X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Yourself!

While my heart and prayers go out to all those who have suffered a loss from Sandy, I don't understand why more folks are not helping themselves? I just watched a crowd of twenty or so folks being interviewed, and they spoke of no shelters, being cold and so forth. A lot of the water has receeded and there must be a few guys who could put together a temporary shelter, out houses and camp fire to boil water and provide warmth. I know they are all entitled to and waiting for relief efforts such as The Red Cross, but why not do what you can to make your situation better? The homes may be wrecked but there is all sorts of lumber lying around and it beats sleeping in a cold car! I don't mean to insult anyone or make this whole tragic event seem trivial, I just think folks need to do for themselves. Frank

Re: Help Yourself!

Franki,

While I agree with you to a great extent, the simple fact is that most people don't have a clue as to how to take care of themselves in such conditions. Some are of course just too lazy, and in normal times can't even clean up the garbage in thier own yards or even manage the simplest of tasks; others though are just shocked by the situation and don't know where to begin.

I look at the news and see how important "cell phones" have become to people... they need a charge, don't know where to go to get one. That almost seems to be a main topic on the nightly coverage of the last two evenings.... everybody's *****'n because their cell phones either need a charge or aren't working!

Look at the lines of cars waiting to get gas, like they didn't know a storm was coming and they didn't think to gas-up before hand? And even before the storm, the rush to the store to buy simple stuff like water, bread, toilet paper that we all see when bad weather warnings are upon us. Even here in the Binghamton area, it was something of a joke. I decided to pick-up a rotissery chicken the afternoon before the storm, as we were both in the middle of painting and wanted a quick supper. There was hardly anyone in the local Walmart which was very unusual. A quick walk through and you could see that most isles were stripped. No bread, no water, can-goods pretty not quite depleted, but all the soup was gone. Made me wonder how many people had a non-electric can opener or means other than thier kitchen stoves to cook anything... I wonder how many even gave thought to that?

Society it seems is very, very fragile for so many who have no sense and no thoughts toward self-sufficiency at even the most essential levels.

But that said, I still have some things that I need to do here too. Long-term things like aternate heating and power beyond just a few days. I don't think the world is going to get better.

CWS

Comment

I also feel sorry for all of the folks who have lost what they have and mean no disrespect either. I saw more on the news of the "washed out board walk" than anything else, seems this was a really important thing, more so than than the personal loses.

Comment

The boardwalk thing strikes at the hearts of folks who both live in these areas and grew up visting them. They are in awe of the magnitude of destruction and saddened by the loss of a landmark.

CWS, I don't know what's going through the minds of these folks? Sure they are sort of in shock, but when help is not coming why not join together and take action? Plenty of those folks looked able bodied and it doesn't take much brains to divide up to gather canned goods, fuel, wood, pots and so forth. I have enough canned soup, tuna, and dry food to keep us going for weeks! I have six canisters of protein powder, spare medicine and containers to keep all these things dry if necessary. Why did these folks not heed the warnings? I understand they need support, need to rebuild their lives, but they also need to help themselves just a bit. I'm pretty sure what I would do.

Comment

I visited my sister in Michigan one year when I was 12 or so, there was a huge storm that blew through and took out many big trees, roofs, and of course the power for about a week. All the neighbors kind of banded together, during the day we cleaned up the place, cleared the roads of trees, put on several roofs and then at night somebody would clean out their freezer and have a giant cook out. It was kind of funny, a little ol' Tennessee hillbilly kid showed them city guys how to swing and ax and run a chain saw.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
            I visited my sister in Michigan one year when I was 12 or so, there was a huge storm that blew through and took out many big trees, roofs, and of course the power for about a week. All the neighbors kind of banded together, during the day we cleaned up the place, cleared the roads of trees, put on several roofs and then at night somebody would clean out their freezer and have a giant cook out. It was kind of funny, a little ol' Tennessee hillbilly kid showed them city guys how to swing and ax and run a chain saw.
            I think that's great! People coming together and helping one another instead of standing around either complaining or feeling defeated. Imagine how much all these folks could accomplish if they just discussed a game plan and got busy doing?

Comment

I dont feel sorry for anyone. well, maybe those that cant help themselves - invalids, animals, babies... BUT:

I'm a firm believer that if you choose to live in an area that has earthquakes, volcanoes, tornadoes, hurricanes, or snow then you should not complain about it...woe is me puuhhleeease! and on top of that, if you do choose to lo live in these areas and dont have some sort of disaster plan then you deserve everything you get.

that said, i still help when i can. i do kick those in the arse that deserve it.
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

i guess those people have never watched an episode of survivor.

many years ago i took a 4 day / 36 hour course in wilderness first aide. there are things that i learned that i have used in my adventure travel and there are things i forgot as i never needed to use it.

i would think the ones that could afford to get out of town, did and the ones that couldn't are the ones that are stuck to fend for themselves.

that's what's makes earthquakes nice. no real warning and everyone is on a level playing field. all i know is i will be the most popular neighbor. between all my generators and tools, we'll be better off than mad max

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I think a lot of it is Shock. I was in Oklahoma when that big F5 tornado came through. People just couldn't cope with it, and a lot of them were barely scraping by. I don't have much money and if a crazy storm hit here, I would survive, but it would be rough for a while. What if all your tools were covered in mud? Insurance companies don't just start handing out the checks either. It can take many months before people even see enough money to start over. If all I had to my name was a cell phone, and a couple hundred dollars, I would at least hope I could get a charge somewhere, but then again, I am like McGyver. It takes people like us plumbers to help the others. We have been doing this for Many Centuries. We fix Plumbing and protect the public. We maintain a living source (water) in piping and make it go places that no one can understand. Most people can't do it. We have to understand complex systems and we take it for granted. We fix things in 2 minutes that the average person spends 2 weeks on and still does it wrong. We are Super hero's. Not the Crack of everybody's butt JOKES. The Majority of us Care about what we do and the public. Our plumbing system is one of the things that separates us from other countries. I hope that plumbers close to the storm victims, help them restore. The places hit can rebuild, and it can be even better, but it takes men and women like us to show the masses that it can be done. One fitting at a time, One toilet, One faucet. In the Face of those in Desperation, it Takes INSPIRATION. To all my Friends and Brother Plumbers on the East coast. No one else can do it. Not the Government, not your neighbor, and not the guy working the plumbing aisle at home depot, BUT YOU. YOU CAN MAKE THIS BETTER.

Jay for President 2016.
                  "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

I think there are times regardless of how well prepared one is, you can be over welmed,
                    a few years ago, a F4 or 5 tornado hit a few farms, one of the horse trailers were rolled into a ball about 4 foot round, barbed wire fence was tore off the fences and rolled into balls of wire, trees were broke off at about 4 foot up, few if any buildings were standing and most of the equiptment was damaged, if not distroyed, the people whos places were not complaing but needed help,

the same with some of the fires, the degree of devistation is beyond the scope of prepairness,

Now what I see it looks like many were very ill prepaired, and the fore sight for storage of some fuel and food and water was very mininal,
                    and some is that not all were prepaired, or there preps were not up to the task, take the fuel it appears that few of the gas stations had back up generators for there pumps, thus the gas sets in the ground unable to be used, thus creating a chain reaction of additional problems,

regarless I hope they can get the place back to a form of normal soon, for all,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      The boardwalk thing strikes at the hearts of folks who both live in these areas and grew up visting them. They are in awe of the magnitude of destruction and saddened by the loss of a landmark.

CWS, I don't know what's going through the minds of these folks? Sure they are sort of in shock, but when help is not coming why not join together and take action? Plenty of those folks looked able bodied and it doesn't take much brains to divide up to gather canned goods, fuel, wood, pots and so forth. I have enough canned soup, tuna, and dry food to keep us going for weeks! I have six canisters of protein powder, spare medicine and containers to keep all these things dry if necessary. Why did these folks not heed the warnings? I understand they need support, need to rebuild their lives, but they also need to help themselves just a bit. I'm pretty sure what I would do.
                      We don't teach self sufficiency any more, either at home or in school. I'm speaking generally of course, I am sure there are some who do pass these important bits of knowledge on to their children. Lets see no shop class any more so most guys can't figure out which end of a hammer to hold let alone build a basic shelter. No one knows how to purify water or build a fire for heat or cooking without a LP gas grill. Most can't see the logic or can't aford to (at least that is what they will tell you) enough rations to se ethem through a week or two, but they have about $700+ worth of tatoos on them and enough junk metal hanging from every orifice to build a VW beetle. Nothing against ink but its not for me. And if someone else wants to do it that's fine, but I equate that to buying a lottey ticket, once the money is spent you have basically nothing that can help you survive. You can't eat a tat or trade it for a gallon of gasoline. Need to build some savings first and have your basics covered before you start blowing cash on ink and body chrome.

I have the hardest time getting my wife to replenish common household items before we are out. she will wait till the last paper towel is used it sems befoer she buys more. me, when I get them I buy a big bundle of 20 rolls and I want to buy more whn I get down to 10.
                      Last edited by Bob D.; 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        i guess those people have never watched an episode of survivor.

many years ago i took a 4 day / 36 hour course in wilderness first aide. there are things that i learned that i have used in my adventure travel and there are things i forgot as i never needed to use it.

i would think the ones that could afford to get out of town, did and the ones that couldn't are the ones that are stuck to fend for themselves.

that's what's makes earthquakes nice. no real warning and everyone is on a level playing field. all i know is i will be the most popular neighbor. between all my generators and tools, we'll be better off than mad max

rick.
                        well, maybe not entirely true Rick, if you live in a quake zone you know sooner or later you will get hit, so that should be all the warning one needs to do some prep. true you don't know where you will be at the moment it happens, but other than that you should have some general plans on where to go, what to do, how you will contact family, etc. thought out long ahead of time.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X