Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Google Earth - Where in the world is?

Margate City, New Jersey, decanter st on the "north" Atlantic Av on the "west" and south washing ton av on the "south"

Lucy the Elephant is a six-story elephant-shaped architectural folly constructed of wood and tin sheeting in 1882 by James V. Lafferty in Margate City, New Jersey, two miles (3.2 km) south of Atlantic City in an effort to sell real estate and attract tourism. The idea of an animal-shaped building was innovative, and in 1882 the U.S. Patent Office granted Lafferty a patent giving him the exclusive right to make, use or sell animal-shaped buildings for seventeen years. Lucy is the oldest example of zoomorphic architecture. Lafferty, in fact, constructed several elephant-shaped buildings. – Wikipedia
    http://www.lucytheelephant.org/?presets=preset5
    Last edited by BHD; 01-15-2013, 09:43 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Yup, you got it BHD. I was inside Lucy when I was about 9 years old. It was empty inside except for an old baby grand piano. Where it sits now is not where it was built. It used to be right on the beach, but remember there was nothing there in the 1890s when it was built. You could climb up to the gondola up top, but that was closed off back then in the 60s because it was not in good repair. Lucy was wasting away for many uears then a group raised money to refurbish it and got it put on the National Register of Historic Places.

Your turn BHD.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

have fun,
        Attached Files
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

so no one is corn maze hunting in Colorado?
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            have fun,
            I thought we had that one already and someone found it? Or did I imagine it.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

This is fun! Where is that BHD? I’m not really that good in tinkering around google maps.

Comment

if a person types "Fritzler farms" in a google search you will find it fast,

The Fritzler Corn Maze - The original and best corn maze in northern Colorado!

Welcome to the Fritzler Corn Maze web site! The Fritzler Corn Maze is Colorado's original and premier corn maze offering bushels of farmtastic fun! Located just seven miles south of Greeley, Colorado on Highway 85, our corn maze is just a short drive from anywhere across the Colorado front range.

In google earth type in "Colorado corn maze". and it will locate the major advertised mazes in Colorado including the Frizler maze. even if one types in "Fritzler farm" into the google earth search it will take one right to it,
                Last edited by BHD; 02-10-2013, 10:42 PM.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X