No announcement yet.

Non-Union Utility Crews from Alabama Turned Away From Helping NJ Sandy Victims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Union Utility Crews from Alabama Turned Away From Helping NJ Sandy Victims

Utility Crews Turned Away in Northeast | WKRG
    Utility Crews Turned Away in Northeast
    Non-union Alabama crews say storm help rejected

DECATUR, Ala. (AP) - Alabama utility crew workers say they've been turned away from helping repair storm-ravaged areas of New Jersey because they're not union members.

Decatur Utilities worker Derrick Moore tells WAFF-TV that the Alabama employees were told by crews in New Jersey that they can't work there because of the union issue. He said that left the Alabama workers frustrated.

The Huntsville television station reports that Alabama workers were in Roanoke, Va. -- watching and waiting -- although they had been called to help repair damage in Seaside Heights, N.J.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said Thursday that a dozen other states were sending utility crews to help restore power. The governor said the state's electric companies should use the influx of crews to get power turned on faster.
    http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/sta...on-relief-help
    [Report: Seaside Heights turns away non-union relief help Friday, 02 November 2012 10:33 .

BY BOB HOLT
    Seaside Heights was devastated by Hurricane Sandy, and many of their boardwalk rides landed in the ocean. But if reports are true, the town figures they’ll take care of matters themselves.

Volunteer utility teams from Alabama to help restore power were allegedly turned away from the area by New Jersey crews because they were not unionized.

According to waff.com in Huntsville, Decatur Utilities worker Derrick Moore said a crew of Decatur workers was told that they couldn’t work in Seaside Heights since their employees didn’t belong to a union.

Thousands of residents in that Jersey shore city are still without electricity. NBC 10 Philadelphia reports that Seaside Heights suffered about $1 billion in damages from the hurricane.

The Daily Caller reported that Alabama teams from Decatur and Huntsville went to Long Island instead. A crew from the Joe Wheeler Electric Membership Co-op that was reportedly turned away has gone home.

The most prevalent union for electric repair work in New Jersey is the International Brotherhood Of Electrical Workers, of the AFL-CIO.

Many parts of the New Jersey coast are expected to be without power for seven to ten more days.
    Last edited by BHD; 11-02-2012, 11:23 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: Non-Union Utility Crews from Alabama Turned Away From Helping NJ Sandy Victims

Shame on the unions !!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Re: Non-Union Utility Crews from Alabama Turned Away From Helping NJ Sandy Victims

I feel absolutely zero sorry for anybody that would turn away help in a time of need. The fine folks that are on this unions electric grid should throw one hell of a fit and have someones head served up on a platter. That is just d@mned how stupid the unions are. When you hear of stories like this makes you wonder how some people can even sleep at night. Hope there is not any riots or looting to where the national guard has to be called in, don't think they are union either!!

Comment

That is just unbelieveable! I can't think of a better example of a union that needs to be busted up. Greedy group that one.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I would hope that the governor would step in and clear that matter up quickly. But again, how much government "interference" in such matters should be allowed. I love it when we don't want government, but then decide that the government needs to be there to handle the offences that are taking place in its absense.

And, is this a State matter or a Federal one and who has made the decision that only "union" assistance will be allowed?

CWS

Comment

I have a simple solution. If the IBEW does not want non-union workers working on the lines. Just turn the electric off at all local & national IBEW officers houses & offices, do not let them use generators & don't turn it back on until a week after the last person has electric. That crew came to MD to help out & BGE only has 1,400 customers left with out power.

Comment

I don't know the story but it probably boils down to something in their contract with the utility. The IBEW is probably afraid that this would set a precedent that would undermine the contract. Just say for instance that a year from now there is a big T-storm and thousands are w/o power. Is it OK for the utility to call in non-union help to get the lights back on ASAP?

Or let's take this elsewhere...say Detroit or any other place where a product is built union. Say they are swamped with orders and can't keep up with demand. Can this 'emergency' (to the company) be used to justify bringing in additional help from outside the union that they have a contract with? It is not so much a union/non-union issue as it is one of law. There is a contract between two agreeing parties (they both signed the contract), and they both need to abide by the rules of that contract.

OK, here's another one. You're a plumbing contractor (union/non-union, doesn't matter). You've got loads of work and the GC says you're holding him up and he's gonna bring in someone else to 'help you out', but of course you're now losing part of your contract and along with it some of your profits. You were counting on that work to keep people working for you employed and to pay your bills, but now you will be lucky not to have to lay off some of your people who you really don't want to lose because you know they will be snapped up by someone else in a heart beat.

How do you like me now?

If I read right these were volunteer line crews who made the trip on their own w/o being invited by the UTILITY. Yes, the utility, not the IBEW, would make the decision as to who to bring in to help and they would be well aware of their obligations under the contract they signed. So if I show up on your doorstep tomorrow wanting to help you build that new house or do some maintenance around your factory are you gonna let me in? Do you even have a clue as to what level of training I have? Are you gonna turn me loose in your building and let me mess with your pipes or wires?

There are more than enough IBEW members in nearby states to help, and most of the utilities have standing MOUs with each other whereby they come to each others aide in times like these. They have in advance scrutinized each others training programs and made agreements on rates of pay, travel expenses, etc. They don't want someone showing up on their doorstep last minute who wants some outrageous rate that they had no warning of.
              "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
              John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Always pays to check some thing more before coming to a conclusion.

Nonunionized utility workers turned away in Jersey- MSN Money

Comment

You are kind of comparing apples to oranges there. Utilities are for the masses not just the elite. If your company can not keep up with the production of widgets then no big deal. Electric, water, sewer and gas is what keeps people warm, clean, healthy and fed, not some union/non-union made widget. The governor could care less, the lights and heat are on in the governors mansion with plenty of branch water and bourbon, fuel in the limo and even some ****ns to smoke.

As far as the plumbing contractor scenario, if you have that much work why are you laying men off in the first place?!?!

Too bad these volunteers could not be used, guess they can ride their mules back to Alabama and fire up the delco system so all of the share croppers can pull the string on the one light fixture in their slab shacks. .....................................sheez

Comment

So when a terrorist group attacks a part of this country, say like on 9-11, it's OK for volunteers to stream into that area and help clean up the mess. If Mother Nature on the other hand attacks the message is, "stay the hell home we don't want your help unless you join the union". A disaster is just that a disaster and any help that is offered should be welcomed with open arms. In a case such as this any analogy to another scenario just doesn't apply.
                    ================================================== ====
                    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

We are all Americans first!

Secondly a natural disaster just happened, and it shouldn't matter if these people were Union or not help was needed and it was there....see my point above.

This is why people hate Unions.

Comment

It looks like some here didn't read Bob's Plumbing's post. Another chance to distort the truth in an election year.

Read Bob link before you continue to blast people for what isn't fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                          It looks like some here didn't read Bob's Plumbing's post. Another chance to distort the truth in an election year.

Who is distorting the truth? WAFF in Hunstville Alabama (NBC affiliate) which broke this story...or someone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post

It seems like there is a lot of misinformation right now. If it will really be 10-more days to restore all of the power, how can anyone be sent home? Why did SoCal Edison just load 70-utility trucks with crews to match onto military-transport planes if they are not needed?

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I agree that we are all Americans first, and in a time of emergency such as this exceptions should be made to any rules or agreements that could hamper relief! Conditions are very bad for many people who have lost homes, are in the dark and without water or food. The weather is getting cold and there is a possibility of another powerful storm on wednesday.I wish everyone would work together. Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X