Do You Believe in Evolution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do You Believe in Evolution?

I didn't" bend my ears" to anything. If anything my early upbringing bent my ears to what I now consider nonsense. I was raised Catholic. Was an alter boy. Took comparative religion and studied religions for four years in college and it was that education that led me to my belief in science and led me away from the one thing that has been responsible for the most deaths and the retardation of understanding and scientific discovery. The thing that at this very minute is killing innocent and not so innocent people in the middle east and across the world. Religion(s) have done more harm to the advancement of man and civilization than anything
    sigpic

Comment

So, as a believer in creationism and the God of the Bible, I have the Hope of life after death, everlasting.
      Evolutionist have a theory I'm wrong.
      I risk nothing in my "belief", evolutionist risk everything for nothing.
      If I'm right, I WIN EVERYTHING!!!! If I'm wrong, I've lost nothing.

Go figure.

Comment

My belief is as strong as yours. I have hope for mankind. I have faith that if we don't kill ourselves and the planet off first, we will evolve into a species that does not have to kill others that don't believe as they believe. That don't judge others because they don't believe as they believe. That don't constantly try to change others that don't believe as they believe. That curiosity, inquiry and an open mind will drive civilization to greater achievements that some can't even imagine or are too frightened to try. I believe that religion in itself is not a bad thing provided you keep mankind out of it.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          My belief is as strong as yours. I have hope for mankind. I have faith that if we don't kill ourselves and the planet off first, we will evolve into a species that does not have to kill others that don't believe as they believe. That don't judge others because they don't believe as they believe. That don't constantly try to change others that don't believe as they believe. That curiosity, inquiry and an open mind will drive civilization to greater achievements that some can't even imagine or are too frightened to try. I believe that religion in itself is not a bad thing provided you keep mankind out of it.
          So, where do you HOPE to spend eternity?

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
            Does THAT really matter???

I'm sorry, but that is one of the great "distastes" I have for religion. From what I've read so far, I'm very much in agreement with NHMaster on this subject.

From what I have seen in my life, "Religion" has been a very great "pain" to humanity in too many ways. History has shown that "religion" has brought about a great deal of suffering, hatred, and inhumanity in it's effort to keep us all in fear of God and especially in fear of "church teachings".

While I believe in God and say my prayers daily, I stopped going to church a very long time ago. It offers me no peace of heart or mind. I have left it behind because there is simply too much un-Christian behavior to be observed. I'm sick of every religion thinking that their's is the only road to salvation. Christianity, should not be self-righteous.

I do not live my life with the promise and hope that I will have an afterlife, an eternity as you put it. I will not be chastised or think in any way that my "donations" to Church will ensure "eternity". My God does not care about "gold" or donations to the building of cathedrals, or even making daily testaments to his greatness. I do not need ministers or priests to convince me or conjole me and certainly I do not need either tents or temples, spokesmen, or choruses to speak with God. Nor does my God, make me think that any particular church, religion, or following will be loved more than any other.

What I believe is that my God, does not even care if I love him the most. What my God cares about is that I cherish those around me, that I do the right things in my life, that I care for others, that I practice "good", that I not take advantage of those less strong, that I "step-up" and help my fellow man. My God does NOT want me to take comfort in my Godliness, but he does want me to honor those around me and those who I might be able to help.

(Equally important I think, is that if there is a God, then he gave me a mind that I should be using to advance the civilization that I am part of. As humans, we have the power to reason, to imagine, to question, to seek, and to create. Science is part of that, I think. Would your God or mine, be happy with us, should we NOT exercise these capabilities?)

Personally, it is not a desire for eternity that drives me, it is only the thought that while I was here, I will do what I must, I will be helpful, I will be creative, and I will not harm. None of us walk through life without failure, or without hurting someone in some way. If I can be remembered for my honor, for my love, for my understanding and for my humanity than perhaps those things that I have done good will shine brighter than the shadows of my failures. I do not live in hopes of eternity, I live for what was right because of my presense. Memory of me, may be the only eternity that there is. IF there is anything else, than maybe God will weigh my objectives and find me worthy.

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 01-21-2013, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I didn't" bend my ears" to anything. If anything my early upbringing bent my ears to what I now consider nonsense. I was raised Catholic. Was an alter boy. Took comparative religion and studied religions for four years in college and it was that education that led me to my belief in science and led me away from the one thing that has been responsible for the most deaths and the retardation of understanding and scientific discovery. The thing that at this very minute is killing innocent and not so innocent people in the middle east and across the world. Religion(s) have done more harm to the advancement of man and civilization than anything
              Being saved through accepting Christ as our savior has absolutely nothing to do with religion.
              And being an alter boy and studying (religion) for X amount of time only gives you insight into - religion -.
              I'm not trying to sell region. Religion often gets it wrong. A sincere attempt at an overview of the New Testament reveals this, ie. Acts, Romans.
              You are sandwiching religion and the Bible together.
              Trust me there many many religious figures that are in a lot of trouble when they go to meet their maker.
              Bend the ear? That means people believe what they want to believe and hear what they want to hear.
              So since you don't want to believe in the God of the Bible you believe in,,,, say a theory such as evolution.
              That is what I believe, no offense intended. Smile

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post

I'm sorry, but that is one of the great "distastes" I have for religion. From what I've read so far, I'm very much in agreement with NHMaster on this subject.

From what I have seen in my life, "Religion" has been a very great "pain" to humanity in too many ways. History has shown that "religion" has brought about a great deal of suffering, hatred, and inhumanity in it's effort to keep us all in fear of God and especially in fear of "church teachings".

While I believe in God and say my prayers daily, I stopped going to church a very long time ago. It offers me no peace of heart or mind. I have left it behind because there is simply too much un-Christian behavior to be observed. I'm sick of every religion thinking that their's is the only road to salvation. Christianity, should not be self-righteous.

I do not live my life with the promise and hope that I will have an afterlife, an eternity as you put it. I will not be chastised or think in any way that my "donations" to Church will ensure "eternity". My God does not care about "gold" or donations to the building of cathedrals, or even making daily testaments to his greatness. I do not need ministers or priests to convince me or conjole me and certainly I do not need either tents or temples, spokesmen, or choruses to speak with God. Nor does my God, make me think that any particular church, religion, or following will be loved more than any other.

What I believe is that my God, does not even care if I love him the most. What my God cares about is that I cherish those around me, that I do the right things in my life, that I care for others, that I practice "good", that I not take advantage of those less strong, that I "step-up" and help my fellow man. My God does NOT want me to take comfort in my Godliness, but he does want me to honor those around me and those who I might be able to help.

(Equally important I think, is that if there is a God, then he gave me a mind that I should be using to advance the civilization that I am part of. As humans, we have the power to reason, to imagine, to question, to seek, and to create. Science is part of that, I think. Would your God or mine, be happy with us, should we NOT exercise these capabilities?)

Personally, it is not a desire for eternity that drives me, it is only the thought that while I was here, I will do what I must, I will be helpful, I will be creative, and I will not harm. None of us walk through life without failure, or without hurting someone in some way. If I can be remembered for my honor, for my love, for my understanding and for my humanity than perhaps those things that I have done good will shine brighter than the shadows of my failures. I do not live in hopes of eternity, I live for what was right because of my presense. Memory of me, may be the only eternity that there is. IF there is anything else, than maybe God will weigh my objectives and find me worthy.

CWS
                Wow!!! CWS, that is exactly how I live my life. I stopped attending church services years ago, but I firmly believe in being a good person. I don't need the promise of eternal bliss to conduct myself in a honorable and helpful manner. I don't cheat on my wife for fear of damnation, catching Aids, of suffering through a divorce. I simply want to do no harm to the woman I love, the woman I exchanged vows with. We make our own choices on behavior but I think a good example helps. My Father was a good man, well mannered, helpful, honest, not perfect he had flaws, but for the most part he lead by example. When he was old and ill from age related leukemia I asked him to stop driving, I said "Dad don't leave this earth having hurt someone when you know you shouldn't be driving anymore". He quit that day!
                We have many opportunities to do good, if faith in God helps I think that's great. Personally I have faith in myself and don't blame God or the devil for the choices I make. I hope we don't engage in a argument of faith or religion. We won't convince folks on either side of this issue so best to let it go. We've had our say. Thanks, Frank.

Comment

So, as a believer in creationism and the God of the Bible, I have the Hope of life after death, everlasting.
                  Evolutionist have a theory I'm wrong.
                  I risk nothing in my "belief", evolutionist risk everything for nothing.
                  If I'm right, I WIN EVERYTHING!!!! If I'm wrong, I've lost nothing.

Go figure.
                  Are you sure you aren't confusing an evolutionist with an atheist?

Comment

My molecules, my atoms will once more be scattered across the vastness of the universe to begin another journey as all matter has since the beginning of time. My name will carry on through at least two more generations if things go well and my history will be told until there is no longer any need or interest which is why the only proof of my existence lies in the history of my life and the lives I have touched for better or worse.
                    Last edited by NHMaster3015; 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post

CWS
                      Sorry, I don't know the god of which you write. The God I know has promised me eternal life, and offered it to me free of charge. Not based on my works or because I was a good person, but free. What does your god offer? How much does it cost? Will it be a price I'm willing to pay? Say my eternal soul? If that's the case, I'll pass on your choice of gods. I'm gonna stick with the one of the Bible. We're on a first name basis, he has kept all of his promises, and he even wrote my name down in this big ole book and everything. But thanks for sharing.

I can't wait until we get into a thread about reincarnation. I once dreamt I came back as a table leg and I need someone to explain that to me.

Comment

Start the tread and I'll post my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by cjh20 View Post
                          Are you sure you aren't confusing an evolutionist with an atheist?
                          I don't think I'm off by too much, but feel free to fill me in.

Comment

I don't think I'm off by too much, but feel free to fill me in.
                            I am both
                            sigpic

Comment

I am both
                              Of course you are

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
                                Being saved through accepting Christ as our savior has absolutely nothing to do with religion.
                                And being an alter boy and studying (religion) for X amount of time only gives you insight into - religion -.
                                I'm not trying to sell region. Religion often gets it wrong. A sincere attempt at an overview of the New Testament reveals this, ie. Acts, Romans.
                                You are sandwiching religion and the Bible together.
                                Trust me there many many religious figures that are in a lot of trouble when they go to meet their maker.
                                Bend the ear? That means people believe what they want to believe and hear what they want to hear.
                                So since you don't want to believe in the God of the Bible you believe in,,,, say a theory such as evolution.
                                That is what I believe, no offense intended. Smile
                                Accepting Christ as your savior has nothing to do with religion? What if you were born on the other side of the world? You would be praying to Bud-ah or Mohammad.

I want to believe in God, but I can not ignore the overwhelming evidence that it was contrived and edited by man. I agree with many of the tenants of religion but can not agree with many things in the bible such as; condoning slavery, killing homosexuals, wayward children and those who do not observe the Sabbath. Keeping sex slaves, not being allowed to eat shellfish...etc

Comment

Working...
                                X