Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deals amongst tradesman, building a shop.

My grandfather passed away a few months ago, when i was a kid he always told me be a lawyer or doctor, if you dont like school be a plumber. I remember calling him to tell him i had stated a plumbing apprenticeship, in a deep scottish accent he replied "Sean my boy im very proud of you" when i first told him about my partner jess "who's 7 yrs older then me" my son "the older the fiddle the better the toon".
    Any how very sad to see him leave he joined the navy at thirteen he was hed communications officer at 17 did that for many years. It was a toss up between Australia and Canada, obviously he choose Canada. ended up working for RCA electronics for years untill he started his own company making Bugs and gps , walkie talkies and police equipment ect. Anyways he left me a little money he would have wanted me to do something productive with it so i started building a shop got the concrete in two weeks ago. One electric mixer me shoveling gravel and concrete one friend wheeling my dad and friend placing the concrete into the pads and piers. 2 yards later the pads and piers were done friend came up and backfilled with his kubota ìn exchange for plumbing trade. Bought 5 lifts about 7500 lineal feet of fir tongue and groove 1x6 for 400$ off a mill ive done work at purchased all the beams and posts and braces for the timbeframe structure for 2400$ all fir as well. I scored some bridge timbers off a modular they replaced last year three nine and a quarter by nineteen inch timbers twenty two feet long for my main perlons. the shops gone be 38x20, twelve foot ceilings and a full second floor office, bathroom wood stove ect. figure if i can get the frame and roof on for what he left me il be doing great. The power drop and finishing, plumbing ect i can tackle later, but so cool how much ive managed to get in exchange for work, with people ive known since i was a kid. Im going to use the tongue and groove for the interior instead of drywall its a little weathered but picked up a mastercraft thickness paner for 50$ with extra blades at a garage sale few weeks ago. Anyways ill get some photos as the project comes along. seanny

Re: Deals amongst tradesman, building a shop.

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
    My grandfather passed away a few months ago, when i was a kid he always told me be a lawyer or doctor, if you dont like school be a plumber. I remember calling him to tell him i had stated a plumbing apprenticeship, in a deep scottish accent he replied "Sean my boy im very proud of you" when i first told him about my partner jess "who's 7 yrs older then me" my son "the older the fiddle the better the toon".
    Any how very sad to see him leave he joined the navy at thirteen he was hed communications officer at 17 did that for many years. It was a toss up between Australia and Canada, obviously he choose Canada. ended up working for RCA electronics for years untill he started his own company making Bugs and gps , walkie talkies and police equipment ect. Anyways he left me a little money he would have wanted me to do something productive with it so i started building a shop got the concrete in two weeks ago. One electric mixer me shoveling gravel and concrete one friend wheeling my dad and friend placing the concrete into the pads and piers. 2 yards later the pads and piers were done friend came up and backfilled with his kubota ìn exchange for plumbing trade. Bought 5 lifts about 7500 lineal feet of fir tongue and groove 1x6 for 400$ off a mill ive done work at purchased all the beams and posts and braces for the timbeframe structure for 2400$ all fir as well. I scored some bridge timbers off a modular they replaced last year three nine and a quarter by nineteen inch timbers twenty two feet long for my main perlons. the shops gone be 38x20, twelve foot ceilings and a full second floor office, bathroom wood stove ect. figure if i can get the frame and roof on for what he left me il be doing great. The power drop and finishing, plumbing ect i can tackle later, but so cool how much ive managed to get in exchange for work, with people ive known since i was a kid. Im going to use the tongue and groove for the interior instead of drywall its a little weathered but picked up a mastercraft thickness paner for 50$ with extra blades at a garage sale few weeks ago. Anyways ill get some photos as the project comes along. seanny
    Wonderful, Your Grandpa is smiling in Heaven ! When days get tough, get on Your Knees and ask for His help. He won't let You down.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

a couple pics of where im at roof should be on next week, grandpa would be proud I hope... thanks Sean

Comment

Beautiful framing . Did You do all this ?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I wish I could say yes tool , but I'm a better plumber then I am framer no I hired my dad and an old family friend I helped a bit with the notching and raising the frame they did most of the rest well I'm working to help pay for the rest. The dormers are 14' wide 4/12 pitch the rest is a 12/12 the upstairs is 10' to the ridge downstairs is 10'6" to the bottom of the big beams "9.25" x18" its coming along thou ill post some more pics as it comes together.

Comment

Looks nice.

Comment

That Handsome Son of Yours ,will be at Your side in that beautiful shop, before You know it .
              I share My shop with My Son. He has way surpassed Me in cabinetmaking . Awesome CLUBHOUSE !

Comment

Figured I would show off my progress got the roof on just need to peice together a windows package "left overs and misorders from various customers and contractors" then I can carry on with framing and slab then the dreaded electrical. Anyways ill keep throwing photos on as I make progress.
                Attachment Attachment Attachment
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X