X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do You Believe in Evolution?

"Evolution" should be almost unquestionable if you have any education/knowledge of even basic biological science."
    CWS, thanks for weighing in. That sentence above bothers me because no amount of education proves the theory because there is no evidence that one species can evolve into another. Adaptaion or if you want to call it evolution within a species is well documented and accepted. I find it equally disturbing to be attacked, or insulted by folks who subscribe to the theory because they know their science or those who have faith and know they are right. I think there is something else to be considered in all this discussion. I don't know what it is, not suggesting alien intervention, or necessarily dismissing the other thoughts. I simply no longer blindly accept the well researched, and proposed theory as put forth by Darwin. We won't settle this disagreement by claiming to be smarter or of more faith. Since there is no proof of evolution, or God, or aliens, I guess we will have to wait and see. I really do appreciate the responses, and I respect all the different viewpoints. Frank

Comment

Frank,

You should not have (and maybe you didn't) taken my writing as an attack; and certainly not an attack on you. You asked the question, and you even invited me, specifically, to weigh in. So I did... but not as an attack.

I do think "evolution" should be "unquestionable"... the facts are there and they are well researched and documented. That's not to say they are absolutely complete or that they should disuade you or anyone else in their religious belief. As I said, "evolution" is not, or certainly should not be taken as "its either God or Science". That's just ignorant. There are many very scientific people who believe in God. Even science cannot disprove "God", any more than it can prove "God". Science, with regard to "evolution", does go a way toward changing the story as told from only a religious point of view though. But it does NOT take away a "God" presense.

In other words, it puts into evidence a different story than the interpretation that many of us, in our somewhat blind faith might have. Blind faith is merely an interpretation of the written word within the bible of the Christianity that we know. Other bibles, tablets, scrolls or whatever tell the story in slightly different ways, though they mostly all have basically a similar theme. But in reading and trying to understand the religious story, we cannot remove what a few hundred years of scientific discovery has factually presented.

Perhaps one might even believe in "Ancient Aliens" too. In my teens I used to love science fiction and there's been some pretty good stuff over the many years. Whether it is Wells, Clark, or whoever there is a very good appeal to many of us with imagination and a thirst for a different, more galactic kind of story. And I too was a reader of Erich Von Doniken, and I believe I still have three of his earliest books in my library. Certainly good stories, but after all these years I do think some of them are sort of a "leap". But I do think there is some questions that are not so easily answered otherwise; however I confess to not really having so much interest that I care to spend it trying to prove or disprove such... so I just except it as a good story.

Perhaps your questioning of "evolution" is more in concern with whether "man" is as he is described "In God's Image". Good question and I don't know. As a matter of fact, I don't know even the real question of that: Does it mean that God stood 6ft, weighed 180 lbs, had dark hair, good muscle tone, and was "white"? What does "image" mean? Can that be interpretted diferently by a short black man, or a woman or even a somewhat disformed man of any other race? Was that image, more than several thousand years ago, a bit shorter, a bit darker, a bit more stuped over? Problem is that the "man" who interprets that and then tells the rest of us will most likely interpret that in a manner where that "image" is very much like the interpreter himself. Are we not all so vain in our existance that we would want our God to be less than our own self image? Is "God" only a human form, because that is what we are. So he (if God can be a "He") must be totally human-like. He can't possibly be a creature with just two arms, two legs, a penis, and a brain. Maybe God is not sexual at all. Maybe God is purple, or translucent, or maybe he has not real physical form and that the image might well just meant to be interpreted as a power with a brain. And no matter how we interpret "image", we then might want to ask "at what point in our evolution or in our growth... was he an infant or an extemely aged man or woman?

You see, "image" doesn't necessarily have to be interpreted as a physical object at all. "God" could well have simply made of an "organism" perhaps like the very basic "organism" from which he might hold "holy". Biological or even "carbon-based" life form, would be in the "image". Or even the "image" could simply be a state from which "thought, self-recognition and imagination" might be made in some state which could then evolve to something like we now are. (If you read science fiction, then any kind of "lifeform", even one that is physically "formless" can be the image of God.)

Bottom line is that our thoughts and religious writings of God's image, is basically the image of human MAN, as we knew it at the time of the writing (and that time is pretty much left to long dead religious scholars and their descendant spokesmen.) In thier interpretation, and in most of ours, God was a white MAN, a physical image of us!

But isn't that sort of stupid? Haven't we all learned that this whole Christianity thing grew out of the "middle east".... so is it possible that God maybe looked more like Osama Bin Laden? Well No, because than that would really be Jesus, "the son of God" as we have all learned in our Christianity. The fact is we don't know about God at all. We might assume that God's son, like our sons, would look like us... but then we also know that there was no "biological" mating as such. So we really don't know at all, except that the Bible says, "in his image".

But of course, we're talking about "evolution" and NOT religion aren't we? So again, my point is that we really can't talk about "evolution" in an educated manner, without someone interpreting that as "anti-religious" in some way. But I don't think one belief has anything whatsoever to do with the other, or IMHO, it shouldn't. "Evolution" is very much proven for most biological life on this planet. Even if we were to wholely have absolute proof that humans were nothing more then some extremely lucky and overwhelmingly smart protozoa that took a million years to learn to crawl out of the muck and another million years to cross-breed, and develope, and survive and learn and mutate to what we have today become.... WE STILL COULD NOT PROVE, that our so long ago existance, was not because of the hand of God and that our developement and evolutionary path was not because of God's will.

And I reason that, because as far as we know, we are unique in our existance in this universe. Our planet, just the right chemical compounds, soil and atmospheric conditions, and even the exact position from a sun, of just the right size, with a moon so perfectly placed, and with an iron moltan core and at an exactly placed tilt... did the conditions of life occur! So here we are. Maybe just a quirk, but more like a condition made possible by what?

So that is the quesion; and therefore, the answer must be: GOD!

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 01-12-2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

CWS, I did invite you into the discussion because I enjoy your well thought out and written posts.
        "Evolution" should be almost unquestionable if you have any education/knowledge of even basic biological science."
        Maybe I'm too sensitive but I find that sentence insulting, not your belief in the theory. You are saying that if myself and others question the theory we lack education in biological science. I may not have the formal education of a man such as yourself, but I have been reading and learning about such things since I was a child. There is no evidence at all of one species evolving into another, period. Why do I have to either agree with you or be grouped into being a religious person? Why can't you accept the infinite possibilities? The same thing happens with politics, "I challenge President Bush and get labeled a liberal, I challenge President OBama and I'm accused of being a conservative.
        Sorry but it's just too easy to dismiss those who do not agree with you by assuming they are something other than what they truly are.
        I can accept elephants evolving from wooly mamoths, tigers from sabre tooth tigers, man from neanderthal man, but not species to totally new species. The jump required for reproduction and other life allowing functions seems to great in my simple mind. You may be right, but to claim a victory through science which has not been proven is over reaching in my opinion. I did not start this thread or invite you to argue or insult. We should be able to state our thoughts and respect one another's opinions. Is the God of christianity the only true God? Where did God come from? I am not challenging christians, athiests, or men of differing scientific theories. I am simply asking a question.

Comment

WOW, I think you are WAY too sensitive Franki,

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with "any education/knowledge of even basic biological science"... hey, if you don't have it, you don't have it. (Perhaps it's just the "you"... which probably should have been "one", as I didn't mean JUST you. But, either way, that doesn't make you (or any "one", inferior or anything else. But, I do apologize if you don't like the way I worded that.

I was just under the impression that every kid in this country had to sit through at least one year of biology or earth science. I'm also quite surprised if you didn't read of Darwin and his voyage on the Beagle and visits and studies of the species, gee, it was in all the papers of the time and certainly the text books of our time.... obviously I'm the ignorant one here in making the assumption that you got that in at least some of your classes. Geeez!

I myself sat through two years of Biology, as I was a science major... as opposed to being a math or history major. Just something the guidance office decided, not me... but I evolved into more of a "history" guy. As far as your "formal educational" view of me, thanks (I guess). But my formal education stopped after the 12th grade. But, that didn't mean I stopped learning or reading. I also enjoy the history and science channels... learning is what we make of it, as I'm sure you well do. But let's not be so damn argumentative about everything. You started this thread because you thought it would be fun and the first thing out the gate is you feel insulted and want to argue. What's your point, that if someone states that "basic" knowledge or the fact that, if they'd read something you haven't, it therefore is an insult? If that's the case, then you shouldn't post questions that you want people to join in on.

But to the subject at hand, I don't understand what the mystery is about? You say there is NO proof of any species evolving into another. I think you are looking at that in the most narrow sense of "species". It is well documented that within plants that evolution takes place. It is well documented that within "animals" (as opposed to "plants") that evolution is factual. Even within common insects there is a tranformation from pulpae to adult.... maggots turn into flys, catepilars to butterflys or moths in some species and tadpols who cannot live except underwater, into amphibious frogs. If that is possible right before our very eyes within a matter of days, than why is it so hard to grasp the fact that over thousands of years (or ten-thousands of years as the case, more may be), that a species might change and in fact grow into another offshoot of a species? I'm not saying that an existing species will transform itself into another existing species, but that somewhere in the far future, what exists now may not, and what exists now may transform or evolve into something else. We will NOT stay the same, those of us who are weak will die, those of us who are strong will adapt or we will die. We all know, it is a matter of survival of the fittest and the "fittest" doesn't necessarily mean the strongest... it is those that have the ability to adapt or evolve.

As I've stated before, the "argument" is in the interpretation and the fact that "religion" doesn't want to recoganize the reality that science has a story that is better based on fact, rather than just on faith. Sadly, a conflict has occured where no conflict should exist. The conflict is simply a matter of the shortness of the story.

Damn, this is almost like argueing an NRA issue or Republicans vs Democrats.... I gotta tell you there buddy, that participation here doesn't appear to be a worthwhile use of either my time or yours, especially if you only wish to interpret things as insults to your life,

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 01-12-2013, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
            WOW, I think you are WAY too sensitive Franki,

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with "any education/knowledge of even basic biological science"... hey, if you don't have it, you don't have it. (Perhaps it's just the "you"... which probably should have been "one", as I didn't mean JUST you. But, either way, that doesn't make you (or any "one", inferior or anything else. But, I do apologize if you don't like the way I worded that.

I was just under the impression that every kid in this country had to sit through at least one year of biology or earth science. I'm also quite surprised if you didn't read of Darwin and his voyage on the Beagle and visits and studies of the species, gee, it was in all the papers of the time and certainly the text books of our time.... obviously I'm the ignorant one here in making the assumption that you got that in at least some of your classes. Geeez!

I myself sat through two years of Biology, as I was a science major... as opposed to being a math or history major. Just something the guidance office decided, not me... but I evolved into more of a "history" guy. As far as your "formal educational" view of me, thanks (I guess). But my formal education stopped after the 12th grade. But, that didn't mean I stopped learning or reading. I also enjoy the history and science channels... learning is what we make of it, as I'm sure you well do. But let's not be so damn argumentative about everything. You started this thread because you thought it would be fun and the first thing out the gate is you feel insulted and want to argue. What's your point, that if someone states that "basic" knowledge or the fact that, if they'd read something you haven't, it therefore is an insult? If that's the case, then you shouldn't post questions that you want people to join in on.

But to the subject at hand, I don't understand what the mystery is about? You say there is NO proof of any species evolving into another. I think you are looking at that in the most narrow sense of "species". It is well documented that within plants that evolution takes place. It is well documented that within "animals" (as opposed to "plants") that evolution is factual. Even within common insects there is a tranformation from pulpae to adult.... maggots turn into flys, catepilars to butterflys or moths in some species and tadpols who cannot live except underwater, into amphibious frogs. If that is possible right before our very eyes within a matter of days, than why is it so hard to grasp the fact that over thousands of years (or ten-thousands of years as the case, more may be), that a species might change and in fact grow into another offshoot of a species? I'm not saying that an existing species will transform itself into another existing species, but that somewhere in the far future, what exists now may not, and what exists now may transform or evolve into something else. We will NOT stay the same, those of us who are weak will die, those of us who are strong will adapt or we will die. We all know, it is a matter of survival of the fittest and the "fittest" doesn't necessarily mean the strongest... it is those that have the ability to adapt or evolve.

As I've stated before, the "argument" is in the interpretation and the fact that "religion" doesn't want to recoganize the reality that science has a story that is better based on fact, rather than just on faith. Sadly, a conflict has occured where no conflict should exist. The conflict is simply a matter of the shortness of the story.

Damn, this is almost like argueing an NRA issue or Republicans vs Democrats.... I gotta tell you there buddy, that participation here doesn't appear to be a worthwhile use of either my time or yours, especially if you only wish to interpret things as insults to your life,

CWS
            CWS, as I wrote , I did find that statement insulting to everyone who has had such education but disagrees with your conclusion. I am familiar with Darwin but do not agree with his theory. I like to think we are capable of thinking beyond what we were taught, and challenging those ideas. The theory of evolution is not a law of science such as gravity, I repeat, there is no proof only conjecture. Evolutionists assume life began in the sea, and that meant life left the sea for land in the form of reptiles, and somehow evolved into other species such as bird and man. Just because that is taught in school does not mean it is fact. Children who were taught the world was flat must have felt very confident about their formal educations at the time, they were wrong. I am not saying the theory of evolution is going to someday be proved wrong, I do believe there is not enough evidence to say it is proven right at the present time.
            I say that my objection to accepting the theory of evolution is not based on religious belief, and you still find no other possible reason.
            You maintain that evolution should be unquestionable even from those with basic education in biology, even though myself and others with such education do not agree. My participation here is worthwhile because I am openminded, it is not my way or the highway. If you are closeminded to the possibility that someone with basic if not similar education to you cannot possibly draw a different conclusion without relying on religion then perhaps your time is not well spent here? I wish you were capable of adapting or evolving a attitude that includes the possibilty that your opinions on this, politics or anything else may benefit from a more open and less defensive attitude.
            CWS, while you were sitting through those two years of biology, did you ever challenge what you were taught? Like the saying goes, "I only know what I know". I like to think I'm still open to learning. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              CWS, I did invite you into the discussion because I enjoy your well thought out and written posts.
              Maybe I'm too sensitive but I find that sentence insulting, not your belief in the theory. You are saying that if myself and others question the theory we lack education in biological science.
              You know not to over simplify the issue but if I were to take my youngest daughter and give her a math question to solve, depending on the complexity, there is a very good chance she would get it wrong given the fact she is only three years old. Now when I read CWS's response I was quite fascinated at the level of insight he projected not only in his ideals concerning evolution, but also how those ideals would/could affect those who read his words. So when I read his comment I was certain someone would almost certainly take it as a common insult even though he framed his remark in the field of biological science. Similar to the way I wouldn't expect my daughter to know the answer to something she has no experience with, I also have no expectations on any person or people who do not understand or leave them selves open to the many factual and scientifically proven examples of evolution to accept what is and has been shown to be more plausible than blind faith.

Blind faith... what a shield. You don't have to prove anything, all inquiries are rebuffed with one word, faith. Evolution on the other hand... no shield, if anything it invites every blow that comes it's way. Given it's nature of openness, constant learning and constant interpretation it is no wonder more and more people are leaving organized religion behind and implementing a faith which incorporates a god and science.

Evolutionary Creation. To be honest I'm not sure why this thread is even a debate. Even the catholic church has conceded to the fact that evolution is occurring. For them the issue isn't evolution, it's whether or not you believe God was the instigator of creation and is the purveyor of your soul.

As CWS mentioned, science can not prove and by default, disprove, what/why/who/how the universe came into existence so it would stand to reason when comments like his are put up against those of the church, there really is no conflict.

Most conflict on this issue usually does come form ignorance. I'm not trying to call anyone stupid, in fact I openly admit my ignorance when it comes to many things. Ignorance doesn't mean I'm stupid, all it signifies is my lack or basic understanding of a known topic or issue. For some however the notion or possibility that a comment or line of thinking is beyond them becomes a personal attack or something of insult.

If you gotten this far I'm sure you probably have come to the conclusion that I am not a religious person or I have no faith. Well you would be right on one of those two. I was Raised Roman Catholic in a small community that almost fanatically believed in God. I've read the bible and have spent countless years searching for the meaning of it's words given the context of the world we now live in. As I've grown older I eventually gave up my religion in order to protect my faith as it became painfully obvious that my religion was not consistent with the reality of what science has been proving for years. Does this mean I am against religion... absolutely not. I accept what a person's religion can do for them weather they follow the teachings of catholic,islam,buddist or any other religion which seeks to give people purpose to their existence.

Again I'm not sure why this thread is even a debate. For the most part we all seem like semi-respectable people. I'm sure by now we've already made our decision for ourselves and we all know a few lines in a thread will not sway our beliefs either way. All a thread like this does is entice conflict without the possibility of resolution.

I'll leave you with this, regardless of what you believe, or what I believe, I will only hold a man or myself to the responsibility of allowing us all the freedom to pursue what we feel is best suited us with out interference or condescension by those who disagree. Simply put, I may not agree with you but I have the utmost respect in your right to be different than I.

Comment

Agreed that this is a touchy subject. In part because it threatens all we hold dear. I believe everything should be questioned if you dare know the truth. There is evidence of evolution such as fossil records, observed new species of insects evolving and DNA; human chromosome #2 (two chromosomes fused into one)

Hate to admit it, but there is much more proof for evolution than creation

Comment

I agree that this thread should not be a debate, we should not insult those who do not share our views, and yet that's what happened. I'm not touchy about my opinions, but when someone says a theory should be beyond question even by those with the most basic of understanding I find that unacceptable. I'm sure there are many learned people who disagree with evolution as presented and do not do so based on religious beliefs. Science can offer evidence that magic is not at the root of an event, but that does not mean the explanation they give is necessarily correct. Soft tissue does not survive in fossils, no transition from one species into a totally different one exists. A man of science could easily connect the dots and assume evolution must be true, but he could be wrong. I still don't understand the limited choice between science and religion? Why can't people who believe in science be open to the idea that more is to be learned?
                  I wanted to add that when I learned about matter in high school, there was the elemental chart and the smallest particles were the protons, electrons and neutrons of an atom. Then some years later this was discovered and proven.
                  http://curiosity.discovery.com/quest...covered-quarks. Science is still advancing, I would not be surprised if evolution is either proven or disproved in my lifetime then again I'm open to either possibility. Frank
                  Last edited by Frankiarmz; 01-13-2013, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Its a discussion no one can win as for me I beleave in a God a Supreme Being or whatever you want to call it I also beleave in evolution and that we have been here for more than 4,500 years and thankfully I will not know the answer and many others until I die and meet whatever and that is the joy of life for if we didn`t have these mysteries to solve then we wouldn`t have invented all the things we take for granted today which makes us Human Beings what we are

Tony
                    Last edited by AFM; 01-13-2013, 08:07 AM.

Comment

I wish we evolved a little slower i would love to move giant rocks around with my bare hands
                      It would help around the yard

Comment

Franki,

Here's some reading... specifically the section on "Definition of Species" : Species - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then perhaps, you can make your question very specific and we might be able to have a conversation about that.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong is asking questions, but I (and perhaps others) presume that "questions" are for the purpose of seeking answers and NOT argument. You never quite seem to be able to accept "answers" without feeling they are somehow insulting. In this particular case you asked the question, "Do you believe in Evolution?" My answer alluded to basic high school science and specifically "biology" gave us answers to that question. Whether one wishes to question that, disbelieve that, or take any interpretation of that is totally up to the individual.

Basically when one attends a class (of any kind, and at any time), they are there to learn. Once taught, they may well not be accepting of anything that they heard. Some people are smart enough to accept the studies for what they are, and some will simply walk away not accepting anything.... and of course, some with swallow the whole thing and never question any of it. Personally, I have a tendency to believe in what they are teaching me, because I'm, at that point, ignorant of the subject and open-minded to absorb the lesson. But when I leave that class and go on, my mind is still open and eager for further knowledge and will, if interested in the course, learn all that I can. Sometimes, that learning process may reverse or change what previously taught. That's what education is all about.

Now, perhaps you weren't asking so much about "evolution" as you might have been asking about the origins of man. A much more specific subject, than just "evolution".

CWS

Comment

CWS, thanks for the reply. I have attended classes, and so have other folks beyond my level of education and we draw a different conclusion. If a learned person says based on my education in biology I find the evidence of evoultion to be overwhelming, I could better accept that statement than them saying if a person has even the most basic of education on the subject they cannot possibly question the theory. Given the advancements in science you must leave room for the possibilities. Here is an interesting video which talks about a scientist and author who co-wrote a book on how life began to support evolution.
                          Specifically proteins and their building blocks, amino acids. Check it out and see what you think. Thanks

Comment

Okay, that was interesting. While I don't recall seeing this particular video, I do recall watching programs related or covering this concept.

So, what interpretation did you take away from this? I found it fully supporting "evolution". The question, as I see this video attempting to answer, is the very basic of how did "life" occur. It's not "what" life occurred, more like how did the very basic building block of life occur?

One might presume, as I attempted to communicate... that "Evolution" only goes so far back. This was alluded to in the first few statements, by saying that Darwinism only went back to the roots of the tree and that little or nothing was said beyond that. So after seeing this brief little video, are we to assume that some great hand must have provided those "instructions" of how amino acids should form protien forms and that they then were programmed to start "buiding"? The nature of that initial "instruction" can be defined in a "religious-like" manner.... Something really great had to put this in motion or something great had to bring into existance these very basic conditions and the amino acids themselves. But after that... the growth, variation, failure, renewal, success... that's "EVOLUTION".

Perhaps you interpret this differently and I'd like to know what you came away with. But, I don't think either of us can come away from any study of the subject and not find some source of "creation" and after that, "evolution". Science can be used, discovered, factored; and what we know of things, become the basis of "theory". Or we can just have theory, based on what little we might know and more of what we might think. OR (and this is the big part) we can just say we have "faith" in what the written "scripture" tells us, that in a mere seven days, God created heavan and earth. (But I always have a tendency to wonder.... who wrote that?)

We will of course not throw away the idea that nothing was created and that nothing evolved.... it all comes from another galaxy far, far away; and life here on earth is nothing more than sprouts from intergalactic seeding. BUT, then we have to ask: "What created life in that galaxy and how did it evolve!"

CWS
                            Last edited by CWSmith; 01-13-2013, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                              Okay, that was interesting. While I don't recall seeing this particular video, I do recall watching programs related or covering this concept.

So, what interpretation did you take away from this? I found it fully supporting "evolution". The question, as I see this video attempting to answer, is the very basic of how did "life" occur. It's not "what" life occurred, more like how did the very basic building block of life occur?

One might presume, as I attempted to communicate... that "Evolution" only goes so far back. This was alluded to in the first few statements, by saying that Darwinism only went back to the roots of the tree and that little or nothing was said beyond that. So after seeing this brief little video, are we to assume that some great hand must have provided those "instructions" of how amino acids should form protien forms and that they then were programmed to start "buiding"? The nature of that initial "instruction" can be defined in a "religious-like" manner.... Something really great had to put this in motion or something great had to bring into existance these very basic conditions and the amino acids themselves. But after that... the growth, variation, failure, renewal, success... that's "EVOLUTION".

Perhaps you interpret this differently and I'd like to know what you came away with. But, I don't think either of us can come away from any study of the subject and not find some source of "creation" and after that, "evolution". Science can be used, discovered, factored; and what we know of things, become the basis of "theory". Or we can just have theory, based on what little we might know and more of what we might think. OR (and this is the big part) we can just say we have "faith" in what the written "scripture" tells us, that in a mere seven days, God created heavan and earth. (But I always have a tendency to wonder.... who wrote that?)

We will of course not throw away the idea that nothing was created and that nothing evolved.... it all comes from another galaxy far, far away; and life here on earth is nothing more than sprouts from intergalactic seeding. BUT, then we have to ask: "What created life in that galaxy and how did it evolve!"

CWS
                              I found the video proving that even some of the most highly regarded men of science reserve the right to correct themselves given more thought or new information. I feel the same about the theory. Sorry you are so hung up on either evolution or religion (God). I am more open to other possibilities. The same goes for my political thoughts, but since I've spoken out against the President I formerly voted for you are certain I'm a conservative. Wrong again, there are other possibilities. I'll leave it at that CWS.

Comment

Aliens......ill leave it at that..

Comment

Working...
                                X