X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miracle thread loosener, nut buster

this was emailed to me last week and bill/ plumbercrack happened to reference it today on another thread. so it must be true

thanks also to my machinist buddy charlie for the email.

Penetrating Oils ****

> Machinist's Workshop magazine recently published some information on
    > various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might
    > appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out
    > torque on rusted nuts. ****
    >
    > They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist.
    > They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the
    > control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically
    > rusted" environment. ****
    >
    > *Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen* ****
    >
    > No Oil used ...................516 pounds ****
    >
    > WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds ****
    >
    > PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds ****
    >
    > Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds ****
    >
    > Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds ****
    >
    > *ATF*-Acetone mix........53 pounds* ****
    (Automatic Transmission Fluid)
    >
    > The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission
    > fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any
    > commercial product in this one particular test. ****
    >
    > Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with
    > equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as
    > "Kroil" for about 20% of the price. ****
    >
    > Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can
    > also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix. ****

rick.

phoebe it is

Re: miracle thread loosener, nut buster

Thanks for the post, I found it very interesting. I love the fact they list the torque they used to loosen the bolt.

I've bought a bunch of brands for loosening bolts and components on bikes and they all seem to suck so before I make some of my own ATF*-Acetone mix is there anything I need to know before I make it? I know some chemicals mixed together can generate an over abundance of hazardous fumes, do you find that an issue with this? Also do you store it in a metal can, the acetone I already have came in a can because it will deteriorate plastics. Any safety tips you have would be appreciated.

Comment

I believe I read a military publication that used acetone and break cleaner.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I've seen this one. Kano Kroil works fine for me. Don't much care to become a chemist just to break a few bolts loose.

Comment

There is some really good stuff out of Texas. Its in a red can and called Corrosion X. I would love to have seen it stack up.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • and other specialties.

Comment

We've used this with good results. Seems similar to Kroil and not cheap. The sprayer is magical though. You can let a little drip burst without blasting yourself. Or you can shoot it a long ways. Don't know why it works better nozzle wise, but it does.

Home Page | Gibbs Brand Lubricant and Penetrating Oil

Comment

my guess is the ATF/Acetone mix works so well because the acetone is so thin it can work its way into the smallest of crevices and carries some of the ATF with it which does the work. We use Kroil at work and another brand that I can't remember the name of to save me a$$ right now. Now its gonna bug me until I get to work and look it up tomorrow.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

So get this crap.

I go to Tractor Supply today to get a battery for my tractor, and I also pick up a spray can of PB Blaster penetrating oil. I get to the register and the clerk asks for my birthdate. I said you don't need my birthday for me to make a cash purchase. He says we need your birthdate or can't make the sale. I said fine, you can put all this stuff back on the shelf (i had about $200 worth of stuff including the battery) and start to walkmout ofmthe store. There is a line of people behind me watching all thismin amazement. The cleck says the state says we have to record a birthdate for anyonen buying certain chemicals, and the penetrating oil is flagged in the computer as on of those chemicals. I said you need a birthday, here's one for you, 7/4/1776. He laughed and punched the number in and off I went with my terrorist chemicals to loosen some nuts.

It seems to me that the only nuts that need loosening are the idiots in Trenton, our state capital.
                Has anyone else run into this yet? They told me it just started a couple months ago. Any other states doing this yet or is it just New Jersey.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  So get this crap.

I go to Tractor Supply today to get a battery for my tractor, and I also pick up a spray can of PB Blaster penetrating oil. I get to the register and the clerk asks for my birthdate. I said you don't need my birthday for me to make a cash purchase. He says we need your birthdate or can't make the sale. I said fine, you can put all this stuff back on the shelf (i had about $200 worth of stuff including the battery) and start to walkmout ofmthe store. There is a line of people behind me watching all thismin amazement. The cleck says the state says we have to record a birthdate for anyonen buying certain chemicals, and the penetrating oil is flagged in the computer as on of those chemicals. I said you need a birthday, here's one for you, 7/4/1776. He laughed and punched the number in and off I went with my terrorist chemicals to loosen some nuts.

It seems to me that the only nuts that need loosening are the idiots in Trenton, our state capital.
                  Has anyone else run into this yet? They told me it just started a couple months ago. Any other states doing this yet or is it just New Jersey.
                  Man,ain't that something.

Comment

I bought a can of lacquer thinner at Home Depot the other day at the self checkout and the computer asked for my birth date. I ignored it but the sale went through anyway.

Comment

They won't allow me in Home Depot anymore!

I went to check out....
                      The cashier asked if I wanted to use my home Depot credit card?
                      I said "no" "I will be paying you today with Hawaiian dollars".

There was that expected pause or as we know it here "the deer in the headlights gaze"!!!

She called the manager..Oh the line behind me was growing.......

The manager asked what's the problem and the check out girl told him
                      this man wants to pay with Hawaiian dollars!

The manager looked right at me and a sly wink and grin told her
                      "we will let him do it just this time"

As I pulled the cash from my wallet and the cashier examined
                      the money obviously more confused...I then told her "Hawaii is one of the "57" states"!!!!!

she looked disheveled and as she handed me the receipt said "have a nice day"!

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                        They won't allow me in Home Depot anymore!

I went to check out....
                        The cashier asked if I wanted to use my home Depot credit card?
                        I said "no" "I will be paying you today with Hawaiian dollars".

There was that expected pause or as we know it here "the deer in the headlights gaze"!!!

She called the manager..Oh the line behind me was growing.......

The manager asked what's the problem and the check out girl told him
                        this man wants to pay with Hawaiian dollars!

The manager looked right at me and a sly wink and grin told her
                        "we will let him do it just this time"

As I pulled the cash from my wallet and the cashier examined
                        the money obviously more confused...I then told her "Hawaii is one of the "57" states"!!!!!

she looked disheveled and as she handed me the receipt said "have a nice day"!

Cactus Man
                        I thought Asstyme was the only one on here that liked to bust chops...LMAO
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                          I thought Asstyme was the only one on here that liked to bust chops...LMAO

Only when provoked............

Comment

Lowes in NC carded me for plumbers putty

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            So get this crap.

No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

never asked my b'day, but I get the zip code question all the time. Tracking, just like cookies.

Comment

Working...
                              X