Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Autozone throws hero employee under the bus

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
    You are wrong if you believe that no newssites would be reporting this story if someone had been shot. There was an incident here about 12 yrs. ago where 2 brothers shot 3 unarmed burglars that broke into their shop killing one of the burglars. This story was covered extensively locally & nationally. It would have been covered more, but the brothers did not give any interviews until the grand jury decided not to indict them. The best news story that came from that incident was after the burglar who died Mother went on TV to say what a good boy & father her son was. The family & friends (about 500 people) had a ralley the next day to tell the news what good hard working people the brothers were.

You can be judged by 12 or carried by 6 six it's your choice.
    Where did I say no news sites would be carrying the story in the alternative scenario I presented. Here is what I said again - If that had happened I doubt if the Blaze and other pro-NRA newsites would be reporting the story.

Comment

[QUOTE=Frankiarmz;387695]
      Originally posted by blue_can View Post
      I can also see the store's position. In this event the robber ran away but equally he could have seen the other gun and started firing. At that point it's anyone's guess who would have been injured or died. If that had happened I doubt if the Blaze and other pro-NRA newsites would be reporting the story. From the store's perspective bringing the gun into the store (even though it may have saved the day here) effectively sets a precedent that it's okay to bring a gun into the store.

The real issue is why is it easy for criminals to get guns.

I find your question to be naive because it is the same reason illegal drugs are so readily available. Crime pays wheter it is profiting from providing guns,and drugs, or human trafficking. Short of swift public executions rather than a turnstile criminal system, crime will always prevail. I think the real issue is, why is it so difficult for law abiding citizens to obtain firearms? I think a system of regular psychiatric evaluations along with proper firearms training, and "mandatory" gun ownership might level the playing field against violent criminals. Imagine for a moment if most law abiding folks were armed, now when that robber enters the store he is facing five or six people ready and able to protect themselves. I think that is a better deterrent than a no gun policy that only applies to those who obey the rules.
      Frank I think we have had this discussion before and my position has not changed (and probably unlikely to do so). I think the 2 amendment people and the gun lobby has convinced many people that it is okay to turn a blind eye to those who should not have access to weapons in order to promote the argument that everyone else should be carrying weapons.

Comment

The real issue is why is it easy for criminals to get guns.
        very simple they are CRIMINALS and do not follow the LAWs,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          very simple they are CRIMINALS and do not follow the LAWs,
          Hmm..and might it be a system that has so many guns in circulation that allows them to get a hold of them easily thereby perpetuating the problem.

Comment

[QUOTE=blue_can;387703]
            Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post

Frank I think we have had this discussion before and my position has not changed (and probably unlikely to do so). I think the 2 amendment people and the gun lobby has convinced many people that it is okay to turn a blind eye to those who should not have access to weapons in order to promote the argument that everyone else should be carrying weapons.
            It sounds to me like you are talking about Obama's ATF.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

usually i don't get into the political discussions unless it's a drum versus a sectional

my opinion is that the employee is representing the company. the company policy states no weapons and most likely just give the crook what they want.

the issue i see is that the employee went outside to get his gun and came back in to fight off the robber and protect his fellow worker. sure, he's a hero, but in the eyes of the company, he broke a serious company policy.

had he been just a customer in the store at the right time, he would be all over the news for stopping a robbery, but also in trouble for carrying a concealed weapon.

i'm sure another company would be thrilled to hire this hero.

this is nothing really new. see it on the news all the time with video. but usually it doesn't involve a gun, just more for resisting and putting up a fight.

the company has a policy and if the company fires the employee, they are right. doesn't matter if it was autozone or any fortune 500 company. do you really think a company wants the liability associated with bringing a weapon to work. i would think emerson / ridgid has the same policy too.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

[QUOTE=ToUtahNow;387711]

It sounds to me like you are talking about Obama's ATF.

Mark
                Maybe but I was actually referring to comments on here.

Comment

I'm not so sure that there was a company rules violation here at all. He didn't bring a gun into the workplace, what he did was have a gun in his personal vehicle. He only retreated outside to retrieve the weapon when he became aware that his fellow workers were in deadly danger. I think there is a difference between bringing a gun into the workplace and having a gun locked away in your own personal vehicle. Many times I had weapons in my vehicle when I was leaving from work to go hunting. It's my vehicle, not the companies.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Where did I say no news sites would be carrying the story in the alternative scenario I presented. Here is what I said again - If that had happened I doubt if the Blaze and other pro-NRA newsites would be reporting the story.
                    In the story I talked about the NRA sent a news crew , filmed an interview with one of the brothers & posted it on their website. I don't know if was covered by the Blaze, but it was covered by both pro & con gun control news sites.

Comment

Hmm..and might it be a system that has so many guns in circulation that allows them to get a hold of them easily thereby perpetuating the problem.
                      The vast majority of gun owners are law-abiding citizens. I do not know anyone other than criminals who want people who should not have guns to have guns. I am 100% okay with increasing the punishment for any violation of gun laws but at the same time, the laws have to make sense. I raised my boys around guns and taught them to respect firearms. l'd like to think we are all safer because of it.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                        In the story I talked about the NRA sent a news crew , filmed an interview with one of the brothers & posted it on their website. I don't know if was covered by the Blaze, but it was covered by both pro & con gun control news sites.
                        In the case of your specific story I can see why the NRA would have wanted to publicize the story since it makes a case for gun ownership. I should have been more specific in my statement to say that I doubt they would have carried the news if as a result of the employee bringing the gun the employee and/or someone else was shot as it's then no longer an example of a success story of gun ownership..

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          The vast majority of gun owners are law-abiding citizens. I do not know anyone other than criminals who want people who should not have guns to have guns. I am 100% okay with increasing the punishment for any violation of gun laws but at the same time, the laws have to make sense. I raised my boys around guns and taught them to respect firearms. l'd like to think we are all safer because of it.

Mark
                          I agree but by the very nature of widespread gun ownership criminals can get a hold of guns easily too - for example during a break in to a residence that has stored guns.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            usually i don't get into the political discussions unless it's a drum versus a sectional

my opinion is that the employee is representing the company. the company policy states no weapons and most likely just give the crook what they want.

the issue i see is that the employee went outside to get his gun and came back in to fight off the robber and protect his fellow worker. sure, he's a hero, but in the eyes of the company, he broke a serious company policy.

had he been just a customer in the store at the right time, he would be all over the news for stopping a robbery, but also in trouble for carrying a concealed weapon.

i'm sure another company would be thrilled to hire this hero.

this is nothing really new. see it on the news all the time with video. but usually it doesn't involve a gun, just more for resisting and putting up a fight.

the company has a policy and if the company fires the employee, they are right. doesn't matter if it was autozone or any fortune 500 company. do you really think a company wants the liability associated with bringing a weapon to work. i would think emerson / ridgid has the same policy too.

rick.
                            I understang their position very well. It is very expensive & time consuming for the company to defend itself after an employee shoots an armed robber. It is cheaper for them to act like sheep & just give the robber the money. While, I understand it does not mean I have to agree with it. Dead people can't sue, but their estate can.

Comment

I agree but by the very nature of widespread gun ownership criminals can get a hold of guns easily too - for example during a break in to a residence that has stored guns.
                              In that case I would penalize the gun owner for not properly securing his weapon. In addition, I would charge the criminal with a mandatory five year sentence added on to whatever else, for an illegally obtained firearm.

Mark

Comment

[QUOTE=blue_can;387703]
                                Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post

You asked the question "why is it so easy for criminals to get guns"?. I answered the question and you dismissed it, rather than discuss it, why? Your question ,and my answer is extremely relevant to this issue. You don't have to turn a blind eye to where illegal guns, drugs or anything else comes from, but to make that an argument against having law abiding citizens posess firearms is weak in my opinion.
                                We have many people who drive without a license, does that mean we should stop licensed drivers from operating motor vehicles?
                                Just because you are dissatisfied with the inability of law enforcement to stop illegal gun sales, and the criminal system from punishing those criminals, you want to penalize those who respect and obey the law? Your focus on the how, and why of illegal gun sales, and posession will not serve to prevent crimes involving illegal firearms. Your dissatisfaction with the second ammendment, and the gun lobby will not serve to protect innocent victims. Be open to the reality of crime, criminals, the efforts of law enforcement and the criminal justice system, then suggest a better alternative to level the playing field for potential victims. You might not want to change your position and that's fine because the criminals won't be changing theirs and neither will the unarmed victims or those who were able to use a licensed firearm to protect themselves.

You choose to dismiss my answer to your question, but I'll be glad to read and respond to this question if you choose to post an answer.
                                Why is it so difficult for a law abiding citizen to obtain a license to carry a firearm if it is so easy for a criminal to obtain an illegal firearm?
                                The law is powerless to stop the criminal about whom they know nothing other than his or her intent, while a law abiding citizen must provide identification, and much more information linking him to his community and firearm. I am open to changing my opinion if you can provide a workable solution to illegal gun posession vs legal posession. Frank
                                Last edited by Frankiarmz; 12-07-2012, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X