Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

If There Isn't A Law Against It Then There Should Be..

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If There Isn't A Law Against It Then There Should Be..

In the aftermath of Sandy I sure hope there is someone keeping an eye out for the price gougers! Gas stations, hardware stores, supply houses, contractors, etc should be warned now, price gouging will not be tolerated and when discovered will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Unfortunately, when disasters such as Sandy happen it brings out lowest of the low lifes and this is sad.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: If There Isn't A Law Against It Then There Should Be..

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
    In the aftermath of Sandy I sure hope there is someone keeping an eye out for the price gougers! Gas stations, hardware stores, supply houses, contractors, etc should be warned now, price gouging will not be tolerated and when discovered will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Unfortunately, when disasters such as Sandy happen it brings out lowest of the low lifes and this is sad.
    Please start with Chevron first !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Funny you should mention this subject... I was listening to an "economist" this morning and he was going on about the "private sector" and saying that the government should stay out of things like this disaster. He went on to say that if the private sector was handling these events there wouldn't be these long lines and gas shortages. His take was that the price should be allowed to rise to meet the market; in other words (actually his words) $24 a gallon shouldn't be out of line, if there is a severe shortage. That would eliminate long lines. Also, his thought was that "cash only" should be the prevailing transaction method. (I guess if people aren't smart enough to plan ahead for such events, then it is up to the "free market" private sector to teach them a lesson or two.)

Hey, it's all about free enterprise and capitalism. One is entitled to make a profit wherever one can, is that NOT true? Isn't that what our country is all about? Isn't that what we've been hearing pretty much from one side of the political debate we've been subjected to for the last several months?

CWS

Comment

CWS, i heard that too this morning on my way to work. And there are laws against price
        gouging, at least here in NJ there are, and one phone call will get the offender looked at ASAP.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I don't disagree with you at all. As a matter of fact, I get rather upset at any kind of price gouging. I watch one of the local restaurants in Corning gouge foreign tourist on a daily basis whenever the tour buses pull up. I can go into the Chinese Buffet and pay $10, and the tourist right behind me will get charged $20... I stopped going there

During the racing season (Watkins Glen), all of the local motels boast their prices at least three-fold. That of course seem perfectly acceptable, as it's the racing season, but personally I think it's gouging.

We get that kind of pricing a lot, all over the country.... "law of supply and demand" that say. Gasoline is the daily gouge that most all of us are familier with. They find a reason to cut the supply (maintenance, weather, political crisis in Bora Bora... whatever), the demand remains the same, but the price then goes up. It rarely comes back down to the same level.

Fortunately, I think most Americans are more understanding, especially in crisis' like "Sandy". There will always be the greedy of course. I remember "Agnes", back in 1972, there was a lot of "inflating" of prices across the twin tiers of NY and PA. "Supply and Demand"... shortage in materials and labor and lots of people took advantage and built themselves some great revenue. BUT, I really didn't see much in the way of "gouging"... except by a few profiteering "fly-by-nighters" who came into the area from out of town.

CWS

Comment

Working...
          X