Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I need a little help

Hi my name is Robert,
    I was hoping some of you good folk could help me out. I'm from the Jersey shore and my in-laws have been displaced due to Hurricane Sandy. I purchased a 6800 generator with the electric for them. It ran today for about two hours then cut out. I got it started again and it ran for about 45 min then cut off again. I'm a little mechanically inclined but I can't figure this out. just prior to cutting off it seems to surge a bit then dies. I don't think it's getting enough fuel or air at that point. I took the air cleaner cover off and noticed a metal plate in front of the carburetor, does this need to be removed? We started using reg gas, but when this started we switched to 92 octane, thinking maybe it was bad gas. Please any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I need to get them back to some degree of normalcy.
    Thank You
    Robert

Re: Hi, I need a little help

Check the oil.

Comment

Robert, make sure the gas does not contain dirt, disconnect the fuel line before the carb and let it run into a container to make sure the shut off valve is working. Drain the carb bowl to insure there is no grit. Check the fuel filter. That metal plate might be your choke plate! Fresh gasoline just in case.

Comment

Make sure the gas cap vents are clear ! No air in No gas out
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Looked up the information on the Generator. It does have a low oil cut off. Use SAE 10W-30 is recommended. Always use a 4-stroke motor lubricant that meets or exceeds the requirements for API service classification SJ. It holds about 1.1 Quarts. There is also a fuel valve that is located below that gas tank. Make sure that it is on. Do not remove the Metal Plate. Also, don't operate indoors at all. Not even a Garage. It will kill you. Hope you already got it fixed. Good luck
          "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Start it back up then turn the choke off.

Comment

Thank You all for the responses. This unit was brand new and I followed the manufactures instructions in regards to the oil. I ran the unit for twenty minutes, shut it down and checked the oil, it was good. But I'll check it again. The more I think about it, I think the problem has to do with the removable control panel.
              Again thanks for all the responses. Gotta go clean more muck, I'll check back later.

Comment

Originally posted by rsj1 View Post
                Thank You all for the responses. This unit was brand new and I followed the manufactures instructions in regards to the oil. I ran the unit for twenty minutes, shut it down and checked the oil, it was good. But I'll check it again. The more I think about it, I think the problem has to do with the removable control panel.
                Again thanks for all the responses. Gotta go clean more muck, I'll check back later.
                Bless You N Loved ones
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks again for the help, but the problem seems to have something to do with the idle switch. We brought it back to Home Depot and had their service tech look at it. He checked the fuel lines, carb, oil, vents, etc. all were good. So the problem is somewhere in the electric system. The good news is that my parents got their power back, so I took the generator that they were using and gave it to my in-laws to use. As long as this next storm doesn't cause any additional damage... I'll get this 6800 fixed and all will be good.

Comment

Working...
                  X