X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipping?

Where do you stand on tipping? Who gets tipped? What percentage?

Just read somewhere that some are trying to say 25% at some restaurants.

Re: Tipping?

20% at a restaurant, some of them work for tips and unless the service is poor it's that or don't eat at a restaurant. Healthcare is costing me $1620, so for the first time I won't be tipping my mailman or garbage guys, usually $10 a piece. Sorry, if you think the price of gasoline, heating oil, food and other inflation is not affecting the economy.
    P.S. I ran into a small business owner I know tonight. He runs a leather goods shop, motorcycle apparel, etc. I asked him how his business was doing and he said very badly, people are not buying much. Just wait until these bums fail to fix the fiscal cliff problem, we're gonna see a lot of businesses just close.

Comment

normally 20% at a restaurant for me as well.

Comment

I do not eat at restaurants as my girlfriend is an EXCELLENT cook and is more than happy to always make a fine meal

At the bar it's $1.00 for one drink & $2.00 for anything over. I hardly ever stay in one spot for over 3.

Comment

If it's not the fault of the server 15%.

20% for good service and 25% for excellent service AND food.

$0 for bottled beer. $1 for a draft beer. $2 for mixed drink and maybe $5 at the end of the evening if the bartender has been quick to serve me when its busy.

Customers that used to tip me $50 in years past only pass out hugs and handshakes now. I'm okay with that

Comment

20% is also my norm at restaurants but I also think that the whole percentage of the bill concept is totally out of wack! The overall service experience given by the wait staff is generally the same whether the bill comes to $30 or $100 so if one meal is worthy of a $6 tip does the other really warrant a $20 tip?
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              20% is also my norm at restaurants but I also think that the whole percentage of the bill concept is totally out of wack! The overall service experience given by the wait staff is generally the same whether the bill comes to $30 or $100 so if one meal is worthy of a $6 tip does the other really warrant a $20 tip?
              The level of service figure in there too. A $30 meal for two might be relatively simple. A $100 dinner for two would probably have more work for the server(s).

Out of HS I waited tables at a upscale restaurant in the area. Average dinner for two was 70 to $100 and this was early 70s. We worked two servers to 6 tables and split the tips. We averaged $15 to $40 per table when serving a party of two, depending on the meal of course and the level of service required. for large parties of 8, 10, or larger the tip could be $100 or more. You had the salad to serve which was tossed and served table-side not brought out from the kitchen or pantry. Wine, appetizers, main course, condiments (relish tray) deserts, etc. and in between you are clearing dishes and keeping waters filled so its not always two trips from the kitchen and they're done.

There was also a lot we did long before you showed up to eat. If you were coming in for lunch you had to be there at 11AM to vacuum, clean your 6 tables and chairs and spread out fresh linens, set the tables (fold napkins, set out the silver just right (owner was a stickler for exact placement of silver), etc. If you were closing (dinner shift which usually had better tips) you had to clean up at the end of the day which also took about an hour.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 12-02-2012, 03:23 PM.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I always thought a tip is a discretionary payment by someone who felt they had received a good service for something. When there is an expectation that this is a mandatory payment (such as a "service" charge levied for groups in some places) it becomes part of the meal cost especially when they start telling you how much you should tip.

In many countries tipping is not the norm as it is here in the US. Here other than in eating places people such as shuttle bus drivers, taxi drivers etc all seem to expect a tip. I do not know what the history is and why it has become so widespread but I don't care for it.

Comment

It does seem to be pushing the percentage for some reason.

We primarily only see tipping in regards to restaurant servers here. Delivery people, service people, and others are not tipped and it is not expected. Only thing I can think of that is tipped often enough that it is assumed is a limo driver.

I completely understand the plight of the restaurant server and how some restaurants are able to circumvent minimum wage laws due to tipping.

But why the constant increase in percentage? Yes, cost of living expense has ever increased, but cost of product has increased as well which is directly proportional to increase tips so the percentage should not change.

Comment

most foreign countries don't tip, but pay their waiters better than minimun wage. also the price of the food is based on the time of day and day of the week.

first time i went to thailand, had a short stayover at the airport. me and a buddy feasted for $3.00 u.s. left a $5.00 u.s and the waitress was in tears

i guess she was not use to big spenders

of course in most developed countries, there's no such thing as a $3.00 meal for 2

so much for buying 6 ice cream cones at mcdonalds for $1.00 and passing them out to the kids

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Once again Rick proves to be a good man deserving of good fortune!

Comment

If the service is good and they check back to see if things are ok the tip goes up . If my drink gets a refill quick the tip goes up . If the food is good it goes up
                        If we had a good time and the staff was nice and clean we take care of them .
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I have mixed feelings about tips. In some restaurants, at least here in NY State, there once was what we referred to as a "tipping wage"... in other words, the server made less than minimum wage. For example, when I was 18 I worked in a department store restaurant for a couple of months. While I made $1.25 per hour (bus boy and general kitchen helper), the waitresses made something like 65 cents an hour, with the rest of their income being in tips. I was told on my first day that "tips" belonged to the waitress and NOT to touch them. Within just a few days I knew who had what section and would let the particular waitress know they had their tips on the table before I cleaned them. Sometimes a waitress would offer to share, but I refused, it just wasn't right.

I had a lot of respect for how hard they worked and how deserving they were of much more than they usually got. But one of the sad things I quickly recognized was how tips don't always equate to service. This was especially so in night clubs, bars, and some of the finer dining areas most frequented by men. Tips then amounted to show-offs and how pretty, "unbuttoned" or charming a waitress might be. That never sat very well with me. Some people worked very hard and their service was beyond others... but if you didn't look great, you didn't get tipped as well. I don't tip for "attractiveness".

We don't eat out a lot, as frankly I don't care for most restaurant food. The uncleanlyness of today's restaurants, and the attitudes of most young people in the business just really turns me off. I generally tip between 15 and 20%, and if I don't think the waitress is doing her job, then I won't leave a tip or return to that restaurant. I do think the biggest difference is whether the particular restaurant worker is dependant on those tips, in which case I'll always leave something. But otherwise, I won't tip people who are just "doing their job"... what, like that wage they're earning (and the high price I'm paying for it) isn't enough?

Unless it's a party at a restaurant or club, I really am not a bar person. Prices at bars for a simple bourbon and water seem ridiculously high. I can buy a bottle of Jim Beam or Wild Turkey for the cost of a couple of drinks. After a couple of drinks I might leave the guy $5, and if I'm there for a couple hours (has to be a party!) then a $10.

In the service trades, I have tipped a few of the contract people that have done work at our home... those that are truly into doing their work and do it well beyond expectations. (Oh, I do tip my mailman!) Otherwise, I figure their "wage" is well built into their billing.

Awards are another thing that turns me off. In my trade, there were always "awards" for the commercial art and advertising side of the business. Agencies always like to tout their awards and have them proudly plastered all over their offices. On the technical side of the business, we don't do awards. Funny because in the Ad business, all of those awards come from the AD clubs that the various agencies have grouped together and created... so they can present awards to themselves (like whose turn is it this year).

(I often thought the plumbers could probably do this, like every year you guys have a banquet and "This years greatest toilet install goes to!" Maybe I'm just jealous.)

Comment

Working...
                          X