Job pricing in tough times.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Job pricing in tough times.

Frank, I never said I expected anyone to keep working at a loss. That's your words and opinions not mine.

Frank, no one is shackled to their employer, weather it's McDonalds or MicroSoft, if your pay cheque isn't covering the bills than it's time to evaluate your circumstances and either reduce spending (which may be hard given your average persons propensity for overspending and incurring more and more debt) or earn more money. If that means going somewhere else then so be it but the fact is the bakers union didn't just decide to go somewhere else for themselves, their decisions affected 12 000 others as well. That for me is the selfish part. (On a side note, how you extrapolated and switched out my remark of selfish (thinking of oneself regardless of others) lot of idiots (someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way) for "greedy (excessively desirous of acquiring or possessing, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves) bums (Lazy, incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person)" is beyond me.)

As it sits right now though, the bakers union isn't working at a loss anymore... in fact they aren't working at all. Frank do you seriously believe these people will be better off financially now that the company has closed? Do you seriously believe these people will find new jobs at the same rate as before, heck do you even think they will find a job that pays as much as the reduction they were offered?

With all due respect it is this archaic way of thinking where people feel they are entitled to keep earning a living doing the same old same old even if their job/trade/skills becomes redundant, over abundant or obsolete. What you don't seem to grasp is the fact that technology and industry change and if anyone skilled or unskilled thinks for one second they can go through their entire life punching the same clock like our parents or grandparents did than they are the people deluding themselves.

Your remark about my being knocked off my morale high horse. lol your a funny guy there Frank and I accept the fact you can decide to phrase it anyway you feel comfortable with but it doesn't change the fact it is what it is. You may not like the message so you feel it necessary to send a snide remark my way but it doesn't change the fact the economy is changing and we can't just hold onto the past because we feel entitled to it. Bottom line is we (skilled and unskilled labour) need to accept the fact it is changing and we need to adjust if we we want to make ends meet.

I'll leave the last comment open for you as I really don't want to get too much more involved in a heated debate where really at the end of the day, the out come doesn't change the world we live in but can cause hurt feelings so to speak. My tolerance for being offended is pretty high but in all sincerity Frank, I don't know you well enough to gauge how easily you may be offended when befronted with a difference of opinion so I ask that you take my comments with a grain of salt and realize my remarks are more in the realm of entertainment than anything vicious or insincere.

Comment

CW, thankyou for your kind words. As a teenager I recall seeing a movie called the "China Syndrome". Now this was a scary movie of sort but the modern version is scary in anotehr way. I refer to the China Syndrome as China taking over the world by dumping so much junk on the land that we wont be able to move. Governemnts have pandered to China, and dont take this as a racist slant or rant, and unleashed the dragon. china will eventually get to be a great manufacturer but not in the short term. They are still building and learning. Their Governemnt sunsidises heavily to get the products out there. We have never before been able to have 10 tvs in our house, and yes I know some people who have more than that too(too much BS for me to have more than one. Just watch the news and thats getting a bit ordinary too. The lure of cheap prices has risks associated which one must regularly remind the stupid H/O who thinks otherwise. I congratulate your Plumber, he is a real professional in my books.
      In another example we started doing this to the Water Corporations here. When we foiund the choke in their main we instructed the H/O to take our bill and seek re-imbursement as they insist that we must attend first to make a call as to who is responsible. Now they use hacks running around with plungers, which mind you we are told we are not allowed to use, and they pay these hacks $80 / call. So when we do the job properly with a Jetter from Billy of Sydney and hit them up for $300 + tax teh Water Boards crack it. now we carry cameras as well as up to date jetters and knowlege, we are insured and legitimate and yet they threatened to take us to court under some obscure regulation for instructing the owner as such. So they are raping and pilleging the poor home owner and they call us crooks too.

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanofsteel View Post
        Frank, I never said I expected anyone to keep working at a loss. That's your words and opinions not mine.

Frank, no one is shackled to their employer, weather it's McDonalds or MicroSoft, if your pay cheque isn't covering the bills than it's time to evaluate your circumstances and either reduce spending (which may be hard given your average persons propensity for overspending and incurring more and more debt) or earn more money. If that means going somewhere else then so be it but the fact is the bakers union didn't just decide to go somewhere else for themselves, their decisions affected 12 000 others as well. That for me is the selfish part. (On a side note, how you extrapolated and switched out my remark of selfish (thinking of oneself regardless of others) lot of idiots (someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way) for "greedy (excessively desirous of acquiring or possessing, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves) bums (Lazy, incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person)" is beyond me.)

As it sits right now though, the bakers union isn't working at a loss anymore... in fact they aren't working at all. Frank do you seriously believe these people will be better off financially now that the company has closed? Do you seriously believe these people will find new jobs at the same rate as before, heck do you even think they will find a job that pays as much as the reduction they were offered?

With all due respect it is this archaic way of thinking where people feel they are entitled to keep earning a living doing the same old same old even if their job/trade/skills becomes redundant, over abundant or obsolete. What you don't seem to grasp is the fact that technology and industry change and if anyone skilled or unskilled thinks for one second they can go through their entire life punching the same clock like our parents or grandparents did than they are the people deluding themselves.

Your remark about my being knocked off my morale high horse. lol your a funny guy there Frank and I accept the fact you can decide to phrase it anyway you feel comfortable with but it doesn't change the fact it is what it is. You may not like the message so you feel it necessary to send a snide remark my way but it doesn't change the fact the economy is changing and we can't just hold onto the past because we feel entitled to it. Bottom line is we (skilled and unskilled labour) need to accept the fact it is changing and we need to adjust if we we want to make ends meet.

I'll leave the last comment open for you as I really don't want to get too much more involved in a heated debate where really at the end of the day, the out come doesn't change the world we live in but can cause hurt feelings so to speak. My tolerance for being offended is pretty high but in all sincerity Frank, I don't know you well enough to gauge how easily you may be offended when befronted with a difference of opinion so I ask that you take my comments with a grain of salt and realize my remarks are more in the realm of entertainment than anything vicious or insincere.
        Thank you for the well written and thought out reply. I have a real high tolerance for taking criticism, but the whole situaion with the economy, and this matter right here has me upset. Sure no one had a gun to their heads, but we can't know for sure how bad off they would have been had they accepted another pay and benefits cut? I'm pretty sure with the high unemployment and outsourcing there are no better jobs for them or others facing unemployment, that doesn't mean they were better off than possibly working at a loss. Please read my response to BHD on the previous thread, it describes my thought on where I think we are headed. You have you opinons and perspective on things based on your life's experiences and I have mine. Right now I am very concerned for the future beyond these workers. My remarks to some of the things you said were out of frustration. I do wish you and everyone one here a safe and healthy holiday season. I just wish I was more hopeful for a good outcome for our economy. Frank

Comment

Working...
        X