X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lending tools

Sorry if this has been done befoer but I couldnt resist.
    "neither a borrower nor a lender be"
    This is a very old saying that I personally still havent learnt. Isnt it amazing how supposed "close friends" are so close that they basically steal without conscience. Amazing how we dont mind lending to save the cost and hassle of going and hiring tools. You know, one favour usually deserves another. The old addage of one day it will recipricate.
    I bet we all have stories similar.

I had an apprentice who was extremely well looked after. No bright light but knew what money was although not how to be smart with it(like most apprentices). I had two pairs of footprints, been with me since my first year. Now I only have one. Not allowed to accuse but.................!!!!

Then there is a Leica Disto. Cost around $600+ when I first bought it. So I do the right thing and lend it to someone close to help them out. They like-a it more than me because they still have it and deny borrowing it.

So befoer you call me stupid or other Ialready feel that anyway. However, in line with most here, I think the heart spoke before the mind and common sense. That unfortunate situation being compassionate.

Re: Lending tools

"I had an apprentice who was extremely well looked after. No bright light but knew what money was although not how to be smart with it(like most apprentices). I had two pairs of footprints, been with me since my first year. Now I only have one. Not allowed to accuse but.................!!!!"

must be an australian thing. please explain as i'm thinking some kind of boot

do like the rental yards and get a refundable deposit on the tools you loan out. a credit card imprint will work too.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I never lend tools anymore...too much liability and it's expensive!!!

Yep, if someone who borrowed your tool and injures himself, he may actually have the
      nerve to sue you!

When I did lend tools and "if" returned they were abused and or damaged and I had to repair
      or replace them at my expense.

If someone wants to borrow a power tool from me today, either I go with the tool to supervise its use,
      or I tell the person sorry I don't have it or it's not available at this time.

There are tool rental stores all around that offer all sorts of tools...I'm not the neighborhood hardware/tool rental store!

A homeowner should at least have a drill, a hammer, some screwdrivers etc.....
      Even those that should not be allowed to use tools as they are dangerous have tools

" uh..hey buddy neighbor, I'm building a deck ....can I uh..borrow yer table saw, and nail gun, and uh air compressor thing?"

Cactus Man

Comment

Since the start of Propress and Pex I occasionally get asked to lend the tools. No way will I do it, not even for family. If I want to do a favor I'll do it myself but I won't allow others to use these expensive tools. Also for cable machines, no way. Talk about a disaster waiting to happen.

Comment

You know, when I was just a kid of twelve I had the good fortune of learning a valuable lesson. I wanted to go to the movies with a bunch of the neighbor guys. One of my closest friends didn't have the 85-cents, so I lent him a Dollar. That was about the end of the friendship. He stopped coming around and he started avoiding me. My Dad asked me what was with Bob, and I told him.

My Dad told me that was MY fault. You wanted him to go to the movies with you guys, you should have just "been a friend" and paid for it. You don't lend money to friends, nor do you lend anything to friends. Money and other stuff (but especially money), separates us in character. If they need something you help them out and don't expect a damn thing in return. (My Dad was tough!)

On rare occasion I've forgotten that lesson, but only to have it come back as a harsh reminder of its truth. I lent a friend my belt sander a few years ago. I hardly ever used it anyway. But Joe asked if I had one and I lent it too him with a half-dozen new belts, just in case. He also borrowed my shop vac. Hey, what the he!!, he's a good guy. Problem was that six months later when I finally went over to pick them up, the belt sander was clogged with plaster dust, no belts, and the backer-plate was so rusted that I had to order a new one. The vac was full of mucky water and the filter was rotted to pieces.

Should we dispose of such friendships, and consider the price of the tool or the sum of the "loan" as the price of friendship, I think it's a lot easier to never loan anything. It's much easier to just ask what you need and then go over and help out... that way you can take your own tools and bring them back with you.

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 11-18-2012, 02:53 PM.

Comment

The lending of tools, rarely ends well. The few times I have borrowed something I treated it as if it was my own, returned it cleaner than when I got it and if it used a sanding belt or blade of some kind, a new one was included as a smal thank you to the lender! I don't lend out tools anymore, too many unskilled or just plain rude, inconsiderate people out there! I have neighbors who are really wealthy but don't own a snowblower or have a service. They look at me clearing my driveway as if I should add them to my list, really makes me mad! I might extend myself as a one time courtesy, but tell them my machine and I are old, please make the investment. Frank

Comment

I never lend anything out that I would ever expect back.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                " I had two pairs of footprints, been with me since my first year. Now I only have one. Not allowed to accuse but.................!!!!"

must be an australian thing. please explain as i'm thinking some kind of boot

rick.
                his apprentice followed exactly in his footsteps, or very close to him, in the trade/life/line of work
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I had two pairs of footprints

I read this as he had two people following in his footsteps...i.e....apprentices.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It's much easier to just ask what you need and then go over and help out...
                    that way you can take your own tools and bring them back with you.
                    True. I have a couple trailers of various types (dump, equipment hauler, utility). I have gotten calls from friends and relatives wanting to borrow them to move a project car they bought; haul a couple yards of mulch or a load of lumber; move a small farm tractor, golf cart, or lawn mower; whatever.

I have never loaned a trailer out, and just to be safe I keep a coupler locking device on them so that my friends can't help themselves when I'm not home. Those things won't stop someone determined to steal a trailer, but they will make honest people pause and think about what they are doing, and hence maybe not take what is not theirs without permission.

Someone asks about using a trailer, I ask them what they want to move and how far. If I have the time and/or my equipment is up to the task then I offer to move it for them no charge except maybe cover the cost of fuel if its over 50 miles round trip. If they don't want that then they can go rent a trailer on their own. I worry about their ability to handle a trailer and that their truck is rated for what they want to haul too. I don't want my trailer involved in an accident or damaged so I'd rather haul it myself than risk it or our friendship. That way there is no one to blame but me.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Iv loaned out my flat tape way more than i ever used it
                      it always comes back Nobody wants it

Comment

THE ESKIMOS LENDING WAYS !! The Eskimo say ' Every time I lend out My Kayak , It come back with 2 HOLES . My Harpoon, dull , But My Wife come back, BETTER THAN EVER !!! "
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I don't loan things out and I hate to borrow expensive tools in fear of something breaking. I just go out and rent (single use items) or just buy the damn thing!
                          WoodWorking Talk at - SAW DUST FORUMS

Comment

Working...
                          X