Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter

And then it is Winter…

You know. . . time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years. It seems just yesterday that I was young, just married and embarking on my new life with my mate. Yet in a way, it seems like eons ago, and I wonder where all the years went. I know that I lived them all. I have glimpses of how it was back then and of all my hopes and dreams.

But, here it is... the winter of my life and it catches me by surprise...How did I get here so fast? Where did the years go and where did my youth go? I remember well...seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were years away from me and that winter was so far off that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like.

But, here it is...my friends are retired and getting grey...they move slower and I see an older person now. Some are in better and some worse shape than me...but, I see the great change...Not like the ones that I remember who were young and vibrant...but, like me, their age is beginning to show and we are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd be. Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the day! And taking a nap is not a treat anymore... it's mandatory! Cause if I don't on my own free will... I just fall asleep where I sit!

And so...now I enter into this new season of my life unprepared for all the aches and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do things that I wish I had done but never did!! But, at least I know, that though the winter has come, and I'm not sure how long it will last...this I know, that when it's over... it’s over.

Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done...things I should have done, but indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done. It's all in a lifetime.

So, if you're not in your winter yet...let me remind you, that it will be here faster than you think. So, whatever you would like to accomplish in your life please do it quickly! Don't put things off too long!! Life goes by quickly. So, do what you can today, as you can never be sure whether this is your winter or not! You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life...so, live for today and say all the things that you want your loved ones to remember...and hope that they appreciate and love you for all the things that you have done for them in all the years past!!

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after. Make it a fantastic one.

LIVE IT WELL!
    ENJOY TODAY!
    DO SOMETHING FUN!
    BE HAPPY!
    BE THANKFUL!
    HAVE A GREAT DAY

Remember "It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.”

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

Re: Winter

Great post Kid! I think these thoughts a lot these days. I'm mad at myself for not having spent more time with my daughters when they were little, it was never enough! You can do nine good things for children, but say no once and you're a bad guy. Funny but true.
    I refused to go on some vacations with my wife and daughters because I felt we could not afford the expense but they went anyway and I missed out. I post these comments hoping even one of the younger guys will learn from my mistakes. I did spend time with my family but looking back it should have been more. The time does fly, it is a precious commodity, like good health. Eat well, exercise, make love, make jokes, kiss your kids and tell them you love them. Moment to moment we just don't know what will happen. Frank

Comment

Life ain't about money or things. Life is about experiences. I can honestly say that I have always done those things I wanted to do and I will continue to do so till the day I die. I may not get to them all but I will try. I have lived a selfish life and I have hurt a few people along the way but I have also made a lot of friends and influenced a lot of kids over the years. It's a balance I think. I go through life with few regrets. It is the successes and the failures that make me who I am for better or worse.
      sigpic

Comment

Pipestone,

A very nice piece of writing, indeed. You so well expressed what I imagine so many of us have thought..."Where did the time go?".

A number or years ago, there was a song by Simon and Garfunkel, it came out when I was in my early twenties, and was a favorite of mine, it went something like:

Time, Time, Time
        See what's become of me
        as I look around at my possibilities
        Look around, Leaves are brown, it's the lazy haze of winter!

I think that was on their "Bookends" album, along with another favorite called "Old Friends".

I've always been a bit of a romantic, but at the same time have found adventure in life. Honor and stepping up has left me with a lot of good memories, but I've also found certain "stupid" and "insensitive" moments that even after almost fifty years leave me with much regret and I only wish I could apologize or take back such actions on my part. Time passes so quickly and all you have left is the memory of it. Maybe others will remember us or what we have done, and to that end, I have always tried to leave in my wake something good. But I also know that there's a bit of debris there too. Speaking one's mind too often hurts and once said, cannot be removed.

I like to think that in each day we must create something, leave a smile, make someone happy, do the right thing, make a difference to someone; and if you can't do that today, at least learn something new, and always have a dream to move forward to tomorrow.

Your post brings much to mind, smiles and not-so-happy moments too. Thanks for the very well expressed post, it was very much appreciated.

CWS

Comment

I need to clarify, I did NOT compose that post, but it expressed my feelings so well that I thought it best to share. I apologize for not putting that info at the beginning of the post.

Comment

Great post. " remember, life is only a weekend "
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I stood there boldly, sweating in the sun. Felt like a million, felt like number one. It was the height of summer, I never felt so strong. Like a rock.

A few years ago I used to sing in clubs on the weekend. A solo act. Just me and my guitar. There are a half dozen songs that folks would request that I had a hard time getting through. Seeger's like a rock is one of them
              sigpic

Comment

Ahhh, I'm disappointed... NOT really though. Hey Pipestone, you read it and it meant something to you and you thought it was worth the sharing and especially sharing with us. That sort of makes it partly yours and I'm still glad you posted it.

Thanks

CWS

Comment

When I saw your post winter I thought what winter as it is 40c here and forgot that the US is in winter and didn`t realise till I started to read your thread that you were talking about the winter of your life now you carn`t complain as you have had a great innings 80 years three score and ten and then another ten
                  I`m edging up to my mid sixties and am falling apart body wise and wonder what the next fifteen years will hold if I am unfortune enough to get there as the last two years have been a wake up call for health and what can and does go wrong as one gets older as the body is not young anymore and able to heal itself without surgery and what that involves with the longer recovery times I like you don`t know where the last forty years went to it just slipped by
                  I am edging into retirement and am finding it difficult as I have worked all my life as my mind says I can do such and such a job but my body says no you carn`t I spending my time doing up my house to sell and down size as it has just got beyond me and need the extra cash to top up my super no getting older is a pain in the ***

Tony

Comment

Working...
                  X