Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Internet tax?

Flux,

This something that has been going on for years/decades. Somehow the state denies that it has any jurisdiction, and knowing that, the local government allows what we used to call, "Welcome to the Neighborhood". I got hit with that when I bought my home in Painted Post about 35 years ago. I went to the tax people and pleaded my case as you have and got nowhere. The following year I got hit again, only this time I went to the tax office and looked over all the property assessments. I found that I was paying 400% higher taxes than my next higher taxed neighbor. I found some properties that hadn't been assessed in more than 12 years and some business properties that hadn't had their assessment changed in 15 years. But still everything fell on "deaf ears" locally.

I then started writing letters to my state senator and everyone I could find, including the newspapers. It took two more years, but finally the state finally passed legislation that allows any local taxpayer to go to a regional arbitrator who is independantly selected. Their ruling is binding, but even there I believe you can go to a higher court if the you feel you have been treated unfairly. While I had my taxes lowered in that particular year, all I got for those previous years was an apology.... But, they never bothered me after that.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
      Flux,

This something that has been going on for years/decades. Somehow the state denies that it has any jurisdiction, and knowing that, the local government allows what we used to call, "Welcome to the Neighborhood". I got hit with that when I bought my home in Painted Post about 35 years ago. I went to the tax people and pleaded my case as you have and got nowhere. The following year I got hit again, only this time I went to the tax office and looked over all the property assessments. I found that I was paying 400% higher taxes than my next higher taxed neighbor. I found some properties that hadn't been assessed in more than 12 years and some business properties that hadn't had their assessment changed in 15 years. But still everything fell on "deaf ears" locally.

I then started writing letters to my state senator and everyone I could find, including the newspapers. It took two more years, but finally the state finally passed legislation that allows any local taxpayer to go to a regional arbitrator who is independantly selected. Their ruling is binding, but even there I believe you can go to a higher court if the you feel you have been treated unfairly. While I had my taxes lowered in that particular year, all I got for those previous years was an apology.... But, they never bothered me after that.

CWS
      My dad was saying the same exact same thing in the truck today. He told me the battles he has had over the years with the local tax collector, and his biggest beef was with the occupation tax, as they had him listed wrong for a decade.

But see, this is the first time I ever owned a home, so I'm getting a rude awakening right now with this crap. I was fired up today that's for sure.

But I constantly check my taxes on the county website against my neighbors...I at least knew to do that...thank god.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
        I was a mayor for 8 years--at $50 a month. I guess $49.50 would have been OK, but I don't know if the council members could have survived with a 30 cent a month cut.
        I had a job with my city's government like that. I got paid $64/month, after taxes I didn't have much left. Good thing I lived across the street from where my office was cause if I had to pay for gas to get to the job I would have lost money.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

If you live in the same State as the Company your buying from on the Internet, you will pay Sales Tax. If you buy from a Company out of State that has a Satellite business in your State, you again will pay the Tax.

When you buy on line and don't pay Sales Tax, you do pay Shipping (or someone does) and those shippers are taxed just as heavily as other companies are. So our poor under paid Govt still makes revenue. As a matter of fact, every second of every day 24/7, our Govt is making lots of money on all the taxes that are too numerous to list on this Forum.

Every time you vote in a new tax, you are not only stealing from yourself, but from everybody else. And the Govt is just having a ball spending every dollar and an extremely large percentage more than that dollar. Like Earl Pitts always says: "Wake Up America!"
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
            Every time you vote in a new tax, you are not only stealing from yourself, but from everybody else. And the Govt is just having a ball spending every dollar and an extremely large percentage more than that dollar. Like Earl Pitts always says: "Wake Up America!"
            Logic isn't allowed on this forum. The dictator has the sheep right where he wants them...shhhh.

Comment

Working...
            X