Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the NRA becoming the next PETA?

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Just another anti Gunner dressed in O Mama clothes !
    Originally posted by Supermanofsteel View Post
    Is this the best you can do? Insult me personally instead of actually contributing something of merit to the discussion.

Perhaps you should go back and read my original post before you post again.

The topic is about how an organization presents it's self and whether or not what they are doing is causing them harm or making things better for themselves regardless of their cause.

Personally I feel their approach undermines their credibility outside their membership. When they are saying because a Presidents (Forget OBAMA AS THIS HAS ALWAYS APPLIED TO ALL PRESIDENTS FAMILIES) children get protection than why not all children.

Do you agree or disagree that this type of remark is making a stretch between two very different situations.

Imo, the remark is damaging and loses them credibility because that statement does not grasp the fact that the president's family is a very high profile target vs ordinary citizens.
    Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Yes ,You're too far away

I get the jest of it but I'm now left wondering if your one of these arm chair trolls or if you actually have the courage to say it instead of hiding behind the innuendo.

Comment

If your main focus is the NRA's pr campaign, then I would agree there is room for improvement. It's difficult to have just this discussion and exclude the President's actions in all this. Image is a lot, but it's not everything, there we disagree. People who eat meat and wear real furs could care less what Peta is saying in their campaigns. Lawful gun owners, members of the NRA know who they are and what the NRA stands for, regardless of any bad pr. I feel sad for all those innocent people who have been killed by criminals and crazies (excuse my politically incorrect tone), their families, and all who will follow. While we have this discussion, and the President makes useless recommendations the problem worsens. Plea bargaining and paroling of convicted murderers will not stop, and we know it. Illegal firearms will not disappear as a result of existing or new laws. The unarmed, unprepared, unprotected, law abiding victims will continue to be brutalized and killed. They are at the mercy of the agressors, they are failed by their legislators. Shame on the legal system, shame on the legislators, shame on the abusive or neglectful parents who conceive and give birth to life only to see it do evil. We all hope but know the much that needs to be done, will not. Our schools needed more teachers, more attentive students, more concerned parents, armed guards are a poor substitute for those things.

Comment

I get the jest of it but I'm now left wondering if your one of these arm chair trolls or if you actually have the courage to say it instead of hiding behind the innuendo.
        Forgive Toolaholic, he has no idea who he is messing with. His weapons are useless against...

Comment

I love eating tasty animals!

Comment

Yikes, think I offended someone!

Edited and removed pictures. hmmmm
            Last edited by ironranger; 01-20-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

lol that's an awesome comparison, well done. I love the way they both use the children to bolster their public images. But consider what I've been saying to what you've just shown, they are both playing their cards to increase likeability with the majority of the public in order to get their way.

The NRA however is almost backwards on this type of thinking. Did you catch the article where the NRA app is rated a 4? So it's considered age appropriate for people aged 4 and over? I mean seriously, who makes these decisions?

What I would like to see for the NRA, is sourcing out or hiring better people capable of getting their message across that is more palatable to the general public. In essence, a lot of what they say has merit, ( I may not always agree with it but I do see the reasoning behind it) but it seems like they just don't have the ability or know how in getting their point of view across.
              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 01-20-2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

To the OP:

I believe when you look at the attacks made against our Second Amendments Right, the NRA is doing what they need to do to get noticed.

Living in Canada, I know your gun privileges have already been cut way back. One of my sons lived in Ontario for a few years. I live in California so until earlier this week we had the toughest restricted gun list in the Nation. I do not own a single Para-military style weapon. Not because I have anything against them, I just don't have a need for one. However, what makes and "Assault Weapon" an"Assault Weapon"? They are nothing more than a semi-automatic rifle with cosmetic enhancements. They shoot the same bullets as rifles which are on approved lists, they just look different.

"Mother Jones"recently published an article looking at mass shootings between 1982 through 2012. They found during that period, “Assault Weapons” were involved 35 times.During that same time period just under 600,000 murders were committed in the United States. Are the “Assault Weapons” really the problem?

Mark
                Last edited by ToUtahNow; 01-17-2013, 08:27 PM.
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  To the OP:

I believe when you look at the attacks made against our Second Amendments Right, the NRA is doing what they need to do to get noticed.

Living in Canada, I know your gun privileges have already been cut way back. One of my sons lived in Ontario for a few years. I live in California so until earlier this week we had the toughest restricted gun list in the Nation. I do not own a single Para-military style weapon. Not because I have anything against them, I just don't have a need for one. However, what makes and "Assault Weapon" an"Assault Weapon"? They are nothing more than a semi-automatic rifle with cosmetic enhancements. They shoot the same bullets as rifles which are on approved lists, they just look different.

"Mother Jones"recently published an article looking at mass shootings between 1982 through 2012. They found during that period, “Assault Weapons” were involved 35 times.During that same time period just under 600,000 murders were committed in the United States. Are the “Assault Weapons” really the problem?

Mark
                  Mark the President and our legislators know who is doing the killing and with what. Clearly, the mission here is not to make children or the general public safer from gun violence. They are doing an excellent job of killing the clock on fixing the economy. Distractions, distractions!

Comment

Regardless, I do know some changes will be implemented if for no other reason than to appease the public.
                    This is the attitude that NY took on passing their recent changes to their gun laws. They just wanted to be first to get a law on the books so they could hold it up and say "look what we did". NJ will probably be next, there are a couple stupid laws being sponsered right now, one which willtake your 2nd Amendment rights away without even touching them by requiring a mental evaluation of the gun owner and anyone living in the home. To refuse is to be declared mentally unfit and thereby disqualified from owning a gun.

I think the NRA is doing adecent job, but I think they could do better in presenting their position and in explaining their views. The comparison of the Presidents children being protected and the averzge citizins are not may be a stretch, bit it gets people thinking "my kids are just as important to the future of this country as anyone elses", so on that respect I think it works at getting the point across.
                    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

The other day I heard on the radio that Jesse Jackson (I think it was him) said we shouldn't have assault weapons cause those individuals could take an airplane down.

Hmmm...that same person could do it with a high powered rifle, so I don't see the difference. Jesse Jackson looked like a complete idiot for saying that, as he has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to fire arms.

Also high capacity magazines...so let's say they require us to have a max of 10 rounds in a clip, how fast could each one us fire the rifle and switch out for a new clip? There are plenty of clips on youtube of people rapid firing and changing out clips fast, so the high capacity magazine ban makes no sense to me.

Lastly...I believe in having so called "Assault weapons", because our framers stated in the 2nd amendment that they want a "well regulated" Militia (us) to be able to battle the government for a free society. If the Government can have them..so can we!

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                        Lastly...I believe in having so called "Assault weapons", because our framers stated in the 2nd amendment that they want a "well regulated" Militia (us) to be able to battle the government for a free society. If the Government can have them..so can we!
                        lol, So do you think the average citizen should also own tanks, fighter jets, submarines and nuclear weapons since the government has those two?

You will probably agree the line needs to be drawn somewhere, it's just figuring out where it needs to be and if that line is based on what the government has then that is going to be some line.

As for the clips, I am fine with 10. As mentioned, on youtube people can change them pretty quick but when the adrenaline is pumping and your shaking, I would rather that 11'th person who is to be shot at have an extra second or too if possible.

Jesse Jackson, pfft, when was the last time that guy ever have anything useful to ad to the conversation.

Comment

lol, So do you think the average citizen should also own tanks, fighter jets, submarines and nuclear weapons since the government has those two?
                          None of those things you mention has anything to do with the 2nd amendment, and in fact were not even a thought back in 1787, which has nothing to do with the framers of our constitution.

Comment

"As for the clips, I am fine with 10. As mentioned, on youtube people can change them pretty quick but when the adrenaline is pumping and your shaking, I would rather that 11'th person who is to be shot at have an extra second or too if possible."

I would rather the first person to be shot, shot first and saved 1 thru 11.
                            26+6=1

Comment

If our legislators are looking to save lives how about mental evalutaions to drive a car? Or retesting every five years? How many people die every day from lousy drivers? I know it's not as hard hitting as the tragic events where twenty lives are lost to bullets shot by a madman, but they are still lives cut short.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                                None of those things you mention has anything to do with the 2nd amendment, and in fact were not even a thought back in 1787, which has nothing to do with the framers of our constitution.
                                As it was never the thoughts about the possibility of innocent kids being slaughtered in school, mass killings at public places, manufactures that glorify and market fire arms in the matter they are today, and the abundance of uncared people with mental disabilities.

Yes, times have changed. The Ideals of what was, are no longer. Adjustment is not only needed, but necessary.

Just remember, this is 2013, not 1787.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                                X