Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Politics: Elections Effects?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Politics: Elections Effects?

    Questions about recent elections. This can quickly turn into arguments with and without merit.

    Not looking for that.

    What I do want to know is:

    How will recent elections directly affect you? What policies will benefit you or cost you? Taxes? Healthcare?

    Just trying to stay informed.

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Re: Politics: Elections Effects?

    Here we go!
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Politics: Elections Effects?

      I'm not one to start trouble so I'll speak for myself I believe rising inflation and other costs to business has resulted in my former employer (verizon) having to charge me something if I want to keep my current healthcare plan. The cost is minimal but it reflects a declining economy in my opinion. Obamacare will also cost me although I'm not sure how much, the supreme court ruled it a "tax". I don't wish to sound mean, but obamacare may be of no cost to some but it must still be paid for somehow! I believe had Romney won, the price of gasoline and heating fuel would have slowly come done because he would have pushed to have more oil exploration, approved the pipeline, and been open to other tangible options that reduce our costs at the pump. I think in general there would have been a greater chance of inflation coming down under Romney and that would help lower my costs at the stores including food! I have no reason to believe my property value will rise under President Obama, that also directly affects me. Let's ask this question every six or so months to see whether or not any of those things change for the better. Frank

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Politics: Elections Effects?

        Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        I'm not one to start trouble so I'll speak for myself I believe rising inflation and other costs to business has resulted in my former employer (verizon) having to charge me something if I want to keep my current healthcare plan. The cost is minimal but it reflects a declining economy in my opinion. Obamacare will also cost me although I'm not sure how much, the supreme court ruled it a "tax". I don't wish to sound mean, but obamacare may be of no cost to some but it must still be paid for somehow! I believe had Romney won, the price of gasoline and heating fuel would have slowly come done because he would have pushed to have more oil exploration, approved the pipeline, and been open to other tangible options that reduce our costs at the pump. I think in general there would have been a greater chance of inflation coming down under Romney and that would help lower my costs at the stores including food! I have no reason to believe my property value will rise under President Obama, that also directly affects me. Let's ask this question every six or so months to see whether or not any of those things change for the better. Frank
        Thanks. Each person should speak for themselves. Why? Because what might affect you positively or negatively might affect me in an opposite way.

        Of course, sometimes they'll be the same, but it would be common and correct for them to be different as well. To abridge your post I get:

        Possible healthcare cost increases from former employers.
        Costs to you in "Tax" form to address "Obama Care".
        Inflation that is higher than it should be.
        Decreased property values.

        Thanks.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Politics: Elections Effects?

          Business wise, this question is extremely easy to answer, as the days of toilet and faucet repairs have pretty much been non-existent over the last 4 years. Consumers are simply doing the work themselves to save money, and over the last 7-8 months, we have seen an increase in "tire kickers" calling. Our call volume has dropped significantly, and I'm lucky if I have 3 service calls a day. Thankfully some bigger jobs have come through, but the money and service side of things just isn't there right now. This business has been around for 40 years, and we have weathered every economic storm that came down the pike, but the effects of Obamacare could change all of that. Locally they are already talking of tax hikes because of the irresponsibility of our politicians, schools, and someone needs to pay for all of that as well.

          Of the 4 years with the dictator at the helm, we had 2 excellent months, and it happened to be the beginning of this year. Other than that, our business is no where near were it should be over the last 4 years.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Politics: Elections Effects?

            YEP Peeeeeeeee

            Tony

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Politics: Elections Effects?

              Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
              Questions about recent elections. This can quickly turn into arguments with and without merit.

              Not looking for that.

              What I do want to know is:

              How will recent elections directly affect you? What policies will benefit you or cost you? Taxes? Healthcare?

              Just trying to stay informed.

              Thanks.
              It affect me (and others) by the continued devaluation of the US Dollar. (Gov't printing money)

              It affects me by loosing some of our basic freedoms (like US citizens being arrested and held indefinitely without being able to defend yourself!(Google or youtube; Obama signs NDAA into law)

              Obamacare and other gov't spending will ultimately bankrupt the worlds economy.

              I feel bad for the tax burden my kids/grandkids will pay.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Politics: Elections Effects?

                The Who said it best:

                We'll be fighting in the street, with out children at our feet,
                and the morals that we worship will be gone.

                Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

                Looks like we got fooled again.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Politics: Elections Effects?

                  I'm curious as to if any of you are married and don't have kids and if elections such as this give you pause on the kid front? I'll be honest, I'm not to enthused about having a kid in this political and economic climate. The wife and I are on the fence, being married and going on 8 years together and I can honestly say I am not sure I want a kid anymore with the way things are going. We can't afford day care and sure as hell cant afford for one of us to be home. Our entire plan of remodeling this house and selling and walking away 5 years after we bought it completely collapsed and now am stuck holding a home that is 2/3s of what the mortgage is with no way to sell it. But I'm a man of my word, as I think integrity is important so I'll continue to pay for it. Fuel costs have dug deeply into my profits and this President for damn sure doesnt care a damn about it, he even has said higher fuel prices will help the cause of hindering "climate change". His tax increases will hit my big buck clients... really looking forward to that drying up... After the last election I was dismayed, but figured things would eventually improve. After this latest election, I am terrified, our country voted back into office Santa Claus in Chief for no other reason than "he is government, and he is hear to help". Get out of my life, get out of my pocket book and get out of my way, I don't need a mommy and daddy holding my hand anymore, I'm almost 35 for goodness sakes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Politics: Elections Effects?

                    Well let's see....

                    utility costs have gone up and plan to increase more in 2013. I estimate up about $750.00-$1200.00
                    This includes water, gas, electricity, trash pick up, telephone, internet

                    food costs have increased precipitously, a gallon of milk is at about $3.50; a year ago it was $1.79.
                    Fresh produce, meat, have increased, cereal and other packaged foods including canned have decreased in size
                    and increased in cost. I now experience walking out of a grocery store spending over $250.00 which used to be
                    around $160.00...This does not include steak!!! no kids here!

                    Beer costs more!!!!!

                    pet food costs have tripled

                    fuel [gas] costs have increased..although it does decrease a few pennies now and then, and then
                    increases 5 cents plus. We go up and down from a low of $3.45 to almost $4.00 , diesel has been $3.90-$4.25

                    Federal, city, state, county sales taxes have increased without stopping...right now with some purchases
                    sales tax can almost hit 12% payroll and federal taxes have gone up a lot!

                    property taxes have increased by about $600.00

                    credit card interest is at an all time high to where if you have a card at 12%
                    you feel lucky! I have seen cards over 24%!!!!!

                    auto insurance, health insurance, home owners insurance have all increased

                    Pharmacy costs have gone up

                    rudeness, tempers, attitudes, selfishness, greed, fear, hate, have all gone up

                    compassion, charity, kindness, respect, honor, integrity, pride, motivation have all gone down

                    Oh, our income has decreased significantly..but at least we have an income!

                    savings interest has gone down to 0.02%!! It's almost to where the banks and credit unions
                    will figure another way to charge us to hold our money, what little there is....
                    I remember my folks getting toasters from banks and living off the interest earned!

                    But there is some good news......

                    All of my Ridgid 18V batteries and tools work perfectly and are reliable!

                    Cactus Man
                    Last edited by cactusman; 11-26-2012, 11:41 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Politics: Elections Effects?

                      Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                      I'm curious as to if any of you are married and don't have kids and if elections such as this give you pause on the kid front? I'll be honest, I'm not to enthused about having a kid in this political and economic climate. The wife and I are on the fence, being married and going on 8 years together and I can honestly say I am not sure I want a kid anymore with the way things are going. We can't afford day care and sure as hell cant afford for one of us to be home.
                      Ironic you should post this, because the wife and I are expecting twins!! I'm 7 years older than my wife, and I thought long and hard about bringing a child into this world because I simply don't like what this country has become. We live in a brand new house, now 2 kids coming...day care is absolutely out of the question. We have other options, but it's something I've been dwelling on the last month or so...that's for sure.

                      When my kids are old enough to understand, I will apologize to them for the irresponsibility of us adults for the choices we made in this country. The minute my kids are born, they will already be behind the eight ball as they owe Uncle Sam their share of the debt this country has amassed.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Politics: Elections Effects?

                        Congratulations flux!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Politics: Elections Effects?

                          Flux, congrats to you and your wife! What a blessing!!! You are not the first thoughtful man to consider the state of the world and raising a child. Like I told my Dad when my wife and I were going to start a family, the world has always been in turmoil, that should not stop us from enjoying a full marrigae and doing our best to put forth a good person. You are not responsible for the economy, it has been a mess for years and will shock us all when it improves, ( is this me sounding positive?). Take care of yourself, be good to the mother of your children and "Teach your children well". Frank

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Politics: Elections Effects?

                            Thanks for the well wishes, but my wife is not out of the woods yet. I shouldn't of spoke so soon, as my wife is only 10 weeks pregnant, and she is still bleeding internally ( but clotting), so that is a major major concern. As most of you know, it's a bad omen to talk about it before the first trimester is over, and well...we have problems.

                            It's extremely possible both of the babies hit the "eject" button, and my wife bleeds out so...this is out of our hands and in God's.

                            But with that bad news...the babies are doing fine as of right now.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Politics: Elections Effects?

                              Prayers for you and your wife Flux! Hope it all works out well and you are blessed with two healthy children! My brother is expecting their first child next week.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X