X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stihl ms 261 professional

Broke down today and bought a new saw, I am far from a professional, but just couldn't resist this saw a bit of an impulse buy. I had an old 023 stihl that's far to small and cut far more wood then my dad ever anticipated when he purchased it years ago. Anyways bought the new saw unexpectedly went into shop just to look and before I knew it I was loading it in my truck , off to wake up my tenant and start some slash piles up. Used the saw for about 4 hrs before running the half a liter tank out, couldn't believe the power and weight of this saw, could have gotten higher cc for less money but opted for the German made 261 I bought my dad a 271 two years ago and its a nice saw but this blows it out of the water. Checked out some reviews tonight when I got home and wasn't suprised to gear I'm not the only person that loves this saw.

Re: stihl ms 261 professional

For my money, any tool with the Stihl logo on it pretty much guarantees high quality. I own a BG-56CE Blower and a FS-56RC-E trimmer and both have seen a ton of use without a single hiccup.
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM. Reason: Correct My Third Grade Spelling Level
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

you got me all excited as i thought you were talking about a 12-14'' high speed cutoff saw good for anything from concrete to steel.

no, instead you purchased a chainsaw, good for nothing but wood

although i own a few chainsaws and they get used once in a blue moon, my concrete cutting chainsaw is the best of them all.

next time you're at the dealer, see what they want for a cutoff saw. then at least you could write it off for work

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        no, instead you purchased a chainsaw, good for nothing but wood
        Not so!
        Ice sculpture rocks!
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

i guess that also goes true for ice fishing

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            i guess that also goes true for ice fishing
            I wouldn't know about that... here in Georgia, 'ice fishing' implies that you shop in the frozen foods section.

Back in the 80's, I had a customer who sculpted ice for one of the hioty-toity hotels in Atlanta. The money he spent on specially made guide bars and carbide tipped saw chain was obscene. But then again, so was his compensation. Nice gig if you can get it.

Comment

wait till you replace a guide bar and chain on a concrete chainsaw. almost the cost of the bare saw

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Stihl was my dream saw for a long time until I read their warranty, if I remember correctly it was one month for a pro and 60 days for a regular consumer. My neighbor purchased one of their very small chainsaws a couple years ago. Unfortunatley it seized up on him and was out of warranty. These things happen, and I'm sure they are more rare than common place. If I was going to buy a middle to top of the line chainsaw, not sure if I would go with Stihl or Husqvarna? The fact that your saw is running well and I'm assuming starting easy says a lot. Another neighbor has a big Makita chainsaw and brand new it took patience and luck to get it to start. Best of luck you got a great saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Stihl was my dream saw for a long time until I read their warranty, if I remember correctly it was one month for a pro and 60 days for a regular consumer.
                  One year for personal (non-income producing), family and household purposes. 90 days commercial. Stihl also offers a promotion to double the warranty period for non-commercial buyers with the 'Ultra Limited Warranty'.

Comment

[QUOTE=Frankiarmz;385702]Stihl was my dream saw for a long time until I read their warranty, if I remember correctly it was one month for a pro and 60 days for a regular consumer. QUOTE]

They must have changed the warranty terrms since you neighbor made his purchase. Stihl Warranty
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

A year is plenty of time to weed out a defective product. I picked up a Stihl brochure a few years back and remember how poor the warranty was, but this is good news.

Comment

Thats a beautiful saw. I have had the MS260 for 7 years now and cut countless bush cord. I believe I got double the warrenty because I bought a 6 pack of Stihl 2 stroke oil but the saw has never broke. The beauty of these pro saws is that they are fairly cheap to fix, they are designed to be easily repaired. I remember the dealer telling me you can by a cheaper saw but you will pay me more in a few years when you need it rebuilt.

Comment

I love my Stihl chain saws, I have a little 009 and the 029 they both have cut a lot of wood for me, yes I know they are both old now according to most peoples thinking, bought the 029 in 93 and the 009 in 94, but they start on the second pull 97% of the time. and run good for me,
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I got a two year warrenty cause I bought a siix pack of mix oil. I never felt as comfertable with a husky I like the bottom end with the stihls the husky seem to be more top end, just preference thou.

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
                              I got a two year warrenty cause I bought a siix pack of mix oil. I never felt as comfertable with a husky I like the bottom end with the stihls the husky seem to be more top end, just preference thou.
                              me too. If you buy a 6 pack of stihl synthetic oil, your 1 year warranty turns into a 2 year warranty. Very worth the money, since you will need the oil anyways...

Comment

Working...
                              X