X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newtown incident - Why?

I can not imagine what motivates these idiots.

Apparently this person was the son of a teacher at the school.

We, as a country, need to figure out how to stop this from happening without trampling on the 2nd amendment because I am against taking anyones rights in the name of protecting the public from incidents such as this because it will not make a difference. Restrictions on ammo purchases are also out in my opinion.

But we have to try to figure out a way to protect our kids without putting them in a prison atmosphere at school. I don't know the answer.

I pray for the families of those affected by this terrible incident.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Newtown incident - Why?

Right, wrong, or whatever. I just feel anger towards this GD coward. Don't care if he was beaten, molested, whatever.

Innocent children man. Just makes me mad.

Comment

Bob, in my opinion there is no excuse, no reason to explain why so many children or adults had to die! I don't think these incidents can be prevented. We don't have enough early detection of these cowardly crazies, not enough room in psych facilities, and unless you had trained armed guards standing with gun in hand and safety off, What chance do you have to stop a armed shooter intent on killing???

This was about half an hour from my home. My eyes were full of tears as I hugged and kissed my daughter as she headed off to work today. To think that twenty Moms & Dads won't have their children with them anymore is heart breaking. All we have is the very moment in which we are living, the next is a gift. Frank
      Last edited by Frankiarmz; 12-14-2012, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Wait, what happened? At the time of this post, I had just gotten home from work, and have to work the weekend.

Comment

I don't pretend to have a solution as to how to stop people from committing these heinous acts but taking away rights of law abiding citizens isn't the answer. I do feel that some types of mentally impared individuals are far to easily allowed to live within the mainstream popluation and that that factor is a part of this growing problem.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            I don't pretend to have a solution as to how to stop people from committing these heinous acts but taking away rights of law abiding citizens isn't the answer. I do feel that some types of mentally impared individuals are far to easily allowed to live within the mainstream popluation and that that factor is a part of this growing problem.
            Dave there are a lot of severely disturbed people who are in the mainstream. I refuse to go into Manhattan for that reason, crazy people and criminals, no thanks! I don't think there is enough funding or facilities to hold the disturbed. A few years ago I rented an apartment to a fellow who had severe depression. He threatened suicide and was taken away at least eight or nine times only to be released from a psych ward three to five days later. I finally was able to get him a slight ly longer stay and outpatient treatment by threatening the department head. I told him if you continue to release this guy after a couple days with no medication or follow up, and something tragic happens I will pursue a legal course. Unfortunately, there are too few people willing to get involved to either report or follow up a troubled person. No simple, easy, or quick fix.

Comment

How could you stop it, it's a tragedy...But there's to many nuts in this world...Just here where I live, people don't care anymore..Stupid, I don't know what there problems are...

Comment

In this particular case I think the majority of the deaths could have prevented if the person had never allowed inside the building.
                He was not a student or employees of the school system nor a parent or guardian of a student so he had no business there without
                prior approval of the School Principal or other person authorized to admit someone.

I hate the thought of having our kids get an education while in lockdown, and how do you have any outdoor
                activities and maintain relative safety? You'd need 10 foot walls around the building and armed guards.

Taking guns away or restricting future gun sales is not the answer. If they can't get a hold of a gun then they
                will find another way, maybe even more destructive such as a bomb or poisons.

I know many will disagree with me but the violence in some of these video games over the past 20 years (and beyond,
                remember DOOM)I don't know.

Why do we glorify fighting and killing and death? In those games where you can't physically die yourself but your
                character can you have nothing to lose so you go all out in trying to win. If you get killed you just hit the restart button
                so to speak and go again. How does this help anyone understand the dangers in pursuing actions such as it takes to
                win at these games?

How about if they made a action video game where once you get killed off in the game you can't play the game any more?
                The software self-destructs and will not run any more. That would be closer to real life. If you are willing to take the risk to
                then you face the consequences of its goes wrong.

Think anyone would buy it??? I doubt it.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob, I agree and disagree. I've been playing FPS games since its inception with Wolfenstein 3D (thats 20 years ago mind you) . Never even thought about killing anyone in real life. I will admit that the online multiplayer was way more challenging back in the day when you died, you were out until the next round. It made you play much more cautiously than one does today. I think the weapon or games matter not, the fact is there is some seriously messed up folks among us...

Comment

Btw, I was in my mid teens then. A lot of the problems I do see with the FPS games is parents buying them for pre-teen children. That falls directly on the parents lap, as the child can't buy it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      Taking guns away or restricting future gun sales is not the answer. If they can't get a hold of a gun then they
                      will find another way, maybe even more destructive such as a bomb or poisons.
                      The 9-11 terrorists killed 2,977 without the use of firearms.

Timmothy McVeigh killed 168 people and injured over 800 others, none of whom were shot.

Approx. fourteen MILLION Jews, gipsies, Russians, Poles, political prisoners, resistance fighters, homosexuals, persons with mental and physical handicaps, deportees and various other "prisoners of war" died in Hitler's death camps as part of his "Final Solution", most of whom were exterminated without the use of guns.

Those numbers represent just three examples that immediately popped into my head.

Evil will always find a way to demonstrate its influence upon mankind.
                      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I does not appear that guns are needed

22 children and elderly woman stabbed outside primary school by Chinese knifeman No motive was given for the stabbings, which echo a string of similar assaults against schoolchildren in 2010
                        Latest in series of similar attacks at Chinese schools and kindergartens

Read more: 22 children and elderly woman stabbed outside primary school by Chinese knifeman | Mail Online
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I know some of you will jump all over me for this, but that's OK. I have guns and I have a permit to carry. But, until 2004, fully automatic weapons were banned. (Why they were made legal, I don't know) I fail to see why John Q. Citizen needs to have an AK47 or something similar. I grant you, it won't stop crazies, but it would prevent some of the mass attacks by them.

Comment

Pipestone,

In this particular case, "fully automatic" weapons were NOT used! At this point, I'm not even sure if extended clips were used. I'm against the use or availability of "extended" magazine clips. It takes only a few seconds to change clips, at least on any weapon that I have ever used.

I cannot begin to express the absolute sorrow that I felt yesterday. I simply could not listen or watch anymore after last night's evening News broadcast. It really made me sick. I'm not normally upset to such an extent when I hear of "killings"; but in this case, the innocense of these victims, the time of year, the unspeakable evil and resulting devestation was beyond imagination. There are no words, and there is no excuse that can explain this in any manner.

But I do look at our society, what we have become and it simply cries for change. The last two decades have become more and more devisive. More and more charmed by weapons, and more and more in love and entertained by violence. Whether it be games, or movies, or television, our society has fallen in love with violence. We really need to own up, recognize, and make some civilized effort to change.

Years ago, a the TV show "Walker" was kicked off the air as being too violent, just a year or so ago, it was a mainstay on the Hallmark channel... that's how much we have changed! What was found unreasonably violent at one time, was now on the channel known for it's family gentleness.

While most adults and even teens can absorb a certain amount of this kind of entertainment and still maintain a healty perspective, there are far too many in our society, who simply cannot. Personally, I will not watch the graphic violence that has become part of today's so-called entertainment, and I fully know that I am pretty much alone in that view. That, all by itself, disturbs me as I don't think I should be alone in that feeling to "graphic" violence as entertainment.

This could be a gun control issue for many, and though I am for more control (or at least enforcement of what we have), this isn't a case for "control" as much as it is for education. NO laws were broken in the purchase here. The weapons were supposedly owned by the mother. A few moments I heard that she was a gun enthusiast. It begs to be asked, "What kind of control, parental control and security, and what was the situation within that household. I'm afraid the answers aren't there, the reasons aren't there, and therefore the steps toward prevention of future episodes aren't there.

Here in our area, parents and the general population cannot simply walk into a school class room area. And that applies to many office buildings too. Here in our area we had a similar killing spree just a few years ago (Binghamton American Civic Center), but still nothing prevents such thing from happening. It appears that in most areas, that front security desk only bars and retricts those law-abiding citizens who repect the postings. An armed assailant isn't going to be stopped by the lady at the reception desk!

The carnage of yesterday morning is beyond sorrow and beyond explanation. I am embarrassed for my country, and I am beyond sadness for those forty mothers and fathers, the brothers and sisters, the grandparents, cousins, neighbors, and friends. This not only destroyed the lives and the futures of those murdered, but it destroyed the potentials of greatness that may have been presented in the future of that community, that state, and our country. Never again will those people effected, know a joy at Christmas, or even a joy in just seeing the faces of their loved ones again. Sorrow, words, argument about reason or control have no meaning here.

I also think that most of us are too focused on our self-centered "rights" to focus or even recognize an embarrassment as to how such devestation brings focus on our gun interests. My opinion is that the only way the "gun issue" will ever change is for those enthusiasts to ask "How can this happen?" We each know how responsible we as individuals are, how much we enjoy our right to own and practice with such weapons. But, I think we need to ask ourselves and our friends and our community whether we keep our guns safe, secure, and mostly well away from anyone who might NOT deserve to share this "Right" with us.

CWS
                            Last edited by CWSmith; 12-15-2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

My feelings are ("My Feelings") that it essentially goes back to the Rich and Corporate World, you know, the 1% or 2%. I say that because "Greed" and "Wealth" is their world. They know nothing about or care about everyone else.

What is the motivation for producing these non logical weapons? Surely some will say it is because that's what the market wants. Well, I call Bullshit. If the manufactures had any "Logic Thinkers" instead of "Greed ($$$$) Thinkers" these types of weapons would not be available to the general public. I have NEVER heard any kind of explanation that makes any kind of sense as to why these fully automatic weapons are NEEDED by the general public, NEVER!!

Fully Automatic Guns in the past, were commonly accepted as being illegal, back when Logic and Common Sense was the norm. How and Who changed the rules? I don't know, but I do know that EVERYONE that now considers this the norm, I hold them completely responsible for every drop of blood that has fallen needlessly. It needs to be made known to them that they have a part in all of this.

I'm not saying, Ban all Guns. But Damn it, I don't understand why the first mention of any kind of Control brings out all of these fear mongers, fearing that all they will lose all of their guns, when in fact, just won't be able to have (or be able to get because no longer available) non practical, non logical, and not really needed fully automatic, meant to be used in only one way, weapon that was and is designed for one thing, MULTIPLE KILLING(s)

Yes, there are all kinds of "Crazy's" out there. Always has been, always will be. Knowing that, why do we allow these types of weapons to be available? Sure, a crazy person is going to kill with or without a gun. We can't stop that, but we should make sure that it can only be one or two instead of the mass numbers we are now seeing.......Almost Daily!

When Will It End??
                              Unfortunately, probably never, as long as individuals figure their needs and wants are more important than the needs and wants of the society they live in. At this point it appears that ($$$) Greed ($$$) has the upper hand of Logic.

I apologize for going one such a rant. All that I can think of is all of those innocent little Angels and now what their parents, grandparents, neighbors are forced to go through.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X