Clear All

• The Ethical Decline of Mankind

Britain's 10th most popular Christmas gift request is a dad

Re: The Ethical Decline of Mankind

"The Ethical Decline of Mankind"

Thought you were going to talk about hand spinners

Comment

Bob, you have no idea how ugly that can of worms truely is. That article is only a symptom of a much larger problem that has been ongoing for the last fourty years.
      Go on youtube and look up a "manwomanmyth". He has a whole series on everything that's wrong, and all the incentives to keep such evils running wether by government intervening, or various activist groups.

Looking around, it seems that marriage is a sick game that's best not played.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
        Bob, you have no idea how ugly that can of worms truely is. That article is only a symptom of a much larger problem that has been ongoing for the last fourty years.
        Go on youtube and look up a "manwomanmyth". He has a whole series on everything that's wrong, and all the incentives to keep such evils running wether by government intervening, or various activist groups.

Looking around, it seems that marriage is a sick game that's best not played.
        Marriage is serious business, but is far too often undertaken by people who do not have strong ethics. What is the point of speaking vows if there is no moral commitment behind the words? There are many reasons, some bad, for people getting married and probably as many for them to divorce. If each spouse was held responsible for their vows, ethics, morals, divorce would be much less than what it is.
        I agree that in it's current form marriage is a sick game for many who go through the motions of a big fancy wedding, possibly a pregnancy or two, followed by divorce resulting from infidelity, substance abuse, financial irresponsibilty, and a whole host of other bad behavior. In the absense of ethics we witness all sorts of bad behavior such as seen in politics, business, the clergy and everywhere else.

Comment

There seems to be a lack of proper "upbringing" perhaps. I don't know (yeah too many things I don't know anymore), but for me it's a sense of "honor". Not the stupid kind of "honor" that some call it, where you carry out some vendetta because you feel your family's honor was impinged, but a personal honor that says you live to a higher standard of perception and value of your loved ones and your associations.

When I was in my late teens, I felt value in any relationship I had. I owed loyalty, and I felt loyalty was owed to me. I pride myself on being a gentleman and my personal manners and self-respect are important factors in that inward view. I'm by no means perfect, but I try and I know that any and every failure on my part haunts me forever.

I've been married for 44 years and we were good friends for two years before that. My wife and I are rarely apart and it is to the point where WE are better known and referred to by both are names, rather than as separate individuals. That kind of togetherness is nice, but it can get "old" at times too. We're by no means a peacefully content couple and we argue a helluva lot, and at times it's a real PIA. BUT, I made a vow a long, long time ago and I took it seriously. An arguement is not an excuse to break the vows we promised. An argument is an opportunity to reflect and to forgive or ask for forgiveness.

I expect a certain level from every relative and friend. But all of those expections are focused on being "honorable". I ask nothing of or from anyone as I am quite independant, and therefore any relationship is not one in which I ask help or assistance. But it is one where I expect a person to live to a high level of honesty and ambition. I do not maintain any friendship with someone who is not honest and who is not ambitious. I don't like "cheats" in any form or for that matter, anyone who takes advantage to the detriment of others; and I particularly don't like "privilege" or anyone who thinks they are better and thus entitled.

I was raised to "be a Man"... to be independant, self-reliant, to help others, to understand that others do not have the same advantages that I may have, and that all people should be respected, at least until they prove themselves to be something less. I was also taught to never expect things from people, and that though you give respect, you shouldn't have expectations. If you keep your expectations low, you won't be surprised and disappointed.

But you don't have to look long or far to see the "cheats", the lack of respect that people have for one another, the self-centered whining, and "what's in it for me" indulgence that permeates too many in our society today. Nice people are everywhere, but so too are the scoundrels. How did we loose our values or was it simply that we never were taught any values? If we have such little values, than how can we have long-lasting relationships?

Unfortunately, I've come to find that it really has little to do with what our parents valued or what the first dozen or so years of our lives might have taught us. Somewhere in our teens, or even twenties, everything that we may have learned as children changes. We become what we want to be, and in so doing we very often sever any moral connection with our childhood and any lesson's that our parents may have tried to instill in us.

I've known some of the nicest people with the most screwed up children imaginable; and, I've known some really lousey parents who just had kids that I would be very proud to call my own. Sometimes the child is reflective of thier parents, but often there is a vast difference. I wish there was something obvious that makes the difference clear, but I can't identify it.

Maybe Apple will come up with an I-Phone App which monitors our behaviour and personal relationships and perhaps vibrates when we are in the midst of screwing it all up.

CWS

Comment

It's kind of like watching to the NFL pre game show. A bunch of guys all sitting around talking about the bloody obvious. Everyone knows the problems and how to solve them. Nobody wants to bad enough.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X