X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Believe in Evolution?

The longer I live the less I support the Theory of Evolution, which says species evolved from the most simple to the most complex (man). We may share some genetic similarities with other species, but where is the proof that we evolved from any other life form? How can science account for the reproduction that would be necessary for one species to evolve into another, such as egg laying birds and reptiles into live birth mammals? I can understand a species adapting to it's environment, but not evolving into a totally different life form. Frank

Re: Do You Believe in Evolution?

I sure like watching Ancient Aliens don't know why

Comment

I posted some comments on a debate board for evolution and got some interesting responses. Seems there are folks who are steadfast on the theory, some grounded in religion, and the confused like me. Funny, if you asked me what I thought a few years ago I would have defended evolution. Now I have more questions, more doubts.

Comment

Somehow I'm not at all surprised. But I think I'll just leave you alone with this.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
          Somehow I'm not at all surprised. But I think I'll just leave you alone with this.
          Why? I have questions, thoughts, opinions but none of this is proven to my knowledge. Like I said, some people feel very strongly that they are right, I am open to listen. I admit my views have changed over the years. No one has to get upset or defend their ideas, your choice.
          Just for the record, I'm not a creationist, don't support that either.
          Last edited by Frankiarmz; 01-11-2013, 09:42 PM.

Comment

As one begins to understand a topic, it often uncovers many more questions.

I am a firm believer in evolution . A good starting place is "the origin of species" by Darwin.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
              As one begins to understand a topic, it often uncovers many more questions.

I am a firm believer in evolution . A good starting place is "the origin of species" by Darwin.
              I was a firm believer as well, but I've been giving it a lot of thought lately. I find no problem believing the adaption, and evolution within a species, it's that jump from one species to another even over many, many years that I no longer accept as reasonable. I can't offer a plausable alternative theory to explain the apperance of different or new species. I question the theory, but that does not mean I totally dismiss it, or any other positions on this subject. I appreciate the input to further my understanding. Thanks, Frank.

Comment

I'm a firm believer in Creationism. A good starting point is Genesis Chapter 1.

If you have questions I suggest: the roman road to salvation

Personally, through faith I believe there is more to this life than death.

Comment

Hey, CWS, sure you don't want to wet your feet? This could be more fun than politics

Comment

Read chariots of the gods it will answer and tons of your questions, fingerprints of the gods is another good one.

Comment

I think CW has a point this is a subject that should be left alone but

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
                        Read chariots of the gods it will answer and tons of your questions, fingerprints of the gods is another good one.
                        I really loved the movie chariots of the Gods when I was young and impressionable and am still a science fixtion fan and givess me respite with our crazy lives

Tony

Comment

Evolution is bull if you ask me... if it was true, why in the past 5-10k years of known history (fuzzy past 4k I know) have there been no change in humans, or any species for that matter. Plus, entire species that have gone extinct... should they have not evolved? It has to many holes in the theory if you ask me. For me, I take one good long look at a star lit sky on a clear night... and I can't for the life of me accept the notion that life is just a random mutation that started in a mud puddle of proteins. I am Christian through and through, but even if I didn't believe in the Almighty, my common sense bone wouldn't let me think evolution is a viable theory. Its just that, a theory!

Comment

A thought to ponder...

First there was nothing. Now there is everything. How? Why?
                            Last edited by gadgetarian; 01-12-2013, 02:03 PM.
                            "Good enough" isn't really "good"...

Comment

"Evolution" should be almost unquestionable if you have any education/knowledge of even basic biological science. It does however have some blind spots, "missing links" if you will, and like almost everything, questions that don't have easy answers. But of course "faith" has it's "missing links" too and the only answer that we have to the religious questions is "faith"! (Or that the "Lord works in mysterious ways!").

So, let me address the "religious" questions first (and this is a very slipery slope indeed, so I don't want to disturb any of you in your steadfast, unquestionable faiths). First let me state my father was a Methodist, my mother a Babtist. Sunday church services and "Sunday school" was an important part of growing up. My wife and her family are devout Catholics and for several years I was a regular, with her, attendee of "Mass". I believe in "God", I say my prayers every single day, and I spend my life being "Christian".

Okay, that said... Where is the truth that there is a God? I see so much evil, so much self-righteous, un-Christian behaviour, so much actual wickedness and anti-social, uncivil, inhuman, and simple narrow-minded, it's all about me, behaviour being practiced by regular "church-goers", that I find myself highly questioning of "Religion". I decided long ago, that the "church" is not a good place for "religion" and so I keep my relationship with "God" on strickly a personal level. In otherwords, I don't need an audience, someone telling me what I need to do each day, or someone telling me what I need to believe in. I simply pray and practice "Christian" behaviour toward my fellow man.

In so doing, I have never seen my prayers answered. I have seen a devout and very nice man loose two of his young daughters to cancer, seen families devastated by one disaster after another. Seen nasty people get one favor after another, and nothing ever touches them! Thousands die every day, and we see such evil, often carried out in the name of someone's "God". Should I be praying and believing, devoutly in any entity that is said to have "all power" and yet such things as the late slaughter of children dare happen! The answer of course is that "The Lord works in mysterious ways!"

So, should I question "Evolution"... when guys like Darwin and uncountable numbers of well-educated men and women have spent millions of hours and hundreds of years exploring the biological plants and animals of the planet, explored the depths of the oceans, and dug through the layers of mileniums to unravel, SCIENTIFICALLY the history of habitation? I don't think so!

Yet we can ask ourselves the very question that has haunted mankind throughout our known history, and still haunts us today: "Is there intelligent life here on earth?" We question everything, especially science. We believe those who shout in our ears about the evil, where evil doesn't exist, except from those who are doing the shouting. We disbelieve things like "global warming", when the evidence is all around us and we suffer the disasters that such change has brought upon us. We belive in power and money and what those with that power tell us, but we don't believe in the real truth or the results of such facts.

Evolution, is evident. Just look at ourselves. You live in a cold climate, you adapt. You live in a wam climate you adapt. You move any one of us from one place to another we have to RE-adapt. Adaptation in this case is entirely "biological". People adapt and over a few thousand years that "adaptation" begins to have an effect "biologically". Over the last few thousand years our bone structures have changed. Humans have generally grown taller, our craniums had grown bigger to match our increased brain size. Our muscle mass has become smaller, as we don't need to swing from tree's or work as hard. More evident perhaps is that we live longer, which is something historically noted even in the last several hundred years, but we die usually of very different things, like cancers and heart-attacks, and high blood pressure, and diabetes.... which weren't as prevalent even a couple of hundred years ago.

Evolution within species of animals and plants are well documented, with well-defined linkages. Sure, species die off, for stronger species dominate. Even if we just look at humans, it is easy to see "evolution". As mankind has traveled more, our armies have found themselves on different continents and in different countries, we see cross-racial decendants. That alone is evidence of "evolution". Like cross-pollination or grafting... new species or hybrids within a species evolve. Intellectuals together often breed more intellectuals, as do atheletes. Dogs are probably the most familier of species which have been bred for specifics, and look at the variety within the dog kingdom. All animals and most plants have adaptations, or mutations if you will.

Bottom line is that "Evolution" is highly evident and most of us don't have to look very far to see that. Religion on the other hand, is based almost entirely on "faith". There is NO proof, yet we all (including me) want to and need to believe that there is a God, and therefore there is a chance for us, now and into an afterlife. The problem of course is that "religious belief" and "evolution" should not collide. I don't think it does, unless you feel that God alone wrote the bible. Man has always written what he believes and his writings are usually for purpose. The bible is a great guide to living, but every word is not necessarily the factual truth. It is NOT science. The problem is, as I see it, that we much prefer for our "beliefs" to be easy for us... and so the written word can only be "reasoned" in the meaning that we adopt today. That "word" may have meant something else even a few hundred years ago, or it could have been written as a "metaphor"... a good story to show us the way. And as such, it can easily be misconstrued and/or "preached" to fulfill one's purpose. Hopefully, we have "evolved" to understand that... but perhaps not!

CWS
                              Last edited by CWSmith; 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X