Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Autozone throws hero employee under the bus

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    In that case I would penalize the gun owner for not properly securing his weapon. In addition, I would charge the criminal with a mandatory five year sentence added on to whatever else, for an illegally obtained firearm.
    Mark
    this type of thinking is confusing to me,

it is MY property, the man is trespassing, first of all,
    he most likely broke in,
    he is taking something that is not his,
    it should not matter if it a firearm or a picture off the wall, he is not to be at the place, be in the building,(door locked or unlocked), he is not to have Item in his possession, and most likely by previous actions he is not to have that kind of property in his possession regardless,

It has nothing to do with how the owner stores or keeps the items, and should not, If his parents would have been proper the first time he took candy off the shelf at the local store and let him know there was consequences with taking property that is not his, and if the Law would have most likely done there job the first time he was picked up theft, most likely there would not be a break in and a theft of a weapon.

I should not be the one that has to jump through hoops to keep some one who has broken and trespassed and has the intent of theft to go further to protect some types my property, with threat of the law, I am not the ONE DOING WRONG.

REMEMBER GUNS DO NOT KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE,

remember the last school killing was with a compound bow, and a knife, Wyoming man kills 2, self; attack locks down school - The Denver Post

will my kitchen knives need a knife safe as well? will my pocket knife? need a belt safe? maybe my utility knife on my work belt, and I should have a portable safe for my air nail guns and my power actuated pin driver,

where does it stop,

why is the Innocent now the guilty,

This is the same thinking that in many locations that people are being tryed for assalt or murder for protecting them selfs in there own homes and on there own propertys,

this is the same thinking that the store mangement is using for there policy,

If they required there employes to open carry on the hip I bet there would not be any armed robbries in there stores,
    Last edited by BHD; 12-07-2012, 04:25 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Maybe we should ban cars as well, because criminals use them too.

While we are at it, why don't we all just live in our own little bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        usually i don't get into the political discussions unless it's a drum versus a sectional
        Hey Rick, we can have one of those discussions as well, since it's been awhile.

But if we really want to fire the troops up, we can do another T&M versus Flat Rate.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          I'm not so sure that there was a company rules violation here at all. He didn't bring a gun into the workplace, what he did was have a gun in his personal vehicle. He only retreated outside to retrieve the weapon when he became aware that his fellow workers were in deadly danger. I think there is a difference between bringing a gun into the workplace and having a gun locked away in your own personal vehicle. Many times I had weapons in my vehicle when I was leaving from work to go hunting. It's my vehicle, not the companies.
          I have worked many places where even having a gun properly locked and stowed away in your vehicle is not acceptable. The parking lot is company property at these places (no public parking for miles) and so they enforce their rules just as they do on the job site.

I agree that in this case he had the gun in his vehicle adn I am OK with that. But as Rick pointed out he went outside and retrieved his gun and brought it inside where he confronted the bad guy who was then scared off.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            Maybe we should ban cars as well, because criminals use them too.

While we are at it, why don't we all just live in our own little bubble.
            Flux, how is it that criminals get cars illegally? Why don't the authorities put a stop to that behavior? Seems that's where the problem with stolen cars lies, with all this easy access, not the criminal who is a victim of curcumstance.

Comment

Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right. If it's on the internet it must be true.....

Comment

Right or wrong, it makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvvJYVL7Bpk

Comment

[QUOTE=Frankiarmz;387729]
                  Originally posted by blue_can View Post

You asked the question "why is it so easy for criminals to get guns"?. I answered the question and you dismissed it, rather than discuss it, why? Your question ,and my answer is extremely relevant to this issue. You don't have to turn a blind eye to where illegal guns, drugs or anything else comes from, but to make that an argument against having law abiding citizens posess firearms is weak in my opinion.
                  We have many people who drive without a license, does that mean we should stop licensed drivers from operating motor vehicles?
                  Just because you are dissatisfied with the inability of law enforcement to stop illegal gun sales, and the criminal system from punishing those criminals, you want to penalize those who respect and obey the law? Your focus on the how, and why of illegal gun sales, and posession will not serve to prevent crimes involving illegal firearms. Your dissatisfaction with the second ammendment, and the gun lobby will not serve to protect innocent victims. Be open to the reality of crime, criminals, the efforts of law enforcement and the criminal justice system, then suggest a better alternative to level the playing field for potential victims. You might not want to change your position and that's fine because the criminals won't be changing theirs and neither will the unarmed victims or those who were able to use a licensed firearm to protect themselves.

You choose to dismiss my answer to your question, but I'll be glad to read and respond to this question if you choose to post an answer.
                  Why is it so difficult for a law abiding citizen to obtain a license to carry a firearm if it is so easy for a criminal to obtain an illegal firearm?
                  The law is powerless to stop the criminal about whom they know nothing other than his or her intent, while a law abiding citizen must provide identification, and much more information linking him to his community and firearm. I am open to changing my opinion if you can provide a workable solution to illegal gun posession vs legal posession. Frank
                  Sorry Frank it was not my intention to dismiss your post but I'm fairly sure we have had this discussion before so my guess is it will repeat itself and hence I did not engage in a same debate again.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    usually i don't get into the political discussions unless it's a drum versus a sectional

my opinion is that the employee is representing the company. the company policy states no weapons and most likely just give the crook what they want.

the issue i see is that the employee went outside to get his gun and came back in to fight off the robber and protect his fellow worker. sure, he's a hero, but in the eyes of the company, he broke a serious company policy.

had he been just a customer in the store at the right time, he would be all over the news for stopping a robbery, but also in trouble for carrying a concealed weapon.

i'm sure another company would be thrilled to hire this hero.

this is nothing really new. see it on the news all the time with video. but usually it doesn't involve a gun, just more for resisting and putting up a fight.

the company has a policy and if the company fires the employee, they are right. doesn't matter if it was autozone or any fortune 500 company. do you really think a company wants the liability associated with bringing a weapon to work. i would think emerson / ridgid has the same policy too.

rick.
                    Hey Rick - you should enter some of these political threads - they are almost as fun as the hire a pro threads

Comment

[QUOTE=blue_can;387777]
                      Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post

Sorry Frank it was not my intention to dismiss your post but I'm fairly sure we have had this discussion before so my guess is it will repeat itself and hence I did not engage in a same debate again.
                      Hey you never know, one of us might have a change of heart? Sometimes it takes a repeated effort to drive home your position to others, or to challenge your opinions. I have flip/flopped on all sorts of issues over the course of my life and I find no shame in growing beyond my beliefs. I would like to think over the years and over the course of many exchanges with folks on this Forum, such growth has taken place. That's the great thing about exchanging thoughts with folks outside of your comfort zone, you only know what you know, so look for fresh input.

Comment

Working...
                      X