• Show
Clear All

Re: Darn Twinkie Union

Now.....should we all blame Obama?

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
      Heck, I'll gladly cast a stone! Instead of listening to the environmentalists, our President should have done everything in his power to not only prevent the rise in gasoline prices, but to actually lower them. Transportation costs would have dropped and our food and other store bought goods as well. Inflation would have dropped as folks could have more easily afforded to gas up and take either lower paying jobs or keep the jobs they had! I'm still mad as heck over cash for clunkers, good, road worthy and repairable vehicles destroyed. Insanity.

Comment

No you should blame those involved; big business and the unions were the two interested parties; the fed
        had nothing to do with these two getting backed into a corner, they just helped mediate a possible solution
        which one side does not agree to, so end of story.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Flux, that is not my wish, nor is it my wish that hardworking folks lose their jobs because they can't afford pay cuts and rising inflation. I do however wish you could see that perspective. Those folks can't shift their rising costs onto customers as can small business owners. A bad idea is a bad idea, and wheter it's card check or cutting pay while fuel costs double, I see no difference in the outcome. We should be joining forces to fight the causes of inflation so that folks can afford to work, live and raise a family without constantly trying to offset rising costs including those charged by small business owners dealing with their own financial crisis.
          Frank, why do you fail to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars wasted that the Union bosses use for campaigns? Why couldn't that money be used for the workers instead? I will never have sympathy until that changes, as the Union bosses are more at fault than their employers. Start there before you start the "cry me a river" stories about rising costs and the rest of your drivel.

I mean come on...you see what's going on. Own a business before you chastise one....seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            Frank, why do you fail to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars wasted that the Union bosses use for campaigns? Why couldn't that money be used for the workers instead? I will never have sympathy until that changes, as the Union bosses are more at fault than their employers. Start there before you start the "cry me a river" stories about rising costs and the rest of your drivel.

I mean come on...you see what's going on. Own a business before you chastise one....seriously.
            Flux, all that money spent by Unions to bribe, I mean make friends with legislators is done to compete against big business that is doing the same. I am not chastising the business, I am defending the plight of the worker. If accepting less pay for doing the same job is not okay for you then it's not okay for people who are not business owners. show some respect and compassion, think beyond your situtation if you have an imagination. The twinkie baker who won't accept a pay cut is no less important to his family than you are to yours. What I see going on and trust me I give it a lot of thought is sickening. Politicians who refuse to do what is right for America, and Americans who only think of themselves. We need the tradesmen, and the sanitation workers and everyone above and below and in between. When you start thinking you and your work is more important than the other guy's and that he should take the pay cut and be happy, you have lost your humanity. What's going on Flux is our economy falling like dominos, one industry, one group of workers at a time either lose their jobs altogether or give back so much that they in turn impact other workers in other sectors. Flux, you do know that when dominos start to fall there are none left standing? We need business to be strong, to be here and to employ workers with good pay and benefits. The President's agenda on green energy has failed in my opinion and so has his healthcare which we will pay for with new taxes. He does not have the right answers, he can't fix the budget by taxing the rich, and business here won't survive by pay cuts to the workforce. What I see is very complicated and very depressing. You don't want me to chastise business? Don't chastise working folks for trying to keep up with inflation as you yourself must do!
            Last edited by Frankiarmz; 11-17-2012, 12:58 AM.

Comment

This could turn into a real crisis.

What will all the weed heads consume coming out of laser light shows now?

Comment

I just ate another twinkie, gonna brush my teeth and go to sleep. Good night all.

Comment

Flux, all that money spent by Unions to bribe, I mean make friends with legislators is done to compete against big business that is doing the same. I am not chastising the business, I am defending the plight of the worker. If accepting less pay for doing the same job is not okay for you then it's not okay for people who are not business owners. show some respect and compassion, think beyond your situtation if you have an imagination. The twinkie baker who won't accept a pay cut is no less important to his family than you are to yours. What I see going on and trust me I give it a lot of thought is sickening. Politicians who refuse to do what is right for America, and Americans who only think of themselves. We need the tradesmen, and the sanitation workers and everyone above and below and in between. When you start thinking you and your work is more important than the other guy's and that he should take the pay cut and be happy, you have lost your humanity. What's going on Flux is our economy falling like dominos, one industry, one group of workers at a time either lose their jobs altogether or give back so much that they in turn impact other workers in other sectors. Flux, you do know that when dominos start to fall there are none left standing? We need business to be strong, to be here and to employ workers with good pay and benefits. The President's agenda on green energy has failed in my opinion and so has his healthcare which we will pay for with new taxes. He does not have the right answers, he can't fix the budget by taxing the rich, and business here won't survive by pay cuts to the workforce. What I see is very complicated and very depressing. You don't want me to chastise business? Don't chastise working folks for trying to keep up with inflation as you yourself must do!
                  You make a compelling argument Frank and I will give you that. I will admit that because my wife works in a Union, I see your side of the story...trust me. Even though it's a Union of only 200 employees in a major Pharmaceutical, I see what she goes through, but she adamantly disagrees with the whole Union thing, and is currently trying to get out of the Union into another position. I would be fine with Unions if Union Bosses were not part of the equation, and the cost of living was not spiraling out of control forcing companies to pay more for less.

The difference between you and I is..I was an employee at one time, and now I'm a business owner. I would never think about hiring an employee because of the mentality workers have today, as they don't truly understand the difference between a "benefit" of having a job, and don't having a job. You speak of greed, especially corporate, but you fail to acknowledge the greed from employees thinking they are entitled to the company's profits. I'm willing to bet Frank...if you owned a business, your thought process would be much different today. I might agree if I was never a business owner...my thought process might be different as well. A shame 18,500 workers today couldn't grasp that concept either.
                  Last edited by Flux; 11-17-2012, 03:00 AM.

Comment

This could turn into a real crisis.

What will all the weed heads consume coming out of laser light shows now?

true, just when it got legalized too (in some states).
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post

Whose campaigns do you refer to, theirs or the money the used from PACs to support their favorite candidate? And why single out union contributions? couldn't corporations afford to pay their employees more or lower prices if they didn't waste millions on supporting politicians who were in their pockets?? You think business is all holy and great and does no wrong and the worker is the devil? If everyone thought like you then the world would be full of sole proprietorships. there would be no GM or Hostess Baking or any other company that had more than the number of employees it could gather from the owners family.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

MR.FUDD, you are assuming there are other jobs to come and that those workers can afford to take the pay cut and still make ends meet.
                        What would you suggest a guy do when he can't pay for the gas to make his commute and still pay for food and other essentials? That 8% pay cut on top of gas and heating fuel that has doubled along with inflation across the board is more than a lot of folks can stand. That 100% pay cut "entitles" them to government assistance including food stamps. I still don't think folks are getting the big picture here! The economy is broken and may be beyond repair. Reduce the cost of essential commodities so folks can commute to work and feed their families, not everyone is making enough money to keep up with inflation. Those workers are not greedy, not lazy, just at the end of their rope. How many here could suffer a 8% reduction in income? Probably only those who are real well off, and maybe not them either.
                        Yes, the economy is broken, but we just can't give up. No as individuals we can't change right now the situation our counrty is in today, but we can change our own situation. Instead of complaing people need to put their boots on every morning and do everything they can do to make their life better. If all you do is wake up every morning and spend the whole day complaing how bad your life is you will never improve your life. Instead of asking what your country can do for you ask what you can do for you. Yes people can survive with a 8% pay cut. Sometimes you have to give up luxury items like smart phones and cable TV. I negotiate my pay with every sale & purchase I make. I do not have the same profit margins that I had 5 years ago. I started with nothing and I earned every dollar I ever made. I understood that while I might not make what I wanted on some jobs a dollar made is one dollar that I didn't have. If people would take the attitude of this song we might be a little better off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          You think business is all holy and great and does no wrong and the worker is the devil?
                          I believe in self reliance Bob, as I don't go around in life complaining all the time that I'm owed something.

That's the difference.

Comment

MR.FUDD & Flux, No, not everyone can afford a 8% pay cut on top of inflation, so we disagree. Self reliance is a great life ethic, but when you are out of options, and can't pay at the pump and still make ends meet, that is all it is. Like I said in an earlier post, we need eachother to make things work and that includes the bakers and lower end of the pay scale workers. You can't be certain they have enough meat left on the bone after the pay cuts and inflation take their toll. I don't want to give up on our economy, then I watch the news and listen to our legislators and think we are doomed. We are focusing on and demonizing the end product of a lot of bad decisions way up the food chain.
                            Outsourcing that turned thriving communities to ghost towns, gov't overspending and debt, entitlements and fraud, and inflation, they all pile up and the only people we can beat up on are the poor slobs still trying to get to work and make ends meet. Darn shame, and darn shame all those others things don't get fixed.

Comment

Frank, even the Teamsters thought the Bakers Union should have not striked.

News Updates | International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT)

Comment

Hostess Teamsters have already endured two previous rounds of concessions to help bolster the company, which is currently in its second bankruptcy.

What a mess! That article said the teamsters narrowly passed a vote not to strike which tells me close to half those folks thought it was an exercise in futility. I still think the problems go far beyond Unions and the solutions are far beyond anything the government, businesses and labor are willing to do. Sounds as if hostess was severely mismanaged, but in this messed up economy even well run businesses fail all too often. I see these pay cuts and concessions as bandaids on serious wounds. Cut the cost of gasoilne, heating oil and other essentials in half and just maybe folks can afford to work, conduct business and survive.We are not like europe where most people live and work close by, or where mass trasit is and option. We developed once rural areas for housing and people bought into the idea that commuting was a no brainer. My heating oil was around fifty cents a gallon twenty years ago and around a dollar fifty just four or so years ago. I can't afford $4 a gallon heaing oil wihtout cutting back on other expenses which in turn negatively imapct other businesses and workers. My poin is that the problem is far beyond workers accepting pay cuts, it will never be enough to gets things right again. Forget about the Unions and see the big picture of dysfunction and doom. Frank

Comment

Working...
                                X