Gun Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gun Control

Anyone watch the Glenn Beck program on Thursday the 4th? His guest was Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. Talked about the psychology of gun violence in schools and how before the last 70s there were no recorded shootings where a juvenile was the gunman. That type of violence has exploded in the last 2 decades. The show made an argument for our movies, tv, and especially video games desensitizing our youth to death. Real wake up call (highly recommend watching it). Makes me want to be that much more vigilant about protecting my kids from content they or even I shouldn't be watching or playing.

The brain is a machine of learned and trained responses. We are supposed to be uncomfortable with death. Seems like today's media pushes the envelope further and further every year.

Comment

Josh, I remember watching the "food fight" in the movie Animal House and thinking how inappropriate. I never heard of a food fight in school prior to that movie and I can't imagine that happening when I went to school. That's just one small example of how the media (tv, movies, etc.) can desensitize us to what is right and wrong. I still think more of the problems that arise from these bad examples are a lack of good parenting that should accompany, or counter the bad stuff. I felt there was no way to insulate my daughters from all the foul language, sexual content and other age inappropriate things they would see and hear during their young lives, so I decided to be with them and engage them in conversation as much as possible. I told them you can watch all the food fights you want but if you ever participate in one, there will be a major problem. I made sure my daughters saw me act out at times so they knew Dad wasn't all talk. They knew it was not alright to be a bully and pick on others. Josh, too many parents are afraid to say what's right and wrong including drugs, sex and every thing else these kids encounter in life. I think we need to prepare our children for all the bad examples they will see in others, and not try to cover their eyes to all of the junk. There are of course reasonable limits, that both a parent and child will need. Kids let you know by their words or actions when the conversation is needed.

I never served alcohol to my daughters or their friends, so they or I would be more popular, but I know it happens! They are comfortable enough to discuss necessary things with my wife or myself because I made sure be accessable and openminded with them. What I'm trying to say is that no matter how influencial all those other things are, parents who care can usually make the difference. What ever the future holds, at least I know I tried to prepare them. I tired to make them responsible, and decent. Frank

Comment

Went to see Lincoln last week. The audience filing in was predominantly grey haired. For some reason, the trailers shown were for a far younger cohort. The violence depicted on screen during the previews was jaw dropping. It elicited an unmistakable uneasiness from the crowd. And, I'd say 90% of the intensity of the scenes depicted were created by enhanced audio/video technology not available as recently as 15 years ago.

Comment

Josh, (and everyone)

I couldn't agree more. Violence has become a major focus of our entertainment in the last two decades, and it's becoming worse as each new movie tries to tope the last. Some of it is just there to show bloody mayhem.

The games themselves have almost become just sick with violence and the bloodier the better. Hey, I really do like "first person" combat games, but many of them appear to be more focused on the gore, than on the strategy and the skill.

I have real problems with today's television too. The major networks all have their "cop/crime" melodramas, and they are more popular than ever. But the focus is really nasty I think, and I simply won't watch them. It's one thing to watch something where crime is solved, but too much of it is torture, kidnapping, and simply blood stuff. I know we call it "reality" and therefore justify it in that light, but that kind of reality is NOT at all entertaining, and I feel it is more numbing and our kids are growing up on this kind of crap. We've all grown up emulating what we see in the movies or on television, it's part of our human condition. But we no longer play at "portrayals", we now play at the gore presented and it doesn't seem to bother most of us, in the least.

When one considers that fifteen or so years ago, "Walker, Texas Ranger" was taken off the air because it's "kicking of the bad guys" was too violent, and yet today, that is nothing compared to what we might see on so many other programs. Sort of bad joke when we find "Walker" now occasionally being presented on the "Hallmark" channel. I guess we have become that numb in our senses that very little bothers us... and to some of us, it's on to find an even better "show", maybe one that really is "reality".

Another part of the problem is that about 35 or so years ago, the many mental institutions simply opened thier gates and let people out. Mental healthcare became a burden to our states. And though I don't know who to thank (sic) for that, it is almost impossible to commit anyone to a mental health faciility, even for evaluation. We had a case just a couple of weeks ago, here in a local city, where a police officer was shot and wounded. Two police officers called out to two suspicious guys who were reported by neighbors. One of them immediately ran and fired several shots at the police while doing so. This guy was so crazy, he was just running and firing is automatic back over this head as he was running, and he managed to hit one of the chasing officers. But, he also killed himself. Reportedly his firing was so insanely wild, that he actually shot himself in the head.

Come to find out, this 20-something was a Cuban immigrant, coming here when he was four yrs old. He had been in constant trouble and was considered criminally disturbed. Several attempts were made to commit him and even deport him, all to no avail. The question I have is whether this is another bit of insanity from the ACLU, or other "liberal" legal pros. (And I face this same kind of thing with an Hispanic neighbor who knows no bounds of civility and yet the law, doesn't seem to have a will or a way to touch.)

Another piece of the puzzle, IMO (and I know this will be heatedly argued) is that the NRA of today is highly more militant and right wing than it used to be thirty years ago. Gone is the reasoning, and blackened is the reputation of a moderately conservative organization that supported hunters, gun safety issues, and promoted responsible ownership and the ideals of gun sportsmanship. Today, too much focus is on supporting and defending unlimited firepower for all who have the money and the will to buy product. To me, it isn't so much about the right to own a weapon as it is about the right to make and sell any kind of weapon. And, to promote that business it spends a good amount of time scaring the he!! out of everyone for the purpose of increasing the market.

Lastly, and I think most importantly, is that "parenting" has simply fallen apart for far too many. I don't know if it's just that we have lost the ability, have become stupid, or just not interested in our children and what they do or don't do. I watched that idiot Youtube video last year in which this so-called "father" taught his daughter some respect by "putting a bullet" in her laptop. Most scary was that so many viewers said, "hell yeah"; like that was a really good way to teach your kid anything.... "by putting a bullet in it!" Have we totally lost our sense of right and wrong and responsibility?

These things, are steps away from civil thinking. Combined, and with other factors, it is almost surprising that we don't have more slaughter than we do. But, that said, I don't think guns in particular are the problem. I don't like the term "gun control" as I think it makes the solution sound easy, and worse it makes the "issue" just about "guns", all by themselves. I do think we need better control, but not about all guns in general or the ownership of all guns. The control, IMO, is needed to dampen the high-volume firepower availability to every common "wantabe" who feels the need of lifetaking power; and perhaps even better, to take steps to analyse and prohibit such mindless individuals from the right to procure weapons of any kind. The challenge of course is how does one go about doing that without penalizing those who are good, reponsible citizens?

CWS

Comment

I don't like the term "gun control" as I think it makes the solution sound
            easy, and worse it makes the "issue" just about "guns", all by themselves.
            This is what I was saying earlier, its easier to attack the inanimate object like a gun that has no rights under the law than it is to go after a person or group of people, so the laws are aimed at the guns and not the real problem, the people who abuse the guns.

And the violence in film, print, and TV as well as video games is just way out of hand, and rarely does little to support the story line (if any).

But we hand out awards to movies where every other scene is some form of torture, killing, or death.
            The video games make killing police out as if it were a heroic act.
            Grand Theft Auto is at the top of my list of worthless games. How do you build a case to justify the story line in this 'game'?

As Josh pointed out, 30+ years ago we did not have these problems. So if we want to know how to fix it we need to look at what has changed in those past 30 some years and evaluate where we went wrong and fix it.
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

I totally agree with what has been said about too much, and too graphic violence along with sex and drugs and alcohol depected in the media aimed at kids. When you have movies and programs about people helping and saving others it inspires a different mindset and behavior. I still remember leaving my first kung fu movie in The Bronx, the locals sure got fired up!

I'm not sure how much good will be done to curb all the violence and unwanted content going forward? I feel the best we can hope for is concerned and involved parents and guardians. Remember all this junk is not only on your home tv, it is at their friend's homes and almost eveywhere else. Hard to put the genie back in the bottle, or in this case the garbage back in the can it's too widespread!

Comment

No what has happened is that society has become desensitised since television was invented just look at the news services it is all bad and each station is trying to out do the other to get the ratings its like the Romans and their colosseum where the crowd wants more and more and they are given it with voilent movies and dvd`s and video games where blood and guts are everywhere and there is no going back as the genie is out of the bag and we haven`t got the courage to put it back in as the powers to be are just making to much money and it dosen`t effect them but the poor slob in the street is taking the brunt and is being killed in every imaginable way

Tony

Comment

I believe it was in world war one where soldiers just couldn't bring themselves to actually shoot at our enemies. They would fire over their heads or blindly fire into the field. They had to start making targets look like humans to start training them to react to a man as a target on the field. Many of the games out there are far far more realistic than shooting at silhouettes on a range. I have to admit I have enjoyed playing games like Call of Duty in the past and thought little of it until one of my boys walked down the stairs when I thought he was asleep. I immediately shut the game of out of pure instinct to protect him. Then the reality hit me on just how dangerous this stuff is.

Probably 20 years ago I remember our congress proudly passing a more stringent rating system for games, movies, and music. I feel that this had the opposite effect they expected. It gave permission for content that nobody had ever dreamed of being on games as long as it had the "M" for a rating. Now parents don't have the balls to tell their kids they arent allowed to consume that type of content.

Its a slippery slope and I fear that we have an entire generation of young people who have been numbed.
                  Last edited by Josh; 01-08-2013, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                    Anyone watch the Glenn Beck program on Thursday the 4th? His guest was Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. Talked about the psychology of gun violence in schools and how before the last 70s there were no recorded shootings where a juvenile was the gunman. That type of violence has exploded in the last 2 decades. The show made an argument for our movies, tv, and especially video games desensitizing our youth to death. Real wake up call (highly recommend watching it). Makes me want to be that much more vigilant about protecting my kids from content they or even I shouldn't be watching or playing.

The brain is a machine of learned and trained responses. We are supposed to be uncomfortable with death. Seems like today's media pushes the envelope further and further every year.

I couldn't agree more. There are no other explanations for it but I think other variables come into play as well....home situation and mental health to name two. Video games are the kicker though. Extremely realistic.

Comment

• Re: Gun Control

Originally posted by ChuckDee View Post
                      I couldn't agree more. There are no other explanations for it but I think other variables come into play as well....home situation and mental health to name two. Video games are the kicker though. Extremely realistic.

I double dog dare ya!
                      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Today I just happened to hear on the tv, that someone (I missed who they said) wants to ban semi-automatic handguns as well.

Comment

Flux,

As you well know, as the story gets hotter we will here the extremes from both sides of the issue. On one hand someone, somewhere will want to ban everything, and the other side will want to abolish any controls and constraints whatsoever.

As the days and weeks pass, this too will all settle down to some point.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                            Flux,

As you well know, as the story gets hotter we will here the extremes from both sides of the issue. On one hand someone, somewhere will want to ban everything, and the other side will want to abolish any controls and constraints whatsoever.

As the days and weeks pass, this too will all settle down to some point.

CWS

Agree 100%. Something will change but I don't think it will be to an over the top extreme.

Last edited by ChuckDee; 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Knives should be outlawed.

Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree at Salt Lake grocery store - ABC4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Why isn't that story all over the national news? I guess someone doing some good with a gun just isn't as newsworthy. Strange how a well trained civilian with a gun, who stops a violent individual without firing a shot, gets pretty much ignored by the national media. I'll bet there might just be a few people in that store who yesterday AM were for gun control that today have a different perspective on the issue.
                                ================================================== ====
                                All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Working...
                                X