* National debt: $14,271,000,000,000
    * Recent budget cuts: $ 38,500,000,000

Let's now remove 8 zeros and pretend it's a household budget:

* Annual family income: $21,700
    * Money the family spent: $38,200
    * New debt on the credit card: $16,500
    * Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
    * Total budget cuts so far: $385
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: Easy Math For Politicians

I recently sent a letter to John McCain my Senator.

I told him since it seems obvious the 545 [plus one] clowns in Washington consider
    one billion dollars as "chump change" when they discuss money on the TV news shows,
    I have a request as one of his constituents.

I asked him to send me one billion dollars! I also indicated that I really don't expect it as
    simple as writing out a check. I suggested he simply adds my name to those unrelated ridiculous
    pork projects at the tail end of any and all bills that they pass!

I even told him I'd be willing after receiving the one billion dollars to immediately donate five
    hundred million specifically to Social Security but he has to verify and ensure no one will go into the
    Social Security account/piggy bank and pull the money to study the mating rituals of cockroaches.

I wonder how long it will be to receive a reply?

Cactus Man

Comment

BD,

Hey, what's so weird about that.... Hey, I know too many people who live that way! Maybe the government can do what those people do: Simply file bankrupsy and before the first quarter is out, they start receiving offers for new credit cards!

Seriously though, what does it take to have our Congress stop this kind of spending? I've been around for more than a half-century and the wasteful spending that I've seen, just in my own communities is beyond sinful. The mindset of the common citizen is that "government" money is free. We hire and well pay "grant writers" to go after this money and there is no remorse whatsoever about receiving it and spending it. We like to go around and tell everybody it "creates jobs"... but in actuality it really doesn't.

Probably my latest nightmare waste of $Millions was this conglomeration of "flyovers" that exist here in Painted Post, where route 15 comes up from PA and merges with Route 86 which stretche east and west across NY's Southern Tier. This confluence was orginally a traffic circle. A bit scary, as every now and then we'd see some sleepy trucker come flying up 15 and then suddenly hit "the circle" and flip his rig. Over the forty or more years there's been a few injuries, but nobody ever got killed.

Now we have this massive structure of bridges, over and under each other. Extremely expensive to build and almost impossible to maintain, when that time comes. Along with it were local access bypasses a pedestrian sidewalk, fancy railings, and even a few pretty little bench areas with flowers and bronze signs noting "Painted Post" and "Gang Mills". Corning Inc. even has a special offramp positioned especially for easy access to their research facility. The actual cost to those, and the entire project isn't known, or at least isn't being reported to the locals.

So, what did we gain with all that expense. Well in the first year five people were killed! We can't afford to maintain those little bench areas, which are now all weeds. We can't afford even clean the pedestrian walks of snow and debris. Confusion is rampant, and the traffic is more snarled than ever... except for the main thru traffic which can't even see the village anymore (so we get little to know "out-of-town" stops for local business.

How many local jobs did this create? Absolutely NONE. All the contractors were from out of state. A couple of the local bars and McDonald's and Burger King and the local laundrymat saw som business increase, but even the local motels didn't makeup for the loss they saw because of the three years of construction.

Everywhere we look (if we care to look) we see this kind of wasteful spending. Some call it "progress", but I don't see it that way at all. We replaced something that was easy to maintain and easy to transverse with something that will cost $Millions in maintenance and cause extreme traffic problems when that time comes.

Most people have the good sense to know the difference between affording to buy something, and affording to own something. You can often buy a house or even build a house, but if you buy or build too big and too fancy, you may NOT be able to afford to live there. The government, even our local governments don't seem to comprehend that. The same applies to giving tax breaks to corporations so they we build in your community. Sounds good, but the tax revenues gained from the new employment, does not necessarily make up for the tax losses afforded because you not only gave it away to the new corporation, but that you also acquired additional debt in the infrastructure that you had to build the make it a nice place for the corporation.

Government, in too many cases, seems to be made up of fools who were never good at anything, can't do anything, and would have been total failures if it were not for their attractiveness to one political party or the other. Democrats and Republicans are both very well noted for these kinds of "pork-barrel" expenditures. Maybe a "line-item" veto, or some recognition and preventive measure should be legislated so that "stuff" just couldn't be snuck into a bill, like what happened last week.

CWS

Comment

One thing people don't realize, is the budget cuts are not real cuts. They are mearly cuts from automatic future increases.

Comment

Working...
        X