X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Presidential Election

Like many on this forum I am disappointed that Mitt Romney did not defeat President Obama. We can assume many voters who benefit from entitlements backed the President, regardless of whether or not the economy can sustain the cost of these programs. Personally, I think the women's vote decided the outcome and specifically issues such as abortion and rape. I had a good discussion about the issues with my daughter who is in her second year of law school, a couple of months ago. She was adamant in her refusal to support the republican agenda, specifically because of their stance on abortion and rape. I explained my concerns about the future of our country under four more years of Obama, given what I believed was a failure on many fronts. Unfortunatley, there is no convincing most women of a greater threat than control over their bodies especially in the event of rape.

I don't want to argue these issues. I want our economy to improve, and I wish Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan were not so forthcomming on matters so important to women! I think if they stuck to the economy, I would not be writing this post. I don't know what else to say, I'm pretty sure there will be no compromise, no improvements on the serious matters facing our country and no real change.

Re: The Presidential Election

There can only be one winner and the people have spoken.

Comment

You're right, but that doesn't mean we got the best person for the job. I think most senior citizens voted out of fear of losing benefits and most young voters did not full understand the issues beyond the ones I mentioned. Let's see how the people speak as they continue to pay higher prices for fuel,and taxes to pay for obamacare. Do you really think President Obama will do now what he could not do in the last four years? I hope the people are right. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        Like many on this forum I am disappointed that Mitt Romney did not defeat President Obama. We can assume many voters who benefit from entitlements backed the President, regardless of whether or not the economy can sustain the cost of these programs. Personally, I think the women's vote decided the outcome and specifically issues such as abortion and rape. I had a good discussion about the issues with my daughter who is in her second year of law school, a couple of months ago. She was adamant in her refusal to support the republican agenda, specifically because of their stance on abortion and rape.
        even if roe vs wade was over turned, (and this would have to be a supreme court action not presidential), all that would happen is this issure would return to the state level where it was before, (and my guess is little would change), (it should have never became a federal issue in the first place) it is not in the Constitution, as a federal responsibility,

I thought the Vise presidental debate was a winner, Biden says he will not force his personal beliefs on people, (referring to the womens issues), but he will force his idea of taxes, and fees, and laws, and regulations, and intrusion of nearly any thing else, that is his personal beliefs on the America people,

I have more respect for some one that defends what they "belive" than some one who denies it for political gain,
        Last edited by BHD; 11-07-2012, 11:35 AM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

"I have more respect for some one that defends what they "belive" than some one who denies it for political gain, "
          Last edited by BHD; Today at 10:35 AM.

Well said, and yet when we are talking about the possible future of our country's stability I would make an exception. Women did not see beyond the fear and lies about electing Romeny and Ryan. No need to defend their beliefs if they simply refuse to discuus religious beliefs as too persoanl and not a factor in how they would legislate.

Comment

If you think the last four years were bad, watch what comes down the pike. He wont be running for re election now. I need to go apologize to my kids.
            26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              yet when we are talking about the possible future of our country's stability I would make an exception. Women did not see beyond the fear and lies about electing Romeny and Ryan. No need to defend their beliefs if they simply refuse to discuus religious beliefs as too persoanl and not a factor in how they would legislate.
              And there Franki is largely the problem. You seem to expect that a major sector of our society should put aside their concerns and their rights as human beings so that the country can be restructured for the good of the Republican party and those who believe that it is only for the enrichment of the priviledged few.

You mentioned "lies".... what "lies" were they? I don't think any Democrat had to say even the smallest of lies, as the Republicans pretty much set the agenda and showed ample example and statements regarding women's health and personal choice issues.

The better man here did win, and the people chose correctly. The question of course is whether we want a President who flips his "view" based on the audience he is addressing. Romney changed his stance so many times, one would think he might not be aware of any kind of communication technology advances past the 1850's! The one thing I can say about Mitt, is that he's everyone's man.... he'll tell any group of us, exactly what we want to here, even if it's the total opposite of where he was the day before.

And, if that wasn't so much the reason to vote for the one candidate with a steady point of view, then one might take into consideration the lies and deceit, and also the total lack of honesty by Romney and his personal investments, jobs issues, and overall policy points, as well as his inability to grasp even the simplest issues of economic arithmetic. It surprises me that he made it as far as he did. The disappointment perhaps is that so many people in this country bought into his "nothingness" campaign. Obviously we are a people with very little concept of history and much to much of a yearn for dramatization of false blame.

When one considers the very closeness of this race, and the falsehoods stated and then the many blatent attempts to deny voter rights, it makes me wonder how wide the margin would have been if the Republicans had been open and honest and in full support of every citizen's right to participate in a free election. Instead of pushing a "get out and vote" agenda for all, there was more than ample attempts to restrict the vote to only thier "people". Voter ID, restricted hours and times, closing inner city voting centers, putting up bill-boards and signs, having right-wing monitors, and other attempts to intimidate. Along with that was strangly failing voting machines, voting machines that mysteriosly were casting "Obama votes" to "Romney Votes [reported in Pennsylvania yesterday] and even one district where a Republican poll manager had somehow installed "software" that would alledgedly, "only help in tabulating the results".

Even in Ohio itself, the obstructionism was still coming to light late last night, when someone mentioned that the Ohio votes might be called into question.... but it seems the Republican-dominated state system had just recently passed a law which blocked any such "investigation" from occuring should the election be questioned in that state. Ahhh, it seems that the Republicans must of really thought that all their shenanigans were going to make it close, in THIER favor! So, they didn't want the Democrats to be able to challenge that.... it appears that backfired on them!)

But really, the bottom line here is the people have spoken. The majority does NOT agree with the agenda or the questions left open of the Romney/Ryan campaign. And in the immediate aftermath of that, the loosing party again pushes their devisiveness and bewilderment. They will not agree that they lost, they will not agree that the country is on the right path, they will not agree that there has been significant improvement in the last four years, and they will not recognize anything beyond their own narrow self-righteousness. As was stated some time ago, they will not let fact-finding dictate thier objectives. Until that changes, I do believe that the next four years are going to continue to be a struggle. But that is not the Obama administration's fault, it will be the fault of the right-wing obstructionist who do NOT want what is good for the country.

While I am pleased to see that Obama has won the election, I am concerned with how so many of my personal friends and acquaintenances were pro-Romney. And to everyone of them, they had absolutely NO learned reason for being so. Not a single one of them had a single validly TRUE reason for their mindset. Issue after issue could be proven wrong. Wrong mathematically, wrong historically, and wrong even on personal opinion which could never be verified on anything true.

It was everything from Obama taking away guns to Obama taking away welfare, to Obama stealing from Social Security to Obama selling out to China, to Obama scrapping Social Security and Medicare.... Hey, these are people who are good, and have been some of my closest friends for some time.... but where do people get this stuff and should I be concerned for them?

Hearing how "Romney is a great business man" and that's what we need, to "Hey Romney knows how to make jobs!" Fact is Romney was only a great "investor" and his business was hardly about hiring or about manufacturing or about creating new industry.... it was about buying and selling and, in his own words, "HARVESTING". While he might well be a "nice guy", that would only be to those in his "circle"... guys like him who buy off companies like my ex-employer, suck off it's capital, and then "harvest" my income for thier own bank accounts is NOT my friend.

Finally, it was really nice to see that most all of us on this forum stayed out of this political arguement over the last several weeks. (Who needs the heartburn!) I do think that many of us suffered through this period with some withdrawal though.

So here we are, divided as ever. After more than two years of obstuctionism, after a campaign of deceit, and after Millions of dollars in investments by the right-wing elitist, they were still not able to defeat "the people". Fortunately, most of us are still open-minded, educated, and free enough to know and to act on the behalf our communities and our families for the good of all; and for all of their money, influence peddling, and deceit, the right-wing is still not convinced that the Presidency of the United States of America is still NOT FOR SALE!

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 11-07-2012, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Romney Avoids Taxes via Loophole Cutting Mormon Donations - Bloomberg
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

CWS, I was in such a hurry to respond that I started typing into the loggin They all flip their views and promises. President Obama flipped on gay marriage, he promised a scalpel to the budget, a different washington and look what we got! He turned his back on the economy and did the same old dirty things to get his healthcare passed. The better man would have encouraged oil exploration and the building of pipelines and refineries. Maybe I'm not open minded enough because instead of voting for Obama again I actually changed my mind based on his results. I know I'm not educated enough because I think with a sixteen trillion dollar debt we can't afford healthcare or higher education for all. That's me, close minded and stupid. Let's see how much more debt gets racked up, how many more folks lose their homes and jobs. If I only had voted for Obama again, I could have been so much more of a man. Darn it.

Comment

"we can't afford healthcare or higher education for all. " Yep, just let them die.......... Oh, you have money? Well lets fix you up!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                      "we can't afford healthcare or higher education for all. " Yep, just let them die.......... Oh, you have money? Well lets fix you up!!
                      Kid, show me the money? Seriously, with sixteen trillions of debt exactly how do we pay for the healthcare for all, the higher education and other entitlements? Yes, in my opinion we have spent ourselves into a scenario where at some point the bill comes due and people will have to die! I include myself in all this doing without, because it may not affect you or I but down the road when the math does not add up saying yes does not make it all go away. If we had to spend within or monetary means and stop digging a bottomless ditch for the younger generation painful cuts would have to be made. If you had to choose between saving a few lives or having "All" die which would you do? Well, that's where I think we are headed. Watch those storm victim videos closely, piles of debris including big screen tvs, $40,000 suv's all over, but they did not plan ahead as some of us did. We as a society are over weight, over spend, spoiled, and expect the government which is broke to provide things it simply cannot. Once again please explain to me where the money comes from to pay for the healthcare and higher education for all the people who smoke, overeat, drink, do drugs and yes, just need very costly care and procedures? How much more can you take from taxpayers like myself who are retired, helping our kids pay for college and getting punished at the pumps and food stores?

When I was twenty years old, I was all for saving the environment, providing healthcare and higher education for all. Now I know we are broke, we are at war with a super power that does not play by our rules. While we argue green alternatives, China is polluting without a care in the world. Kid, I don't have money, I have a conscience, I understand there will be another downgrade, and a breaking point.

Comment

I was proud of my state of Arkansas doing there part for the betterment of the USA
                        But We couldn't do it alone

Comment

Obama's Tax Avoidance: Common Sense or Hypocrisy?

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                            And there Franki is largely the problem. You seem to expect that a major sector of our society should put aside their concerns and their rights as human beings so that the country can be restructured for the good of the Republican party and those who believe that it is only for the enrichment of the priviledged few.

You mentioned "lies".... what "lies" were they? I don't think any Democrat had to say even the smallest of lies, as the Republicans pretty much set the agenda and showed ample example and statements regarding women's health and personal choice issues.

The better man here did win, and the people chose correctly. The question of course is whether we want a President who flips his "view" based on the audience he is addressing. Romney changed his stance so many times, one would think he might not be aware of any kind of communication technology advances past the 1850's! The one thing I can say about Mitt, is that he's everyone's man.... he'll tell any group of us, exactly what we want to here, even if it's the total opposite of where he was the day before.

And, if that wasn't so much the reason to vote for the one candidate with a steady point of view, then one might take into consideration the lies and deceit, and also the total lack of honesty by Romney and his personal investments, jobs issues, and overall policy points, as well as his inability to grasp even the simplest issues of economic arithmetic. It surprises me that he made it as far as he did. The disappointment perhaps is that so many people in this country bought into his "nothingness" campaign. Obviously we are a people with very little concept of history and much to much of a yearn for dramatization of false blame.

When one considers the very closeness of this race, and the falsehoods stated and then the many blatent attempts to deny voter rights, it makes me wonder how wide the margin would have been if the Republicans had been open and honest and in full support of every citizen's right to participate in a free election. Instead of pushing a "get out and vote" agenda for all, there was more than ample attempts to restrict the vote to only thier "people". Voter ID, restricted hours and times, closing inner city voting centers, putting up bill-boards and signs, having right-wing monitors, and other attempts to intimidate. Along with that was strangly failing voting machines, voting machines that mysteriosly were casting "Obama votes" to "Romney Votes [reported in Pennsylvania yesterday] and even one district where a Republican poll manager had somehow installed "software" that would alledgedly, "only help in tabulating the results".

Even in Ohio itself, the obstructionism was still coming to light late last night, when someone mentioned that the Ohio votes might be called into question.... but it seems the Republican-dominated state system had just recently passed a law which blocked any such "investigation" from occuring should the election be questioned in that state. Ahhh, it seems that the Republicans must of really thought that all their shenanigans were going to make it close, in THIER favor! So, they didn't want the Democrats to be able to challenge that.... it appears that backfired on them!)

But really, the bottom line here is the people have spoken. The majority does NOT agree with the agenda or the questions left open of the Romney/Ryan campaign. And in the immediate aftermath of that, the loosing party again pushes their devisiveness and bewilderment. They will not agree that they lost, they will not agree that the country is on the right path, they will not agree that there has been significant improvement in the last four years, and they will not recognize anything beyond their own narrow self-righteousness. As was stated some time ago, they will not let fact-finding dictate thier objectives. Until that changes, I do believe that the next four years are going to continue to be a struggle. But that is not the Obama administration's fault, it will be the fault of the right-wing obstructionist who do NOT want what is good for the country.

While I am pleased to see that Obama has won the election, I am concerned with how so many of my personal friends and acquaintenances were pro-Romney. And to everyone of them, they had absolutely NO learned reason for being so. Not a single one of them had a single validly TRUE reason for their mindset. Issue after issue could be proven wrong. Wrong mathematically, wrong historically, and wrong even on personal opinion which could never be verified on anything true.

It was everything from Obama taking away guns to Obama taking away welfare, to Obama stealing from Social Security to Obama selling out to China, to Obama scrapping Social Security and Medicare.... Hey, these are people who are good, and have been some of my closest friends for some time.... but where do people get this stuff and should I be concerned for them?

Hearing how "Romney is a great business man" and that's what we need, to "Hey Romney knows how to make jobs!" Fact is Romney was only a great "investor" and his business was hardly about hiring or about manufacturing or about creating new industry.... it was about buying and selling and, in his own words, "HARVESTING". While he might well be a "nice guy", that would only be to those in his "circle"... guys like him who buy off companies like my ex-employer, suck off it's capital, and then "harvest" my income for thier own bank accounts is NOT my friend.

Finally, it was really nice to see that most all of us on this forum stayed out of this political arguement over the last several weeks. (Who needs the heartburn!) I do think that many of us suffered through this period with some withdrawal though.

So here we are, divided as ever. After more than two years of obstuctionism, after a campaign of deceit, and after Millions of dollars in investments by the right-wing elitist, they were still not able to defeat "the people". Fortunately, most of us are still open-minded, educated, and free enough to know and to act on the behalf our communities and our families for the good of all; and for all of their money, influence peddling, and deceit, the right-wing is still not convinced that the Presidency of the United States of America is still NOT FOR SALE!

CWS
                            You're right about one thing, I got major "heart burn" after reading that drivel.

That's 3 minutes of my life that I will never get back again.

Comment

While you did post this, my comment is really not directed at you Ace.

If anyone has an issue with a person legally using the tax code to decrease what taxes may be owed...then they are nothing more than an envious idiot trying to tear someone else down to make themselves feel better.

Comment

Working...
                              X