '99. I remember driving the goat trail to cross the Bear Mt Bridge over the Hudson over to Highland Falls with over a foot of water flowing on the road. The HUMMER had no problem with the water but it I was worried about rocks from above getting washed loose and crashing down on us. We saw plenty of 12" and larger rocks laying on the roadway as we drove. They would difinately put a hurting on a all aluminum body vehicle like a HUMMER H1. So I know you can get your share of bad WX there too.
                Last edited by Bob D.; 10-28-2012, 11:56 AM.
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

rick.
                  You jinked us. We just had a 3.9 Earthquake centered HERE a few minutes ago.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i'll buy you a lottery ticket today. the stars are all aligned.

any other wishes for your genie

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

i'll buy you a lottery ticket today. the stars are all aligned.

any other wishes for your genie

rick.
                      Yes, make it a winning Lottery ticket.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I've been preparing for days, generator, plenty of gasoline, food, etc. One of my neighbors asked me to cut up a huge branch that was partly on the ground and partly hung up in another tree. I did that yesterday. Folks are driving as if a monster is chasing them, very wreckless. Stores are running low on supplies, a real panick scene! I expect to be without power for a few days, with plenty of trees and tree limbs blocking roadways. I have a couple neighbors who are well prepared like myself and I'm sure there are some who don't have a flashlight. My best to all in the path. Frank

Comment

I'm in the direct path, according to the pic above. yay. All the stuff is fastened down or put away. The wood stove is ready and the guns polished

i kinda enjoy the violent storms. If anything is damaged, that's what insurance is for. mmmm mmmm new tools
                          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

We are right smack dab in the path of this storm when it comes through Pa.

Yesterday I was installing a water softener in my home, and neighbors were knocking on my door to install back-up pumps.

Grocery stores were mobbed and school and businesses are off for 2 days here.

I'll be working tomorrow changing out 2 lug ell's for a steam unit : /

Comment

Brother in law has left Manhattan. Subways are supposed to be closing, could get really ugly there. I hope everyone is able to stay safe. Looks like tomorrow night it may be lights out for a while.

Flux, I think they are gonna need a bigger Pump!!
                              "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Working...
                              X