Unwanted guest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwanted guest

In the past we have hashed over how to deal with moles, and came up with some entertaining solutions.

It looks like we have a new neighbor that will ruin the neighborhood.
    He's mostly black and when I first saw hihim Ihought it was one of the feral cats that roam the area, but I got a good look at him this morning on my way out the door heading for work and its not a cat.

It's a skunk, and it looks like he might have taken up residence or be looking to reside under our deck.

The deck is low to the ground, less than 12" to the bottom of the framing, and the deck is big, about 26 x 40, so there is plenty of room under there to build a nest.

I've had groundhogs try to make a home under there and we got rid of them before they set up shop, but I think the skunk has already moved in. Tonight when I got home I saw him again, but he looked slightly different. Smaller, and the coloring was a little different. I'm thinking it might be his other half, and we have a pair nesting under there.

I'm not in an area where I can use a gun to rid us of them for a couple reasons, so I have to find another way to do them in or move them on. I was thinking of poison but the neighbor's 2 cats and our cat both are outside at times so that's not a good option, and the other neighbors dog wanders into the yard a couple times a week chasing the cat or just to say hello to me if he happens to see me when I get home in the afternoon. I think I might have actually seen him one morning last week when I left for work. I thought it was 2 cats but thinking about it now I think it might have been either both skunks or a skunk and a cat. When I leave the house at 5am its still dark so not easy to tell them apart. Strangely I do not smell him. most times when a skunk has wandered through the yard they leave a trail of the wonderful skunk scent, not so with this one.

I don't think a trap is a good option because who is going to get near enough to pick it up and I don't want him spraying the bed of my pickup when I haul him off to the countryside and how do you release him from the trap anyway. The traps I have seen do not open very easily and I have not figured a way to do it remotely.

What are some possible solutions?
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Re: Unwanted guest

I got a one pump pellet gun that hits hard
    No skunks here

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
      I got a one pump pellet gun that hits hard
      No skunks here
      i was thinking of that, don't own one at present but I may soon.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I'll also go with the pellet rifle, but it might not alleviate them letting go on you. I have a Crosman 1200, variable pump that I received a decade or so ago (funny story for another time). I believe it's about 700-800 fps, with a .177 pellet. I took out a pretty good sized racoon with it a couple of years ago, one shot to the head at about 30 ft. (Firearm discharge isn't allowed here in the village.)

But, it took it a couple of minutes to die, and it crawled about 12 ft.... I imagine that would be enough for a skunk to leave you a reminder. So, do you know anybody that's good with a bow?

CWS

Comment

Perhaps calling your local animal control or exterminator may be a less stinky approach to
          eliminating your problem

Cactus Man

Comment

Had a skunk going under the cabin a while back looking for a place to spend the winter. Set a 330 Conibear at the entrance, instant death, no spray, skunk all gone. This one isn't mine but you get the idea:

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/atta...9900-skunk.jpg

Comment

I do not know what your deck edge is made of make a one way door may work, if there are off spring under the deck you do not want them dieing under there and as they decompose they release there perfume,

the way I have got them out from under the house, was to use a live trap, and that way if the wrong critter gets caught you have not hurt any thing, take a old blanket and hold up in front of you near the trap with the critter in it, and then cover the trap you can then pick it up and carry it,
              (In our state you can not relocate that kind of animal),
              I just sat the trap in a tank of water and in just a few seconds it is permanently asleep, we had 6 of the black and white critters under the house,

my experience is if you shoot them they will release there perfume, regardless of the type of tool you use to shoot them with.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

my buddy steve had 1 die under his deck and it stunk. he had to go get it out.

my 1200fps single cock pellet air rifle will go through 3/4'' plywood.

years ago i had some pipe stored on a rack. i saw a rat jump up into the pipe and grabbed my mag light and pellet rifle. 1 shot and it came running down the pipe at me dropped my $100 rechargeable mag light and the critter fell out of the pipe to his death. i though, how could i miss inside the pipe i didn't. the critter was dead and a through and through including the redwood fence on the other side.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Use a skunk trap. It is basically a pc. of 6" pvc pipe closed on one end & a trap door on the other end. A skunk can't spray if can't lift it's tail. Don't shoot them it will skink very bad for about a week. After I catch them I have rope tied to the trap , I throw it in the creek & I wait 1 day before I pull it out. Then I just throw the skunk in the creek ( hey the crayfish have to eat too). Skunks breed like mice, so it is important to get rid of them fast. If you have any dogs I would go to the pet store & get some de-skunk & a heavy scented dog hair conditioner. If your dog gets skunked it will take 4-8 baths with the de-skunk & 2-3 washings with the conditioner. The conditioner helps mask the the little bit of smell that is left & moisturizes their skin, because all those washings with the de-skunk dries their skin out. Also, if you have de-skunk your dog wear something you can throw out, because it will still too when you are done. If the dog gets in the house use scented candles & buckets of charcoal. By the way tomato juice does not work well for de-skunking a dog.

Comment

Hava heart trap will work. Put blanket over trap when you set it up so you dont have to when there is a skunk in it. I would also move to a place where I could use a gun
                    26+6=1

Comment

Working...
                    X