Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non-Union Utility Crews from Alabama Turned Away From Helping NJ Sandy Victims

What I gathered from all this... Union guy basically says, f--- the customer, I care about me, its my work, I don't care how long it takes, or whom is without... I just care about me me me and my money... Yup, that sounds about right.

As much as I hate government intervention, this is where the gov. Needs to step in, tell that union to pound sand and that if any of them disrupt the rebuilding efforts they are looking at huge fines and jail time. This whole thing sickens me, its disgusting. Putting your sacred contract before your fellow suffering citizens is just not American...

Comment

Re: Non-Union Utility Crews from Alabama Turned Away From Helping NJ Sandy Victims

i have not read any of the links so my view on this is based solely on the fact that the union is not allowing the non union utility workers to come in and help in restoring the power to the ones in need.

i can see why i left the union after 15 years.

it would have to be something way off to make me feel differently. and i will eventually read the links.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The Union hatred is alive and well on the forum. I'm glad Rick will eventually get around to actually reading the links to see how accurate the reports were. I don't agree with standing in the way of rescue efforts by Union folks if that's what happened. I never said f the customer, but when it came to myself and my family, you'd better believe I was not going to accept unnecessarily unsafe conditions, or substandard wages and benefits. I don't believe anyone here who feels his life and work is of value would accept less whether or not they have Union representation. There is still a very strong need for Unions in my opinion, and we would all be better served to understand who deserves our hate. Tradespeople such as plumbers need to be licensed to satisfy code inspectors and hopefully insure the customer and others receive a high standard of workmanship. I'm positive licensed plumbers and other tradesmen would be very upset if the places they depended on for work were suddenly flooded with unlicensed workers, underpricing every job, and there was no intervention by the authorities. No one here who attacks Unions will see or admit to that scenario, but that is exactly what some of these Unions are trying to prevent. I respect the effort, and expense, and dedication to achieve and maintain your license. I wish you could do the same for the folks who take pride in their work, serve their community and provide for their families. Just because my work did not require a license, and I was one of tens of thousands of employees, does not mean my job should be any less secure. I continue to be disappointed by the lack of respect and compassion shown here by people who work hard and provide for their families. You have the nerve to be upset by insensitive, selfish behavior by some Union folks towards customers, but have no problem posting rude comments towards hardworking family people you have never met. When I was a NYTel Co lineman there were no outside contractors working in our areas. We had to stand by our work. When on strike, outside contractors were brought in and in many cases did substandard work. They had no vested interest beyond being paid and moving on. I'm probably talking to the wall, and won't open any bitter hearts and closed minds, but I had to express my thoughts. Good luck in your hatred, it is much easier than understanding the complex issues at stake. Frank
        Maybe this link will be of help, but if your mind is made up don't bother.
        http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/11/...denies_cl.html
        Last edited by Frankiarmz; 11-03-2012, 02:04 AM.

Comment

For those of you who won't bother to read the story at the link Frank provided, here's the lead in:
          HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Representatives with Huntsville Utilities and Joe Wheeler Cooperative,
          two area utilities mentioned in media reports claiming their crews were not allowed to help with
          storm aid in New Jersey because they were non-union, said this morning the story is untrue.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I'm still a little confused.

Confusion causes utility crew to return from recovery effort - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Right from Mark's link..."Bottom line, it appears now that Decatur Utilities wrongly assumed they would have to agree to the union contract before traveling to New Jersey to help with recovery efforts. The IBEW said in times of crisis, help is welcomed from union and non-union utility workers."

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                Right from Mark's link..."Bottom line, it appears now that Decatur Utilities wrongly assumed they would have to agree to the union contract before traveling to New Jersey to help with recovery efforts. The IBEW said in times of crisis, help is welcomed from union and non-union utility workers."
                Well, after a little more looking around, there is a lot of beating around the bush and political correctness on both sides.

Sure, a union can say they welcome all help. But if they are to place terms and conditions on non-union that feel unreasonable.....are they really welcoming them? This is done all the time by various entities and is not right in my opinion.

The guy from Alabama agrees they were not technically turned away. They were provided with a 31 page document that had to be signed saying they agreed to these terms. They didn't agree to them. So they went home. Others seem to have agreed with whatever it says and went to work there.

Should IBEW be requiring others that are trying to help in a national emergency to sign documents affiliated with the union before resolving the emergency? I'm inclined to say no but would have to review this mysterious "31 Page Document" for a fair assessment.

Comment

looks like a big pr spin on things.

there should have been no delays and no demands. just open arms and welcome to the crew.

if this was a fire, would they have been delayed in their efforts to help?

i think it's someone trying to cover their butt on a stupid decision made.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Both of my brothers and one of my son in laws are IBEW members working for LADWP. The 70 trucks and 120 crew members LADWP is sending would all be IBEW members.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

NBC is notorious for running a story before they have all the facts at hand.

Media matters blasted Fox new for running with it, but yet Media matters made no mention that it came from NBC themselves, and most other news outlets ran with it as well. As of last night, NBC 10 in Philadelphia still ran the story as WAFF in Huntsville altered their original story.

Because it came from Alabama, Media Matters took this as an opportunity to say this was a right wing conspiracy, when they were in fact 100% wrong, and looked stupid in the mean time.

I do believe there is "some" truth to this story, but unfortunately, I will never trust the main stream media to deliver that type of information to me or the sheep.

Comment

Why do I think that in the end the media will somehow blame all of this on Bush!
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                          Why do I think that in the end the media will somehow blame all of this on Bush!
                          Well, BD, I think GHW and GW got into an argument and with all the huffing and puffing they blew up the storm! Then Barbara threw water on them and hence the flood! Didn't you see it on TV?

Comment

Well all i know is that after our power co up here in Maine got all the lights on up here they had big convoys of trucks and workers heading south to help , that what its all about helping others union or not get the lights on .
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                            X