X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't post a reply ?

Hi Guys: I am new here. Due to the Hurricane Sandy last night I asked for help using my RD-8000 generator. I posted on the Electricians Forum under the title "HURRICANE SANDY HELP RD-8000". I received a few well appreciated and needed reply's. Today I tried to answer and ask a few more questions regarding generator grounding but was unable to post a reply. How can I contact an Administrator? Maybe being new each reply needs to be approved? My initial post went thru ok?

Still no power, water or sewer. Snow starting to melt away but need to hook up my RD-8000 generator with proper bonded vs floating ground???? Can you guys take a look at my post and answer if you can. Also the admin thing? A great site for me in the mist of an emergency.
    thanks Chriss

Re: Can't post a reply ?

Still looking for help! testing to see if this reply will go through.

Comment

It looks like to me that Dr Deere gave you the answer you need, or how to unbond the neutral and the ground,

no sure what else you want,

but like DR Deere said proceed with caution, (your other post)

I personally probably would not be that concerned about the bonding in the generator, and set it up with the interlock or transfer switch and use the proper power cord and receptacle designed for generator use,

(I am not exactly sure what the NEC says, and exactly what it is considered, a separably derived system or NON separably derived system), I have seen some confusion on this an there are some differences on how the NEC says they should be hooked up,
      Electrical Contractor: On Standby

http://ecmweb.com/content/unraveling...ral-conductors

personally I think you need to contact a qualified electrician in your area (that understands NEC in this area) and follow his advice or have him do the job, and put the liability on him, and his licence.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100....1.70CO3q-hTdg

http://www.google.com/search?num=100....1.fZ_DMs4DEAU
      Last edited by BHD; 11-11-2012, 08:51 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks BHD:
        I did want to respond to some of the information giving to me. I have purchased an Interlock but would rather have the GenerLink. My question is if the RD-8000 will be suitable thus the extra info needed such as floating ground. Just trying to use the generator as it was intended. My furnace doesn't seem to like a bonded ground. Maybe I can't get help here during the storm recovery. If I could post my reply you would see I am not asking to do any thing unsafe.????????????????? The question is why can't I reply? Is the site a guarded site, maybe I am buying the wrong tools all these years? Tempers and endurance are running out for us effected by the Hurricane Sandy. Thank you so, so , so much.

Comment

have no idea why you can not reply on the other post but it appears you can reply on this one,

I really doubt if the bond on the generator if going through the houses main panel will be a problem as it is at the start point, and after the panel as far as the furnace is concerned the power would or should be the same as if it was grid, (but from the generator).

my guess is that the furnace is bonded to the house system and by going power cord to the furnace, there was an unbalanced feed some how,
          I would also check the (polarity of the cord) with a three light tester, and see if it correct, and if you have a non contact tester, see that the hot is correct and the neutral is correct, (even if it is a new cord, it is possible some how it improperly manufactured check the post I made in https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t42152/ ( the problem with the furnace seems strange to me I would not think the bonded frame would make a difference, or should make a difference, because the panel in the house is bonded most likely with the neutral at that point, and if not it most likely is in the meter.

I do understand you feelings, the farm was out of power of over 30 days from an spring ice/snow storm, the first week we did not have a generator, but we got by, not fun, but did, since then were more set up to be power less, (my folks had grown up with OUT electricity and when they got it they got rid of all of the old methods of pre electricity, (all there Aladdin lamps they sold,, taken down the windmills, and put in electrical pumps, electric kitchen range, no back up water supply, (nearly had no heat), as the wood stove and cook stove had been replaced with electric,

I do have a gas furnace, but heat mostly with wood, put the windmills back up and repaired, have water storage that is gravity feed if needed, (the electrical is my back up now), have currently three generators, one large unit, the old unit and I bought a gas power welder that can put out 9000 watts), the two generators can either run on propane or gasoline, we can cook off the wood stove and when we replaced the kitchen stove we went in with one that can be lit by match if necessary including the oven, (no power if necessary),

no being with out power is no fun.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BDH:
            Thanks for your reply. I tried to post my same reply from the electrician area but it didn't take here either. Actually I was trying to thank the members who had replied to me.

At first when hooking up my furnace I left the house bare copper ground wire intact along with the generators ground coming from the extension cord. I had disconnected the hot and neutral from the furnace power switch and connected to the furnace wires directly. The generator does have functioning circuit breakers. This did not work as the furnace wanted to see the ground from the generator only??? As soon as I disconnect from the house service ground the furnace's brain quit flashing error lights and it fired up. I used my meter to check for back flow leaks at my turned off and locked service panel. No back flow all main breakers off and secured. I think the furnace must look at grounding like a GFCI.

My real concern is that Home Depot sold me a RIDGID generator that can't be used with a approved InterLock unless the generator is modified. I appreciate your response and links. They are helping me to understand the situation. I always thought that this was the real purpose of forums, that is to help. Thanks again, I appreciate your help and links. I am using an inverter and extra car batteries for my lap top and research is difficult to say the least. Chriss
            Last edited by CMHorst; 11-11-2012, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Yes, this generator is compatible with the 30 amp GenerLink. The statement of a "bonded" neutral, will just mean you don't ground stake the generator. The GenerLink will work with a bonded or floating neutral.

Thanks,

Becky Hamm Global Power Products / GenerLink 225 Arnold Road, Lawrenceville, GA 30044 770-736-8232 / fax 770-736-8231

Above is what I got from Generlink this morning concerning using a RD8000 with a Generlink transfer switch.

Call them if you have more questions, I'm at work.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob D:
                First thanks for the info. Not sure if you will get this as my reply's have been blocked for moderator approval, so far none have been posted.
                GenerLink was so good to call me back this morning. They told me they had your e-mail in hand as they thought at first I was you. My research does show it may not be correct to have a ground at both ends especially if using the Interlock Kit locking plate......... best to have a floating neutral with that kit, another story. Thank you Bob.

Comment

i posted your email to all of us, removed your personal info, on the original thread. hopefully the mods can figure out whats goin on.
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                  X