Internet tax?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet tax?

How would you feel about an internet tax?
    I'm talking something like 1%, and the states would get have of that based on the location of the buyer. It could ONLY be changed by popular vote in a National election.

I don't know how many billions are spent online during the course of a year, but I bet its big just looking at what is spent on CyberMonday.

So yes or no or no opinion, vote your mind.

I'm undecided but I thought I would pose the question just the same.

Would/could it be enough to make a difference in a states or the federal budget?

Anyone know how much is spent online between individals and businesses in a year?
    Yes
    5.88%
    No
    58.82%
    Undecided/Depends
    35.29%

The poll is expired.

"It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Re: Internet tax?

I too am undecided however I seriously doubt something like has any chance of coming into being. I doubt very much that many individual States would be in favor of such a tax as it won't be but just around the corner when companies will be forced to charge State Sale Tax on all transactions anyways. Why would they settle for only 1% of the sale price when they can get many times more than that?
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Until there is proof of fiscal responsibility throughout local & federal government, I cannot support ANY new tax.

I am for a 1% or more decrease in pay and benefits for all elected and appointed officials however.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        How would you feel about an internet tax?
        It could ONLY be changed by popular vote in a National election.
        seems to me if it could only be repealed by a popular vote, then that is the only way it could be put into law in the first place!!

Comment

I voted undecided because while I'm not completely opposed to helping the cause, I would like to see some, any plan to fix the economy!
          Business people looking for a loan might have to show the lender a plan of their business model, intentions, meanwhile it seems our legislators are throwing darts blindfolded. I'm paying more at the pump, more at the stores, more for my healthcare and now more through taxes for other people's healthcare. How much more do I have to keep paying if there is no plan to make things more affordable, more stable? Hey, what's this talk of the United Nations somehow controlling the Internet?

Comment

I VOTED NO!

My reason is simple I no longer drink tea because of what happened early in our country's birth!

Just look at your telephone bill and its taxes. My land-line telephone bill before taxes is around $13.99
            not including long distance calls....

After taxes it's $36.33

Enough already! How can we let those idiots [both sides] understand you must be responsible
            and stay within the monies you have....

I no longer have surplus dollars available...actually I have no dollars available anymore, only change.

Cactus Man

Stop sending money to Syria, Egypt, Jordan, and other terror countries and use that money to
            fix the pot holes in New York! None of those countries offered a dime after the recent hurricane!

Israel, on the other hand sent people and supplies over to help

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
              seems to me if it could only be repealed by a popular vote, then that is the only way it could be put into law in the first place!!
              Exactly, it would have to be approved by the people, not their representitives who can not be trusted.
              And could only be changed in the same manner.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                Until there is proof of fiscal responsibility throughout local & federal government, I cannot support ANY new tax.

I am for a 1% or more decrease in pay and benefits for all elected and appointed officials however.
                I was a mayor for 8 years--at $50 a month. I guess $49.50 would have been OK, but I don't know if the council members could have survived with a 30 cent a month cut.

Comment

If you are not required to pay tax on your internet purchase at the time of sale you are required by law to pay it. Now, how many actually do is another question altogether.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • conductor fault locating
                  • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                    I was a mayor for 8 years--at $50 a month. I guess $49.50 would have been OK, but I don't know if the council members could have survived with a 30 cent a month cut.
                    A lots changed since back when you took over for Caesar.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                      A lots changed since back when you took over for Caesar.
                      Not in small town Minnesota!!!!

Comment

I don't do very much internet shopping as I believe my $ should be spent locally. But, I did vote "Yes". Primarily because I think internet and local retailing has to be on some kind of equal foot. More and more local retailers are feeling the pressure and it might just come down to the fact that if I buy on the internet, I can avoid the tax, as opposed to paying it for a local purchase. I don't want to see my local retailers go away... they are the shops that employ many people that I know.

But of course, (here in NY anyway) if the internet retailer has any kind of physical presense here in the State, you get charged the sales tax anyway. For instance, Rockler has a store front in one of or cities and therefore even if I place an order via the internet, I end up paying NY sales tax.

However here in NY, the state is sort of "Nuts" in it's greed. While it was established as being a "Sales Tax" (by that I mean a "tax on items sold here in NY"), the state government has actually tried to make it a "purchase tax"... and to that end, they have gone into neighboring states like PA and NJ and actually put reminders on vehicles with NY plates that tells the owner they must pay tax on their purchases. This in my opinion is totally absurd!

CWS

Comment

I'm against any new "creative" ways to generate tax money because I don't trust those in charge to do the right thing with the money. Our politicians just turn around and give that money to special interest groups or another group not needing the money.

Now if we lived in a society in where tax money went to pay for our out of control spending and people who truly needed it in life...I'm all for it.

But when I hear we wasted billions of dollars on green energy companies that folded or other off the wall crap...it pisses me off.

So I voted HELL NO!

Comment

Great Poll Bob...

Never vote for any tax. Look how many we already have. Every time we allow them to tax us more, it never ends and they will want more. It's like a 5 year old. Give him a penny candy. He wants more. The one you just gave him is already gone, now he wants two or three. Human nature.

No matter what good intentions were at the beginning, that 1% will keep graduating to more and before you know it, they will have it up to the average sales tax for the entire country. Or more!
                            Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Speaking of taxes, the other day I received a letter in the mail from the local tax collector that said I'm in default and if I don't pay there will be a lien against my home.

So while my blood was starting to boil as I read this letter, I thought to myself " Hmmm...I never received a tax bill in the first place".

A little background...I've been living in this brand new house now for 7 months. My wife and I knew from settlement, there would be 1 tax bill coming in the mail, but yet...we received a letter full of threats!

A long story short, half my neighbors received that same letter, and I had my wife call today to see if they would waive the penalty fee cause this was not our fault. She explained to the tax collector how quite a few people in this neighborhood never received an initial bill in the first place. The tax collector proceeded to scream at my wife and said we and my neighbors were lying, that she has proof she sent those tax bills out, and she will ABSOLUTELY NOT issue any waivers on late fees.

This is the crap I'm talking about right here when it comes to taxes and people in power. So now I was just defrauded out of $50.00 for something that was not my fault, and my neighbors were not at full either. I contacted my local state rep. to report this woman cause she is playing a game here...and as nice as she was (my rep) she said there was nothing she could do as it was a township,schoolboard,county matter for waivers of penalty fees. So how far do you think I would get with that?

I had the same problem with the sewer company when I first moved in...$12.00 late fee. If I wanted my $12.00 back, I had to petition the board for it. Ummm WHAT?? I told the lady that she needed the $12.00 more than me...it was principle for the reason of my phone call. But there again...no initial bill...just a threatening letter telling me they were going to shut my water off. I wouldn't of minded if they shut my water off, 5 steps to my truck to fetch the water key would of fixed that nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                              X