X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darn Twinkie Union

If they 'cause my Twinkies to go away, there will be no forgiveness.

Hostess to liquidate if bakers' strike continues through Thursday - Nov. 14, 2012

Re: Darn Twinkie Union

Bob, sorry about the twinkies, but we have bigger fish to fry. I like twinkies, can eat a box a day if I brought them in the house. I stopped eating them a while back, too much chemicals and I started making my own treats like homemade brownies. Don't be too concerned if they stop making twinkies here, I'm sure the chinese bakeries are firing up to make a replacement. Now they may have more dangerous ingredients than the ones made in the USA, but who cares. Frank

Comment

America without Twinkies is just plain UnAmerican!
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

This would never happen with a Republican in the White House

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          This would never happen with a Republican in the White House

Comment

Just got back home from food shopping, ate one twinkie before dinner and three after.
            MMMMMMMMMMMMM good! I heard that even if hostess stops making them other bakery chains will produce them and other hostess treats. Fear not. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Just got back home from food shopping, ate one twinkie before dinner and three after.
              MMMMMMMMMMMMM good! I heard that even if hostess stops making them other bakery chains will produce them and other hostess treats. Fear not. Frank
              Fear Not Indeed. I think our neighbor to the South will step in.

Bimbo Bakeries USA - Our History

Comment

don't worry, there's always a ding dong to fall back on

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Aaaaannd......it's done.

Hostess assesses possible liquidation as two sides trade barbs - KansasCity.com

Comment

More unemployment. I wonder how the business manager of the militant local feels right about now. He called their bluff, except it wasn't a bluff.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                      More unemployment. I wonder how the business manager of the militant local feels right about now. He called their bluff, except it wasn't a bluff.
                      I wonder how those workers felt facing several years of pay cuts, higher prices at the pump and the same inflation the rest of us have to deal with? How many folks can keep their heads above the rising waters as their income is cut and costs go up? I think it reaches a point where bluffs are no longer bluffs on either side. How much income could any of you aford to lose before you say it just makes no sense to stay in business, there is no profit!!! We are seeing our economy failing as a result of fuel prices that are at least twice what some low wage earners can afford and rising inflation. Stop thinking in terms of your personal finances and consider the folks who work jobs at the lower end. They have to commute, pay rent or mortgage, buy food and have many of the same expenses. I don't blame hostess if their business model was failing, and I don't blame workers getting crushed from both ends, I blame the factors that lead to all of this.

There reaches a point where working longer hours, and second or third minimum wage jobs just don't cut it any more. A point at which truckers can't drive enough hours in a day or haul enough loads to break even. Stop making this about "militant" Union workers and open your eyes to the bigger picture. I wish you continued success in your own businesses, but there unless things change I feel there will come a time when all are hurt by our failing economy. Double the cost of gasoline, heating fuel and cut wages? Not gonna work!

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                        They showed them didnt they.
                        26+6=1

Comment

Who do you blame... and is it really a matter of blame or a matter of just stuborness?

Is the bakery loosing money... I haven't been able to find a true picture here? On one hand the ownership says it can't afford what the union is asking; and on the other hand, the union is saying that the company is profitable and that the stockholders are doing well and all they want is a fair piece of the pie (pun intended).

But, what does the baker gain by just going out of business? Okay, I'm not going to pay and I'm not going to bow to union demands. So, I walk away, lay off the workforce and take my personal profits. But what about the owner's liabilities here... they'll have several idle plants that are still subject to local taxes to the ownership and the ownership will no longer have any income. Is this one more time when the local taxpayers will have to pick up the tab? If so, that shouldn't be allowed.

My own exployer and many other industries across NY State have gone through this. We make good product, highly reputable product, for over a 100 years. We built product that built and protected America. Our tools were used to build the Panama Canal, Mt. Rushmore, Hoover Damn, mine gold and silver and iron. Make petroleum possible, and build and rebuilt highways and bridges and tunnels and skyscraper all across America. In WWI we made artillery shells and in WWII we made everything from tank parts to engines for Liberty Ships. In recent times, we built the pumps and the engines to drain the Great Salt Lakes and to get all that oil out of the sands of Alberta, Canada.

Our plant at one time was the largest of it's kind in the world and...... we were always profitable at doing our business. But all too often, just prior to the holiday season., the management saw fit to layoff workers to enhance the "numbers" and thus make themselves great bonuses. Never mind the hardship to the workers who had to skrimp on Christmas for their kids, or even perhaps to raid their colleges funds. The top exec's would have a fine time, new cars, maybe an update on their lake cottages, or that vacation to the islands. It became a fact of life during the 70's, 80's, and 90's, that most of the shop force needed to plan on unpaid "furloughs", as the management shuffled orders in order to make themselves look really good.

And in 2000, they begged and got $10 million from the State, for "enhance and growth" of thier three facilities and on that very same day, they layed off more than 140 older workers in violation of not only their promise to the state, but also in violation of the "Older Workers Protection Act". They kept the money, no body went to jail and once that managed to pull that off without repercussion, they then started moving product to China.... where they could make even great profit.

It's not about loosing money... it's about maximizing profits.. .It's about greed.

CWS

Comment

Comment

I think this is a classic example of how Unions put businesses out of business. If the teamsters made sacrifices there was no reason for the Bakers union to do the same thing and make a sacrifice. The got what what they deserved in the end! I wonder which business will be next that they destroy.

Comment

Working...
                              X