Do You Believe in Evolution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do You Believe in Evolution?

No one can prove anything for certain. The great thing about science is it is based on empirical evidence, not what makes you feel good about yourself. I would say most people of science are open to new evidence and therefore a theory can change. Even gravity is a theory.

Comment

I believe in evolution. It is important for this world. We are the biggest example of the evolution.
      appliance repair san diego
      refrigerator repair san diego

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
        No one can prove anything for certain. The great thing about science is it is based on empirical evidence, not what makes you feel good about yourself. I would say most people of science are open to new evidence and therefore a theory can change. Even gravity is a theory.
        I think in the case of gravity, it is considered a "Law". Science has documented the weightlessness of space and low gravity on the Moon. I agree that the theory of evolution sure looks good, I just have my doubts.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          I found the video proving that even some of the most highly regarded men of science reserve the right to correct themselves given more thought or new information. I feel the same about the theory. Sorry you are so hung up on either evolution or religion (God). I am more open to other possibilities. The same goes for my political thoughts, but since I've spoken out against the President I formerly voted for you are certain I'm a conservative. Wrong again, there are other possibilities. I'll leave it at that CWS.

Franki,

You seem to be really hung up on making an arguement about this and I really don't understand why that is.

Your phrasing that "you are so hung up on either evolution or religion" seems somewhat of a mystery to me. You say you are "open to other possibilities"... okay, I have no problem with that (didn't I mention other possibilties, like "seeding".) Would you like to discuss those "possibilities" and perhaps how they would not be subject in some way to evolution and/or religion?

It's your subject Franki, so please expand on it.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
            Franki,

You seem to be really hung up on making an arguement about this and I really don't understand why that is.

Your phrasing that "you are so hung up on either evolution or religion" seems somewhat of a mystery to me. You say you are "open to other possibilities"... okay, I have no problem with that (didn't I mention other possibilties, like "seeding".) Would you like to discuss those "possibilities" and perhaps how they would not be subject in some way to evolution and/or religion?

It's your subject Franki, so please expand on it.

CWS
            CWS, I don't want to argue or cause bad feelings here. I'm happy you are open to other possibilities beyond evolution, or religion. The only thing you wrote that I found objectionable was that comment about evolution being beyond question by those with the most basic of education in biology. I can't put forth an alternate explanation for the existence of different species, I'm not trying to prove you or anyone else wrong in your beliefs. I just think we can't be so sure that we can dismiss other possibilities. If you would like to post more of your thoughts, I'd be happy to read and learn your basis on the subject. Thanks, Frank

Comment

I think in the case of gravity, it is considered a "Law". Science has documented the weightlessness of space and low gravity on the Moon. I agree that the theory of evolution sure looks good, I just have my doubts.
              A scientific theory is based on careful examination of facts. It is much different from the non-scientific use of the word

Comment

Maybe this can help some folks understand the difference between a scientific theory and law. There is no evidence to prove evolution of one species to a totally different one, and since equally brilliant scientific minds disagree, possibilities still remain either way.
                Scientific Hypothesis, Theory, Law Definitions

Comment

There is lots of evidence, but it can not be definitively proven. Its the most logical theory known to man. Do you know of a better theory?

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                    There is lots of evidence, but it can not be definitively proven. Its the most logical theory known to man. Do you know of a better theory?
                    Absolutely not! I can't suggest anything that makes more sense, but that does not mean I agree with the theory of evolution. I like the idea of keeping an open mind to other possibilities because what appears to make sense and be logical can be proven wrong given more information and time. Humans have not been collecting data and applying scientific processes to the origins of different speciies for very long. There's at least a chance that in time man will witness events or develop advanced processes by which evolution is either further proven to be correct, or discovered to be far from the truth. Errors made in the science of medicine are a perfect example of how a relatively short period of time can make a world of difference in understanding and procedure. Not too long ago doctors would have laughed at the suggestion of invisible germs. Stomach ulcers were thought to be the result of stress or genetics, only in the last few years were they discovered to be manly caused by helicobacter pylori.

Possibly in our lifetime we will have undisputable evidence or some other explanation no one has yet suggested? Until then I will remain open to all thoughts on the subject.

Comment

Possibly in our lifetime we will have undisputable evidence
                      Like the second coming of Christ.
                      Then every knee shall bow.

Comment

There isn't a credible biologist, paleontologist, anthropologist et.al that will tell you evolution is a "theory". It started out as a theory and thanks to a preponderance of evidence, scientific investigation and genetic coding has long bee proved as fact. Those still arguing whether its a theory or not have simply not taken the time to thoroughly research the subject.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          There isn't a credible biologist, paleontologist, anthropologist et.al that will tell you evolution is a "theory". It started out as a theory and thanks to a preponderance of evidence, scientific investigation and genetic coding has long bee proved as fact. Those still arguing whether its a theory or not have simply not taken the time to thoroughly research the subject.
                          NHM, I appreciate your post, but their are educated people of science who have taken the time and reached a different conclusion. There is plenty of evidence of evolution or adaptation within a species but none to support one species evolving into a totally different one.
                          There are plenty of learned people who do not believe the theory of evolution to be valid and they do not fall into the category of creationists. I think it's great to say you believe in the theory based of certain evidence, but to say it is fact is just not accurate.
                          Scientists Who Do Not Believe in the Theory of Evolution Respond to Those Who Believe - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Comment

ALL life on earth comes from a single bacteria. The genome project has carried the tree back to the very beginning. There is evidential DNA that is present in all life that is the same and can only have come from a single organism. Again, there may be a few scientists still fleshing out the details but the overall process is well documented. W recently had this discussion on another forum which turned into a blood bath because debating with creationists is impossible
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              ALL life on earth comes from a single bacteria. The genome project has carried the tree back to the very beginning. There is evidential DNA that is present in all life that is the same and can only have come from a single organism. Again, there may be a few scientists still fleshing out the details but the overall process is well documented. W recently had this discussion on another forum which turned into a blood bath because debating with creationists is impossible
                              I'm not a creationist, just an open minded guy who thinks there just might be another explanation. Far be it from me to engage in a blood bath, so anyone who disagrees with you must be wrong and you are right. Clearly when there is a preponderance of evidence the resulting hypothesis must be fact. Scholars and teachers throughout history have never taught something that was later proved false. I'm glad to have gotten a concrete answer.

NHM, since you had this debate on another forum, maybe you could give your thoughts on this question. Did animals evolve from plants?
                              The best answer I could find is that all life evolved from a single organism, but that animals and plants evolved separately. If that's true then there is a disconnect in evolution right there, one should have evolved from the other. The same single organism and yet two very different species. Couldn't we share DNA and still evolve independantly from other species? I can't explain by what mechanism, but plants and animals did it.
                              Last edited by Frankiarmz; 01-19-2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Everything evolved from the single organism and later on split
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X